C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I regret buying a coupe without Z51?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 01:07 AM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pozzo
The previous post was from a C6 Sticky (not C5). This post is also from a C6 Sticky post:

"I knew F55/F51 would get the a stir going. At New Hampshire GM Training, the engineer on suspensions stated "F51 is hardcore boy racer that a lot of people will buy by mistake". He also said the F55 is "worth the money because it compensates for road imperfections and still gives a high level of handling not found in the base suspension. It also will compensate for shock wear in the valving as the car ages and accumulates miles". He actually said that 75% of all Corvettes sold should be equipped with F55. And here's one for ya, another trainer said the average Corvette buyer is male.....50+ years old! The indignity of it all!"
so all you women and old guys can get the MSRC and the rest of us will take our vettes Z51 equipped. I think the thread starter ended up getting a Z51 and loving it anyways.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:09 AM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeffgdula
so all you women and old guys can get the MSRC and the rest of us will take our vettes Z51 equipped. I think the thread starter ended up getting a Z51 and loving it anyways.
nevermind, it was somebody else that made the good decision.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Pozzo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

, the Magnetic Selective Ride package ($1675) is truly the thinking man's alternative when it comes to suspension.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:22 AM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

, the Magnetic Selective Ride package ($1675) is truly the thinking man's alternative when it comes to suspension.
what a profund statement...
the Z51 is the driving man's only choice, and need's no alternatives
Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 AM
Pozzo
Pro

Good quote from previous post:
"Z51 has the stereotypical Corvette "go-fast" emotional buyers in a feeding frenzy right now. GM knows exactly what buttons to push to get these types running up full of excitement and check in hand.

F55 was never targeted to be a better seller than the other packages. In fact, its beauty is that it appeals to the more refined, sofisticated and more technologically demanding owner that is apart from the median of typical Corvette buyers. F55, especially with the new A6 transmission coming, is ringing the dinner bell for even the most discerning Euro roadster enthusiast.

Z51's dedicated sport-tuned (racetrack ready) package caters to the impulsive buyer, not one insistent on maximum, modern diversification like F55. The former has many examples. The latter has almost none."
Old 10-10-2005, 01:40 AM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

Good quote from previous post:
"Z51 has the stereotypical Corvette "go-fast" emotional buyers in a feeding frenzy right now. GM knows exactly what buttons to push to get these types running up full of excitement and check in hand.

F55 was never targeted to be a better seller than the other packages. In fact, its beauty is that it appeals to the more refined, sofisticated and more technologically demanding owner that is apart from the median of typical Corvette buyers. F55, especially with the new A6 transmission coming, is ringing the dinner bell for even the most discerning Euro roadster enthusiast.

Z51's dedicated sport-tuned (racetrack ready) package caters to the impulsive buyer, not one insistent on maximum, modern diversification like F55. The former has many examples. The latter has almost none."
I didnt buy the car to be "diverse". If I wanted a Cadillac, I would've bought one. I wanted and bought a sports car. Sorry, I'm not a "Euro roadster enthusiast" who likes paddle shifters and automatic transmissions.

Im not sure what your BS quotes have to do with anything. He asked if he would regret going from a C5 Z51 a C6 without it. The C6 is more easier riding than the C5 also equaipped with Z51. I have read several posts of people not getting Z51 and regretting it (hence adding new sway bars, etc...) I can think of a single thread I read of someone saying, "man I wish I had spent $400 more to get a less sporty ride and lose a bunch of other parts")
Old 10-10-2005, 01:59 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I didnt buy the car to be "diverse". If I wanted a Cadillac, I would've bought one. I wanted and bought a sports car. Sorry, I'm not a "Euro roadster enthusiast" who likes paddle shifters and automatic transmissions.
Exactly. If I had wanted a cruiser with a floaty ride, I would not have bought a Corvette. There are lots of cars better suited for cruising. A good pre owned Lexus LS 430 comes to mind.

Im not sure what your BS quotes have to do with anything. He asked if he would regret going from a C5 Z51 a C6 without it. The C6 is more easier riding than the C5 also equaipped with Z51. I have read several posts of people not getting Z51 and regretting it (hence adding new sway bars, etc...) I can think of a single thread I read of someone saying, "man I wish I had spent $400 more to get a less sporty ride and lose a bunch of other parts")

I never see any posts here from Z51 owners wanting to change out to the stock swaybars of the F55 optioned cars, or the base rotors of the F55, or the base springs of the F55, and in the case of the manuals, the base gearing of the F55.

I never hear about people wanting to remove their oil coolers from Z51 equipped cars.

But I do see, at least once a week, where most of the Z51 swaybars are bought by owners F55 optioned cars. And in those few cases wherever gear swaps are discussed, they are likely discussed by non Z51 owners.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-10-2005 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Pozzo
Pro

I don't understand your comment about the word "diverse" and buying a Cadillac. Could you please explain that?
There have been many posts on this thread comparing the Z51 suspension to the F55 and that is what my BS quotes were addressing.
Adding a set of sway bars to a base suspension does not indicate that they regretted not getting the Z51.
The gist of the posts is that the F55 suspension is a revolutionary development that is superior to the suspension of the Z51. The rest of the stuff that comes with the Z51 is, for the most part, useless; coolers, squeaky cross drilled brakes, tires that wear out after 9000 miles, unless of course you are a "hardcore boy racer." I wanted to give the original poster more information on the F55 suspension so that he might consider it as well.
Reread the posts and try to calm down a bit.

Reread what the posts hhave to say about the F55 suspension
Old 10-10-2005, 02:36 AM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

I don't understand your comment about the word "diverse" and buying a Cadillac. Could you please explain that?
There have been many posts on this thread comparing the Z51 suspension to the F55 and that is what my BS quotes were addressing.
Adding a set of sway bars to a base suspension does not indicate that they regretted not getting the Z51.
The gist of the posts is that the F55 suspension is a revolutionary development that is superior to the suspension of the Z51. The rest of the stuff that comes with the Z51 is, for the most part, useless; coolers, squeaky cross drilled brakes, tires that wear out after 9000 miles, unless of course you are a "hardcore boy racer." I wanted to give the original poster more information on the F55 suspension so that he might consider it as well.
Reread the posts and try to calm down a bit.

Reread what the posts hhave to say about the F55 suspension
despite what you may think or wish to believe nothing you could post would disrupt my calmness. When I used diverse it was a modified tense of the word diversification that you used in a quote. Of course the MSRC is a more high tech system. That doesnt make it better by any strecth. The honda v-tech is a vastly superior engine in terms of technology. Would you like your Corvette equipped with one as well? To call the F55 superior to the Z51 is laughable. This is a sports car afterall.
But I shall refrain from arguing this point with you any further because all you do is quote others' dribble. To call improved brakes, stickier tires, and coolers worthless shows your wants in a car. You really should sell your Corvette and get an LS430. It really would be more fitting and is vastly superior in technology to suit your tastes.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:07 AM
Pozzo
Pro

despite what you may think or wish to believe nothing you could post would disrupt my calmness. When I used diverse it was a modified tense of the word diversification that you used in a quote. Of course the MSRC is a more high tech system. That doesnt make it better by any strecth. The honda v-tech is a vastly superior engine in terms of technology. Would you like your Corvette equipped with one as well? To call the F55 superior to the Z51 is laughable. This is a sports car afterall.
But I shall refrain from arguing this point with you any further because all you do is quote others' dribble. To call improved brakes, stickier tires, and coolers worthless shows your wants in a car. You really should sell your Corvette and get an LS430. It really would be more fitting and is vastly superior in technology to suit your tastes.
In fact, I would like my Corvette equipped with an engine that had double overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder and other modern technolgy .
So you're saying that the Corvette with the F55 is not a sports car, only the Z51 is a sports car.
You say you'll refrain from arguing the point any further and then in the very next sentence you do exactly that.
The brakes are only better if you plan on doing laps on a track which require lots of hard braking and thus reducing fade. Coolers as well are not of any use on the street. Softer compound tires do improve handling but at the expense of greatly increased wear, but as I said the point of my comments concerned the suspension.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Vette owner wannabe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black04Vert
I'd get the F55 shocks and add all the Z51 options (less the springs) to provide a wicked racing machine that was also cushy on the bumps when you wanted it to be.
I'd check facts with a reputable tuner before doing that. I vaguely recall threads on this forum (or C5 forum?) stating that the magnetic fluid in the shocks is not be able to handle the stress of regular tracksessions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a reason that the base suspension is not available in Europe, the Z51 "option" is standard equipment.

/
Old 10-10-2005, 01:48 PM
7 OUT
Racer

I initially ordered the base and wrung my hands for a week before calling my dealer and changing my order to include the Z51 package. A decision I have not regretted. Not only do I absolutely love the shorter gears on the Z51 mn6 but the tires are a hoot. I have over 10K on them and I expect them to last at least 20K. When I first ordered the Z51 package, I thought I'd replace the tires with base tires when they wore out. I doubt I'll do that, I'm having too much fun with the supercar tires.

My DIC is set to show the oil temp most of the time so that I know when it is warm enough for more aggresive driving. I'm amazed at how well the oil cooler works at keeping the oil temps constant once the car warms up which has got to be a good thing.

I have no intention of bringing the car to the track, I use it as a daily driver and for long trips and have found the Z51 with mn6 is still the right set up for me.

Dana
Old 10-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Paul Scarpelli
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 7 OUT
I initially ordered the base and wrung my hands for a week before calling my dealer and changing my order to include the Z51 package. A decision I have not regretted. Not only do I absolutely love the shorter gears on the Z51 mn6 but the tires are a hoot. I have over 10K on them and I expect them to last at least 20K. When I first ordered the Z51 package, I thought I'd replace the tires with base tires when they wore out. I doubt I'll do that, I'm having too much fun with the supercar tires.

My DIC is set to show the oil temp most of the time so that I know when it is warm enough for more aggresive driving. I'm amazed at how well the oil cooler works at keeping the oil temps constant once the car warms up which has got to be a good thing.

I have no intention of bringing the car to the track, I use it as a daily driver and for long trips and have found the Z51 with mn6 is still the right set up for me.

Dana
No more calls, we have a winner! I couldn't have said it better. Obviously you're not one of the majority who thinks Z51 is only a stiff suspension, period.

I've mentioned it here a half dozen times, and it doesn't seem to sink in, but the short M6 gear ratios; comparable to changing the 3.42 to a 3.73; are the biggest advantage to me. Also, the C6 Z51 suspension is much more supple and not at all punishing. I can say this, having owned both C5 and C6 Z51s.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my Z51 package. That's all.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Will I regret buying a coupe without Z51?

yes!
Old 10-10-2005, 07:21 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli
No more calls, we have a winner! I couldn't have said it better. Obviously you're not one of the majority who thinks Z51 is only a stiff suspension, period.

I've mentioned it here a half dozen times, and it doesn't seem to sink in, but the short M6 gear ratios; comparable to changing the 3.42 to a 3.73; are the biggest advantage to me. Also, the C6 Z51 suspension is much more supple and not at all punishing. I can say this, having owned both C5 and C6 Z51s.
Yep, we do have a winner

Its beyond 3.73s. You'd need 3.90s to make the two cars comparable.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:30 PM
JeffMc
Burning Brakes

Get what you *want*. If you don't you'll always be disappointed.

Get notified of new replies

To Will I regret buying a coupe without Z51?

Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM
corvette05
Racer

Default Z51 Or Bust

Originally Posted by Vegas Sam
Haha, I've walked past another C6 and the 1st thing I did was look at the brakes--- non Z51. I then peeked in the window, saw the A4.
Thought to myself, p*ssy.....

To each his own, buy what makes you happy.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:45 PM
corvette05
Racer

Default Z51

OK ive heard enough...all z51s on one side , all non-z51s on the other
lets get ready to rumble!!!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 07:47 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Some of these responses are really getting goofy. It's like telling someone that they are wrong if they like Pepsi better than Coca Cola.

Quick Reply: Will I regret buying a coupe without Z51?