C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar is Way COOOL !

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:54 PM
clambros
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OnStar is Way COOOL !

OK .. I never thought this would happen to me (after all, I'm smarter than the average bear .. right ?? NOT !)

Keys in briefcase .. open trunk of vert .. briefcase in trunk .. close trunk .. keys and briefcase now in trunk

Trunk & doors won't open .. I guess the remote was not within antenna range.

Call Chevrolet roadside (sticker on window) .. transfer to onstar .. within a few seconds .. BINGO .. doors unlock .. Entire call duration 4:27 ..

Tell me how fricken this technology stuff is
Old 09-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Onstar is re occurring revenue and is not worth the time or money
Old 09-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Car doesn't seem to "recognize" the keys are in it unless they go through one of the 2 doors, not the hatch.

I'll bet the author of this thread thinks OnStar is worth it.

A few others do too.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 09-09-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Tropical'67
Drifting

Originally Posted by clambros
OK .. I never thought this would happen to me (after all, I'm smarter than the average bear .. right ?? NOT !)

Keys in briefcase .. open trunk of vert .. briefcase in trunk .. close trunk .. keys and briefcase now in trunk

Call Chevrolet roadside (sticker on window) .. transfer to onstar .. within a few seconds .. BINGO .. doors unlock .. Entire call duration 4:27 ..

I wouldn't be without it.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:00 PM
BowtieBrigade
Racer

I've had Onstar on my last 3 vehicles. Love it.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:08 PM
kenhaim
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that onstar is a decent concept but I think the pricing is absolutley insane. I happened to be looking at the pricing sheet last weekend. $17 /month safe and sound. $35 / month driving/connections. Phone minutes are expensive and also expire if not used. Unless they dropped their prices by 70-80 percent, I would not consider renewing.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:18 AM
RX4WRK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
Car doesn't seem to "recognize" the keys are in it unless they go through one of the 2 doors, not the hatch.

I'll be the author of this thread thinks OnStar is worth it.

A few others do too.
Love it.

Locked my FOB inside....called 411 on my cell...asked for On-star..a direct connect and within minutes my doors were unlocked! Way cool.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:15 AM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

Originally Posted by kenhaim
I think that onstar is a decent concept but I think the pricing is absolutley insane. I happened to be looking at the pricing sheet last weekend. $17 /month safe and sound. $35 / month driving/connections. Phone minutes are expensive and also expire if not used. Unless they dropped their prices by 70-80 percent, I would not consider renewing.
I'm in the same boat. My wife did the same thing as the original poster, and we used OnStar to fish the keys out, but still.... at even $17 a month, we'd have to be locking our keys in the car on a pretty regular basis to make this a worthwhile endeavor.

With the Nav, I don't need the driving directions, and after my collision OnStar experience, well, let's just say I'm left wanting.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:39 PM
sebastienaubouin
Instructor

Onstar is pretty cool. We had a check engine light come on and I called ONSTAR. They were able to pull the code from the PCM. Some fuel computer glitch. Onstar advised that the backup system was compensating. I asked if I had to take it to a dealer a.s.a.p they said no. Dealer replaced module under warranty.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:24 PM
SMJBA
Burning Brakes

Had it on my Yukon for 3 years never used it once...let it laps..ordered Vette with all options except Onstar
Cell phone and a a spare key in my wallet will do.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:35 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe

I'll bet the author of this thread thinks OnStar is worth it.

A few others do too.
I like the features of OnStar as well. I'm a bit of a clutz sometimes, so I can see ti coming in handy. I have the OnStar # programmed in the cell just in case. Of course, if the cell is IN the car and I lock it, I'm calling GM Roadside...lol

I DO agree also that they need to drop the $ a bit. I like the diagnostic feature where they can email you the status of your 4 vital systems. Neato!

Here's a ? I noticed you can combine your Verizon wireless account with the onstar minutes. Anyone here do this? How does it work? I would consider doing it if the minutes were cheaper that way.
The hands free feature is nice as well as the voice dial.

OK, I've rambled enough
Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Guppies
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'14, '21

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
Here's a ? I noticed you can combine your Verizon wireless account with the onstar minutes. Anyone here do this? How does it work? I would consider doing it if the minutes were cheaper that way.
The hands free feature is nice as well as the voice dial.

OK, I've rambled enough
Love the original post

To the question, it works IF you have a digital On Star, which I have been advised will not be available until late October (used to be 9/1/05). In any event, I got tired of dealing with "Can You Hear Me Now" and told them "No I Can't - Good Riddance" Actually, the Cingular Black RAZR was way too to pass up and finally got fed up with the "Can You Hear Me Now" BS/poor service.

Also, the combination will be with a separate phone number assigned to the OnStar/VeryWrongSong and not your present VeryWrongSong number. If you change over, watch out for that Can You Hear Me Now company, they will definitely screw with you and charge $$$$$ to change from their system (or try to until, in my case, I reminded them that part of meeting my professional responsibilities is knowing where the court house is and how to file a law suit, so bring it on)

Will definitely keep On Star and buy my minutes separately - but with a blue tooth headset, I find myself using the OnStar less and less for phone calls.

Last edited by Guppies; 09-09-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:37 PM
z06monster
Burning Brakes

If you habitually lock your keys in your car, onstar is very very good for you.

For 99.9999% of the rest of us, not so much.

Old 09-10-2005, 06:19 PM
longboy4
Burning Brakes

Default OnStar recomended..........

...........by 9 outta 10 geriatric doctors and The Alzhymers Association!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:49 PM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

IMHO the Onstar voice recognition for the phone is the BEST out there. This includes Mercedes, Bmw, Lexus, Jag, and all the rest. I've tried them all. Now, if only they didn't screw you on the rates!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Maalox
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I have had Onstar on my last 4 vehicles. Never used it and have had quite an issue trying to get a refund when I sold the last two cars with Onstar. In particular I sold my wife's Impala in early August. She purchased another brand so there was no roll over of the service. Called Onstar for a refund of the remainder of the subscription ($70.59 according to them) OK wait a few weeks and don't see it on the bank statement. Call them again on August 20th and they say it is being processed and the refund will post on September 1. Checked tonight and still no refund posted to my account.

I do not have it on my vette and will not renew it for my suburban when it expires this November. Definitley will not purchase a car with it again.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:57 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Very nice to hear

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar is Way COOOL !

Quick Reply: OnStar is Way COOOL !