C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC6Jezybel
I put the Rustoleum product on a four year old floor last summer. I power washed it well, used a degreaser on any oil spots, then used the product just like the instructions (VCR tape) required. Worked great, looks great, and is holding up very well!! I think it is a great product.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:18 PM
corvettecarl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't buy the Rustoleum. It doesnt work. I have it in my garage, and hot tires will pick it right up. I followed the directions verbatim. Now if you not parking cars on it its OK. But if you intend on parking your car in there you will be sorry you used it.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:34 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Rustoleum Epoxy is excellent if proper prep is done. Been down about 3 months now. No hot tire lift, no stains from oil, no marks from jacks or stands. Lots of prep but, well worth it.

Before

After Mats are under tires as this was the first time on the new floor, I was nervous after hearing about hot tires peeling this stuff up. Now I pull her into the garage hot tires on the surface, and no problems.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:49 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by webdzynes
House/floor is 2 years old and in Orlando, FL. Good shape. I'm thinking the standard muriatic acid/wash and then epoxy application process should work fine...
Yes, you are good to go! Especially living in a NICE sunny climate! You have many choices! ENJOY!!!!!

Last edited by V Vette; 09-05-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:30 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

C6FirstVette, how well would it hold up to a garage that will take on a couple inches of water under major rain (i.e. hurricane style rains).
Old 09-05-2005, 06:23 PM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

My rustoleum epoxy floor has been down for 4 years, no delamination, no bubbles, no chemical damage. Some razor knife cuts from cutting up some carpet, even those cuts have not delammed or chipped.

Any material that is delaminating or bubbling did not bond to the substrate, period.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cerino2000
C6FirstVette, how well would it hold up to a garage that will take on a couple inches of water under major rain (i.e. hurricane style rains).
Not sure if this is a serious question...so I will answer this way...if you got a couple inches of water siting in you garage I would worry about other things.. on the pointed response side.. I have not idea how any product would hold up in the scenario you describe
Michael
Old 09-05-2005, 08:29 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Texaggie
A couple of years ago I put down a RaceDeck floor. I believed the advertisements that it resisted staining from oil, grease, etc. Wrong! It does stain even with frequent "down on my hands and knees" scrubbing with all kinds of cleaners. If I had it to do all over, I would go with an epoxy floor. Just my two penny's worth.
My Racedeck floor is 2 years old and looks exactly the same today as when I installed it. I use SimpleGreen to clean up oil spills etc. I have no idea what stained your tiles but I've never had a problem with mine.http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17...1Image0009.jpg
P.S. Under the RaceDeck is a pealing, lifting epoxy floor (I even pressure washed it before I acid etched it). I wouldn't put down epoxy if it was free.

Last edited by JWD01; 09-05-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Redmenace
Burning Brakes

I need to stop reading these Racedeck vs. Epoxy threads. I'm trying to decide which to put in my new place with a 400 sq ft garage and these threads just cause me to vacillate back and forth .

First I was leaning towards Racedeck but read that water got trapped underneath and caused mildew. Not a good thing since I live in Washington state and I would be parking my daily driver on it. Also thought I read that it was sort of noisy and susceptible to shifting if you stopped too quickly. Then I read the post above from a fellow Washington member who loves his Racedeck. Now back to considering Racedeck...

I think I'm still leaning towards this treatment http://www.premiergarage.com/html/flooring.html as recommended by another forum member and is comparable in price to Racedeck. Anyone have any experience with the Premier garage coating? Feel free to add to my confusion.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by icedancr
works great, did it five years ago, looks new.
Same for me, but mine was 7 yrs ago
Old 09-06-2005, 12:17 AM
FasterTraffic
Race Director

Originally Posted by Redmenace
I need to stop reading these Racedeck vs. Epoxy threads. I'm trying to decide which to put in my new place with a 400 sq ft garage and these threads just cause me to vacillate back and forth ... Feel free to add to my confusion.
I feel your pain.

On another note, there are some fantastic garages shown above. Keep posting pictures, it's great inspiration for the Yet-To-Make-A-Decision Club. I'm Club President, by the way....
Old 09-06-2005, 01:00 AM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

The Rustoleum 2-part Epoxy kit for a 2 car garage is about $100 (about $0.22 / sq ft) at Home Depot.

Add in 20 bucks for the roller, brush and disposable roller tray.

If you are considering racedeck or anything else at $3.50 /sq ft, I would suggest you gamble one days labor and the 100 bucks.

If you don't like it a week or month later, the 100 bucks pales against the $1500+ to do a complete 2 car garage.

If you do like it, the other $1400 will buy some nice mods, or a present for the wife.

Comparison based on my 22 x 22 garage.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by icedancer; 09-06-2005 at 01:03 AM. Reason: add garage floor photo
Old 09-06-2005, 05:15 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by wanta06
GM is using up the current stock of pads and hoping some owners don't know or ask about the replacement pads.
I'm confused here myself. I posted this in response to a thread asking why GM hasn't started putting the updated Z51 pads on at the factory. I have no idea how it got in this thread.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:21 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
Not sure if this is a serious question...so I will answer this way...if you got a couple inches of water siting in you garage I would worry about other things.. on the pointed response side.. I have not idea how any product would hold up in the scenario you describe
Michael
I wish I was kidding but the entire street that I live on drains into my yard and tends to pool up for a short period under terrential rains. Of course, the city won't touch it. It only happens on average once a year but does happen to where I will have 1 couple inches of water in there. Have never actually caught it standing but there will be traces of it standing at one time when I happen to go in there later.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Noleman
Racer

Originally Posted by webdzynes
Looking to cover about 800 sq. ft. of garage floor on my new house. Race deck is too expensive. I'm thinking about going with Rustoleum's epoxy finish (with the added flake) that I can get at Lowes for $200. Anybody have experience with this (or other suggestions)? Dont wanna spend a fortune but want something durable and looks good...
Yes, I put it on about 16 months ago (it is grey). On the first application I did not add sand... that was a mistake. After a few people slipped on it when it was wet from Rain/snow, etc.... I put another application down with the sand. Now, the sand definately made a difference in making it non-slip, however, after about 10 months there are spots that are turning from grey to black. It does not hold up as well as I expected from a Rustoleium product.

I want to re-do my floor before my 2006 Copupe gets here... I will NOT use Rustoleum this time.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 AM
tex929rrr
Le Mans Master

Aside from the need for proper application (especially cleaning and etching before the epoxy coats) I think there is a big difference in the quality of home and commercial coatings. Like I said in my previous post, I had a commercial firm do it - and I'm not confident that had we done it ourselves it would have come out nearly as well.

Quick Reply: New Garage floor