C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Crack NAV Screen Diag PIN Code

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ein Tier
Aggghhh, we need more details!

Seriously, do you think he'd entertain talking to one of us? If he could just send a little bit of software my way or even some tech docs....

You don't know how long I've been looking for someone who's actually worked on a Denso navigation project. There must be one HELL of an NDA, because literally no one will talk to me about it.

[edit]
Now, someone found the scan tool for the tires in the dealer catalog, can someone do that for this tool?
I don't think its so much the NDA is that anyone who knows anything about it is in Japan. But if we could find them, they might send us the のナビゲーション・システムの技術的なマニュアル。 for the nav unit. Then we'd just need someone to translate it!

I'm sure the tool in question is a Tech 2 - we know it can talk to the radio via the class 2 bus. The special part would be loading the software ("calibration" in GMspeak) for the radio.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:33 PM
orion007
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have access to a Tech2 tool. My brother-in-law works as a GM mechanic and he brought home a tech2 the other day to work on another car. If I can get access to it over a weekend at the shop what woudl I need to do...
Old 08-30-2006, 04:42 PM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orion007
I have access to a Tech2 tool. My brother-in-law works as a GM mechanic and he brought home a tech2 the other day to work on another car. If I can get access to it over a weekend at the shop what woudl I need to do...
i would start by entering in the codes that people have uncovered to see what if anything they produce.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Originally Posted by orion007
Probably load the nav configuration from the GM online resource. Not sure exactly how this works, but there is a place where they get software upgrades, etc. similar to TechLink.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:56 PM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I spent two hours today with the a friend who is a gm tech. We pulled up every sub menu on the OBD scan Tech II tool. There is nothing you can enter that affects the navigation sub menus. I even opened up the diagnostic menus from the PIN entries and there is nothing.

I did find this though:

There is different Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM)
and Traffic information Receiver (UZD/U3Z) for export C6's only. These are parts that can be ordered and added to our navigation systems. It may work like the XM Nav traffic function on the AVIC Z1 units that do real time traffic updates? The part numbers are:

OEM: 12047663
OEM: 4F1012-0001

The document ID # for the tech screens is: 1480961
Old 08-30-2006, 10:44 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

Sounds like it would do the XM traffic thing. Is the Vehicle Communication Interface Module a replacement for one we already have?

I think someone's going to have to order the parts, plug them in and see what they do. What's the cost?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:54 PM
youngs98
Instructor

Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Buffy
Drifting

As I understand it (and this is partly guesswork) the VCIM is installed in domestic cars that have OnStar and (a different version) in export cars with nav. In the latter case it uses the traffic information transmitted in many countries on the cell phone network. As far as I know, there's no such information sent in the US, and if there was it would be more complex because the US uses four different and incompatible cell phone systems where the rest of the world (aside from Korea, I think) uses one system.

I know that the US OnStar used AMPS (analog) protocols, the newer or upgraded one would use CDMA (used by Verizon). Most other countries use GSM. I don't know how much of the cell phone transceiver is in the VCIM or if there's a separate module for that.

I understand there is some traffic information transmitted (or soon to be - not sure about this) on XM for some cities. This would work with the nav radio and XM; I don't know if this would require a VCIM but I don't think so.

So I kind of doubt that transplanting a European / Japanese VCIM would do us much good unless there's a GSM carrier sending traffic information.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:21 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffy
As I understand it (and this is partly guesswork) the VCIM is installed in domestic cars that have OnStar and (a different version) in export cars with nav. In the latter case it uses the traffic information transmitted in many countries on the cell phone network. As far as I know, there's no such information sent in the US, and if there was it would be more complex because the US uses four different and incompatible cell phone systems where the rest of the world (aside from Korea, I think) uses one system.

I know that the US OnStar used AMPS (analog) protocols, the newer or upgraded one would use CDMA (used by Verizon). Most other countries use GSM. I don't know how much of the cell phone transceiver is in the VCIM or if there's a separate module for that.

I understand there is some traffic information transmitted (or soon to be - not sure about this) on XM for some cities. This would work with the nav radio and XM; I don't know if this would require a VCIM but I don't think so.

So I kind of doubt that transplanting a European / Japanese VCIM would do us much good unless there's a GSM carrier sending traffic information.
Just as a side note, Cingular/ATT are transitioning to GSM if you have nationwide service they encourage you to go to GSM or pay $4.99 a month more to stay on the old system. So there could be traffic info sometime in the future on US GSM systems.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:56 AM
TheDaveMan
Racer

Originally Posted by Buffy

I'm in Europe and we receive traffic info through RDS not GSM. So I would have thought that you don't need extra part to receive those infos since they are coming out of plain RDS reception.
I started a thread about it a bit earlier: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1484178
I'm sending a copy of my European DVD to a forum member, so it might be of some help.

BTW, the diag codes are working on my unit as well (they bring the same menus apparently so ne defeating the "I agree" either).
Old 08-31-2006, 10:24 AM
robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by DCBE
Just as a side note, Cingular/ATT are transitioning to GSM if you have nationwide service they encourage you to go to GSM or pay $4.99 a month more to stay on the old system. So there could be traffic info sometime in the future on US GSM systems.
Didn't that happen like 5 yrs ago? I think they are presently transitioning to 3G.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheDaveMan
I'm in Europe and we receive traffic info through RDS not GSM. So I would have thought that you don't need extra part to receive those infos since they are coming out of plain RDS reception.
I started a thread about it a bit earlier: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1484178
I'm sending a copy of my European DVD to a forum member, so it might be of some help.

BTW, the diag codes are working on my unit as well (they bring the same menus apparently so ne defeating the "I agree" either).
Interesting. Our radios receive RDS, but as far as I know it doesn't really integrate with the nav, just displays a message. But maybe I just haven't received the right message! There's not a lot of RDS in the US except for station advertising and album / track name stuff.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 AM
LewisJacko
1st Gear

Hey guys, I'm from the UK. My dad has a brand new Land rover Discovery, or and LR3 to you guys in america. The sat nav looks exactly like yours and today i scanned the disc in, and the files are exactly the same EXCEPT without the "coverage" folder. Diag pins that we use are:

1791: unlocks searching for addresses etc. on the move
753: diagnostics

These are land rover but look exactly the same to the photos you have posted. If you guys want to know anything about the UK sat nav then please ask
Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 PM
RAP
Pro

In all the great hacking you guys have done, has anyone figured out how to get radio stations on a US spec car to dial in radio station that end in an even decimal? Europe uses a lot of these stations to include US military suppported stations. (this makes no sense to me, knowing a lot of us have US spec cars that can tune into those stations)

I would greatly appreciat if you guys could find that part too.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 AM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I found this for the Prius NAV systems.

http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm

It allows the use of the system while driving on the '04 and '05 Prius.

I also came across this for the Prius but it doesn't seem to work on my Vette, even though the systems are similar.

http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Toyo...ation-Gray-out

Don
Old 09-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisJacko
Hey guys, I'm from the UK. My dad has a brand new Land rover Discovery, or and LR3 to you guys in america. The sat nav looks exactly like yours and today i scanned the disc in, and the files are exactly the same EXCEPT without the "coverage" folder. Diag pins that we use are:

1791: unlocks searching for addresses etc. on the move
753: diagnostics

These are land rover but look exactly the same to the photos you have posted. If you guys want to know anything about the UK sat nav then please ask
Has anyone tried these codes yet?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Has anyone tried these codes yet?
Yes. 1791 was one of the first we tried. Codes do seem to get reused, but ours appear to be unique -- no one's gotten our three codes to work on any other nav, and no one else's codes have worked in ours.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Crack NAV Screen Diag PIN Code

Old 10-02-2006, 11:27 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to sound like an idiot ... but shouldnt this code be in the Service Manual for the C6? wouldn't a technician need it to diagnose the unit?s
Old 10-02-2006, 11:35 AM
TheDaveMan
Racer

Originally Posted by AP
Not to sound like an idiot ... but shouldnt this code be in the Service Manual for the C6? wouldn't a technician need it to diagnose the unit?s
The unit is not manufactured by GM but a Japanese company called Denso, so only Denso engineers apparently have these codes.

All of the GM people I talked to over here (in Europe) have no idea there is a diag screen, I don't think they're supposed to fix any of this, if the unit fails, they just replace it, they probably won't go inside the electronics to fix it.

Now there is a lot of integration between the head unit and the rest of the car, so there is probably someone at GM that knows a lot more about the Denso unit...
Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 AM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AP
it's considered a non-serviceable item. They replace it as a whole.

Quick Reply: Help Crack NAV Screen Diag PIN Code