C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy targa top fixed! Finally!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Wakko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy targa top fixed! Finally!!!

Just brought her home from the dealer with a shiny new top and NO WIND NOISE

Service Advisor says that the problem has been identified as a bad batch of tops from the top manufacturer. The adhesive that holds the outer "skin" to the top's frame is failing. GM has identified the serial number range of the defective tops, but the only way to tell if yours is in the range is to have the dealer remove the weather strip on the top.

If you are having any wind noise, or abnormal flexing of the top, take it in and have it checked. The only fix is a new top. The Service Advisor was amazed that we did not join the "flying roof" club as the entire front section was loose from the frame!

BTW: it hasn't spent any time in the hot sun yet, but so far, no creaking either...
Old 08-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have the exact problem. I really did not want a new roof since I really wanted factory paint, not body shop paint. I guess I am out of luck.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:54 PM
wlee013
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wakko
Just brought her home from the dealer with a shiny new top and NO WIND NOISE

Service Advisor says that the problem has been identified as a bad batch of tops from the top manufacturer. The adhesive that holds the outer "skin" to the top's frame is failing. GM has identified the serial number range of the defective tops, but the only way to tell if yours is in the range is to have the dealer remove the weather strip on the top.

If you are having any wind noise, or abnormal flexing of the top, take it in and have it checked. The only fix is a new top. The Service Advisor was amazed that we did not join the "flying roof" club as the entire front section was loose from the frame!

BTW: it hasn't spent any time in the hot sun yet, but so far, no creaking either...
What's your VIN?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Periokid
I have the exact problem. I really did not want a new roof since I really wanted factory paint, not body shop paint. I guess I am out of luck.
Tops are painted separately from the car.
But exactly where, I don't know.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:02 PM
CV62
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

I had the same problem and nearly had my roof fly off at 70MPH. If you start to hear wind noise at any speed, and excess creaking, check your top asap. I have included some pics to illustrate the problem.

The first hint that a problem could be near, is the weatherstripping will start to look uneven at the roof line. This due to the top starting slight separation. Then the creaking and wind noise will follow. In my case, the top is back ordered so a short fix was needed. My dealer used some high temp epoxy and 72 hours cure time to ensure it was resealed. I picked it up today and looks good. Let you know if it lasts.

It appeared that little to NO adhesive was used on the original, and may only have had some light double sided tape in the corners while the painted top unit was joined to the bottom frame. Somehow it missed the glue stage, so be on the look out and listen to your C6.
Attached Images       
Old 08-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Wakko
Instructor

Originally Posted by wlee013
What's your VIN?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Wakko
Instructor

I was pleasantly suprised at the paint job. The color is an exact match.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:16 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Wakko
Mine is 15215 and is going in Tuesday for the fuel gauge and to check the roof, it's bulging in the middle back. Not sure why it can't be re-glued instead of replacing the whole thing. Anybody got an answer to this??, thks--E
Old 08-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck Guys!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:46 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

JHarshaw, thanks for posting the pics. I see that is quite exreme. Mine creaks like hell (vin 22309). I thought it was just me.

Wakko, is there any bulletin number that you are aware of? I hate to take it there and be considered a whiner or something.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:46 AM
Wakko
Instructor

Originally Posted by cerino2000
JHarshaw, thanks for posting the pics. I see that is quite exreme. Mine creaks like hell (vin 22309). I thought it was just me.

Wakko, is there any bulletin number that you are aware of? I hate to take it there and be considered a whiner or something.
No bulletin that I am aware of, but I'll ask on Monday. Service Advisor said he got the information from GM rep...
Old 08-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Is this problem showing only on painted tops? Mine is transparent and I've seen no problem yet.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Is this problem showing only on painted tops? Mine is transparent and I've seen no problem yet.
Yes, painted tops only.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:13 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

A transparent roof matches any paint color.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:53 PM
cmorris11
Cruising

The squeaking started on my C6 this week. Noticed the rear edge of the painted roof 1/8" higher at the center. Took the roof off this morning and found it seperating from the frame. Saw the postings here on the forum and then decided to take it to the dealer. They said it was the second C6 the had seen today for the same roof problem. They told me that another dealer in the DFW area had a C6 customer that lost his roof (seperated from the frame) going down the freeway this week. The service manager explained that the glue/adhesive is seperating presumably due to heat. They ordered a new roof for me. No hassle.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:01 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Good you got it fixed without any major hastle, GM should release a TSB on this. GM should also push their suppliers to deliver better quality products. Glad it did not fly off and hit or seriously injured someone.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Deep Silver C6 Z51
Burning Brakes

Guess you should be careful buying a "spare" top from someone.

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy targa top fixed! Finally!!!

Old 08-27-2005, 05:17 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My top was ordered three weeks ago. The top actually bulges up at speed or when it's been sitting in the sun (inside overpressure from the heat). At highway speeds, it can leak too. GM is, once again, not realeasing any announcement of the defect, hoping it will go away, or folks won't notice.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:14 PM
NeedaC6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like mine is having this issue also, but my VIN is 29732. I guess the 100+ degree Texas heat is too much for the glue to hold.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:54 PM
JSMDMD
Melting Slicks

Default Typical GM response..

Originally Posted by catbert
My top was ordered three weeks ago. The top actually bulges up at speed or when it's been sitting in the sun (inside overpressure from the heat). At highway speeds, it can leak too. GM is, once again, not realeasing any announcement of the defect, hoping it will go away, or folks won't notice.
It won't go away, just like the pulley bolt problem didn't go away just because GM didn't want to do a recall.

Quick Reply: Noisy targa top fixed! Finally!!!