C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Navi Plays MP3s

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 08:37 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Default My Navi Plays MP3s Updated

after the one that came with the car was replaced under warranty today due to a non-functioning automatic volume control (AVC)...

Picked the car up this evening and popped in a CD with MP3s just for sh*ts 'n grins. VOILA...music comes out of the speakers...

Obviously the replacement headunit is an '06 model and I was fortunate enough to get it.

So, if you really want a replacement, verify if your automatic volume control is not functioning and if it isn't, get it replaced under warranty.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Realtor Dan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what automatic volum??
Old 10-27-2005, 09:54 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Any pics?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Mocoso
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! Damn my automatic volume isnt working but I didnt want to go through the effort of the dealer... then again Ive yet to hear someone mention their automatic volume works at all...
Old 10-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Velocity Jonny
Instructor

Funny this should come up tonight, because this was the night that I tried an MP3 disc in my 06. Worked perfectly.

I don't think my automatic volume is working though. And I can't seem to dim my instrument panel lights. That little switch is crap, and does nothing, as far as I can tell. It's a practical joke on simple people like me.

Seriously, can anyone dim their panel lights?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:37 PM
dsl
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06 / '15

Originally Posted by Velocity Jonny
Try holding the **** after rotating it counter-clockwise. It should dim after a couple seconds. But you have to hold it. ... I think.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:39 PM
dsl
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06 / '15

Originally Posted by LJD51
after the one that came with the car was replaced under warranty today due to a non-functioning automatic volume control...

Picked the car up this evening and popped in a CD with MP3s just for sh*ts 'n grins. VOILA...music comes out of the speakers...

Obviously the replacement headunit is an '06 model and I was fortunate enough to get it.

So, if you really want an replacement, verify if your automatic volume control is not functioning and if it isn't, get it replaced under warranty.
How do they verify it's not working? Don't you have to set the volume while on the highway, then exit the interstate or something? It's such a suttle thing ...
Old 10-28-2005, 03:30 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dsl
How do they verify it's not working? Don't you have to set the volume while on the highway, then exit the interstate or something? It's such a suttle thing ...
AVC is something that you can set from low, medium to high. It works on all the "cheaper" radios. As you accelerate the volume should adjust according to calculated "road noise" by the designers. It doesn't actually know how much noise there is, just assumes it's happening. HIGH gives you big jumps in volume.

Mine has never worked, but when I put the top down the radio makes a big jump in volume. Compensating for the top being down of course!!

HTH - I may ask them to work on my radio when the transmission is out next week. I'm getting a viscious hummmm/whine.

JK
Old 10-28-2005, 06:12 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

And I can't seem to dim my instrument panel lights. That little switch is crap, and does nothing, as far as I can tell. It's a practical joke on simple people like me.

It doesn't work like a volume control. The switches contacts only connect at the end of the ****'s rotation. The longer you hold the **** to the extreme left or right the more the lights are dimmed or brightened.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:37 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Funny this should come up tonight, because this was the night that I tried an MP3 disc in my 06. Worked perfectly.

I don't think my automatic volume is working though. And I can't seem to dim my instrument panel lights. That little switch is crap, and does nothing, as far as I can tell. It's a practical joke on simple people like me.

Do you have the nav ?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Velocity Jonny
Instructor

Yes, I have NAV.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:07 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Update

Although the new OEM HU plays MP3s now, the fricking AVC is still not functioning .

According to the car owner manual (page 3-80), the nav system manual (page 3-3) and low and behold, GM Customer Service, there should be four buttons to choose from after pressing the "Audio/Adjust Screen" button on the left of the HU under the "NAV" button.

I called the service writer and he is going to have the "radio man" who replaced the HU call me when he comes in.

If I have to take it back for another replacement, I will make sure they give me another '06 HU.

More to come.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:30 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Originally Posted by Realtor Dan
what automatic volum??
Read your manual...
Old 10-28-2005, 11:28 AM
masihman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

John, I agree. My HU doesn't display any of the buttons for level. I only can turn it on or off. Doesn't work really well either.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:47 PM
C5ROADRUNNER
Instructor

Default Same here, choices are ON or OFF

Originally Posted by masihman
John, I agree. My HU doesn't display any of the buttons for level. I only can turn it on or off. Doesn't work really well either.
I assume the BOSE radio with in dash CD changer has the ACL has the low-med-high variable settings. On my NAV version I can't find anything other than ON or OFF choice on the screen.

Should I also assume the NAV's ACL attenuation range is not very dramatic? I recall the C5 radio range was quite noticeable.

I would love to take the NAV unit to the dealer and use this as an excuse to get the '06 NAV that is MP3 capable. The delays for the upgrade are unreasonable and likely just a smoke screen for something that will never appear. I HOPE I AM WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried out this feature and could tell no difference ON or OFF. The NAV manual claims it works best at lower levels. How do we prove it's not working?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:39 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

my 1sa speed controlled volume doesn't work either.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Need 4 Speed
Pro

sweet deal.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:57 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by LJD51
after the one that came with the car was replaced under warranty today due to a non-functioning automatic volume control (AVC)...

So, if you really want a replacement, verify if your automatic volume control is not functioning and if it isn't, get it replaced under warranty.
When your head unit was replaced, did you lose your saved NAV locations? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:33 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C5ROADRUNNER
I assume the BOSE radio with in dash CD changer has the ACL has the low-med-high variable settings. On my NAV version I can't find anything other than ON or OFF choice on the screen.

Should I also assume the NAV's ACL attenuation range is not very dramatic? I recall the C5 radio range was quite noticeable.

I would love to take the NAV unit to the dealer and use this as an excuse to get the '06 NAV that is MP3 capable. The delays for the upgrade are unreasonable and likely just a smoke screen for something that will never appear. I HOPE I AM WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried out this feature and could tell no difference ON or OFF. The NAV manual claims it works best at lower levels. How do we prove it's not working?
The Nav radio doesn't work the same as the 6CD changer radio. It uses a system called Audio Pilot. It has a microphone that listens to ambient cabin noise and adjusts the volume to compensate for the noise it "hears". All you have is an on or off control.

The test you're supposed to do to check if it is working is to sit in the car with the radio on and the Audio Pilot feature turned on, then turn the heater fan to maximum. The radio volume should increase. The change is subtle, and it isn't instantaneous. You have to wait a few seconds for it to change. (It works off a running average, otherwise impulse noises would pump the radio volume up and down in an annoying way.)

Get notified of new replies

To My Navi Plays MP3s

Quick Reply: My Navi Plays MP3s