C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO START and dealer B.S. long

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 05:57 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Default NO START and dealer B.S. long

Wow did I learn a lot from my dealer today. People in the forum and the other groups do not know anything... Brought my 2 month old C6 Vert in for the second time for the dreaded no start. Kinda got in an argument with the service rep and he sent me to the service manager, who told me we are all dummies on the groups and not to pay attention to what AMATURES say.

Starting from the top I brought my Vert in last week after a no start condition. The car was driven Sunday and was well charged up. 6spd WAS in Reverse, Column was locked, I checked! Sat 2 day’s door would open, but no start. Got charger on 12 amps for a couple minuets and it started, but got about 10 different messages on DIC. Took to dealer and he fixed my tire monitors that died during the episode. Could find nothing wrong, but showed me a TSB dated Jan that said off brand cell phone chargers could do some funny electrical things in new Vettes. He told me not to leave phone in console. OK I will do that, but phone is a big name brand, and I only charge in house.No charger IS in car.
Went for a long ride again this Sunday, did Pilot to Copilot by the numbers shutdown/ all is ok, looked at car yesterday, blinking light by radio was doing its thing
Went down today to drive car and I noticed that no blinking light on dash (o **** I thought)

Yep nothing, door would not open. Called dealer and he said to call the 800 number for tow. They show up an hour later, but driver said car would probably be damaged if he flat bedded it. Ok give me a jump, but I told him the dealer does not want that done. The dealer said only to charge with BOTH cables disconnected <<< I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE THAT IN WRITING BECAUSE, I DOUBT THAT IS TRUE>>> {{Any opinions anybody}}} How do you hook up maintaince chargers if he is right.?

We had to jump it. Three minuets 10 amps on charge and it fired up all DIC function appeared to be OK. (clock was off by one hour)
Drove to dealer where I was told I was bad because I jumped it Told him I wanted new battery, he said only if it showed bad on their equipment. I repeated I WANT NEW BATTERY, then things got a little heated. He told me that GM would not pay for a new battery if mine was ok. I said who you think you’re kidding, I have bought over 50 new vehicles and know how things work. I told him this is my first vehicle here and I would fell better about new battery as a show of good faith. I will not play long with him before I start taking things higher up the chain Left car there and they will call me tomorrow.

More to follow when I go to pick up car. ANY THOUGHTS JUST JUMP RIGHT IN !!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:42 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know it's beating a dead horse but if they say the battery is good, when you get the car home go into the fuse box next to the battery and see if you have a relay#46 if so pull it out and throw it away! It is the possible cause of many DBSs.

Good luck
from an amateur dummy!!!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Had the same problem! But you know what absolutely I find astonishing, is that GM has not provided any info to dealers on the DBS problem.
Whats' up here?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:30 PM
74_LS-4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Repeat after me...

Never buy a first-year GM car...

Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

The battery will probably check out OK, and you'll be OK, until next time! So far this gremlin has not been isolated. There have been some bad batteries, but they'll see when they check it out tomorrow. I have been golden since pulling relay #46 over 6 months ago, but at least 2 on the forum have had dead batteries after pulling that relay.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
The battery will probably check out OK, and you'll be OK, until next time! So far this gremlin has not been isolated. There have been some bad batteries, but they'll see when they check it out tomorrow. I have been golden since pulling relay #46 over 6 months ago, but at least 2 on the forum have had dead batteries after pulling that relay.
If your Golden, I must be gold plated! After reading about pulling #46 last month, I did so and guess what!!!???? DBS #2. Here are the facts: my C6 is an A4, which i brought to the dealers to allow them to install a Corsa Sport exhaust system. I left the car in Neutral(they allow me drive the car into the bay and onto the lift) and as it was going upward on the lift, I noticed the parking lights were still on. I thought they would just turn off after a few minutes and totally forgot about them. 3 hours later after the exhaust was finally installed completely, I tried to start the car and guess what? Dead battery. The dealer charged it and asked me to bring it back another day to check it out. I still the battery is ok. I'm actually thinking of reinstalling it now after this 2nd run in with the battery and #46 was totally removed from the car at the time.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:42 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default You cannot use a no name cellphone charger in C-6?

Is this really a TSB?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:50 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default A 1968 Corvette is a much simplier Corvette and easier to work on

Originally Posted by 74_LS-4
Repeat after me...

Old 08-11-2005, 12:55 AM
74_LS-4
Racer

What I don't understand is that the battery-starter-electrical stuff was pretty much unchanged from the C5. One would have thought that would have been safe and troublefree.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:08 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I haven't had any problems just a cheap stereo system that came in Corvette. No crankcase pulley problem no dead battery problem everything is excellent. I keep it factory stock. Not going to mess with it or do any modifications...don't want any problems.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:13 AM
dcolehome
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
I haven't had any problems just a cheap stereo system that came in Corvette. No crankcase pulley problem no dead battery problem everything is excellent. I keep it factory stock. Not going to mess with it or do any modifications...don't want any problems.

Sorry to hear of more problems but I haven't had anything go wrong with mine...which is more than I can say about our Nissan.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:20 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No-name cellphone charger - I'd like to see the TSB on that as LS-WON says.

Most chargers have a little light on them - depending on it being LED or not would affect consumption energy.

I have not had any problems with the battery so far and it does sit a bit.

JK
Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

What the heck is the function of relay 46 anyway, and if that's the culprit how come GM can't fix this annoyance. If it's not the problem how come GM can't put a good, trouble free battery in a $50K plus car
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by purple heart
If your Golden, I must be gold plated! After reading about pulling #46 last month, I did so and guess what!!!???? DBS #2. Here are the facts: my C6 is an A4, which i brought to the dealers to allow them to install a Corsa Sport exhaust system. I left the car in Neutral(they allow me drive the car into the bay and onto the lift) and as it was going upward on the lift, I noticed the parking lights were still on. I thought they would just turn off after a few minutes and totally forgot about them. 3 hours later after the exhaust was finally installed completely, I tried to start the car and guess what? Dead battery. The dealer charged it and asked me to bring it back another day to check it out. I still the battery is ok. I'm actually thinking of reinstalling it now after this 2nd run in with the battery and #46 was totally removed from the car at the time.

Oh dear, RTFM. Leaving an auto car in neutral when you shut down does not put the car in sleep mode. It will run down the battery. To properly shut down an auto car, you must put it in park. Pure operator error on this one.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:24 AM
SimpsonH
Pro

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Could find nothing wrong, but showed me a TSB dated Jan that said off brand cell phone chargers could do some funny electrical things in new Vettes. He told me not to leave phone in console. OK I will do that, but phone is a big name brand, and I only charge in house.No charger IS in car.
:

Damn off brand cell phone chargers! I have also heard that GM can listen to your phone calls and track your position by monitoring your off brand cell phone charger. I believe this is part of a well-documented OnStar conspiracy.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:59 AM
tetsuo166
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jbal
Had the same problem! But you know what absolutely I find astonishing, is that GM has not provided any info to dealers on the DBS problem.
Whats' up here?
My thoughts are (and I believe a few others from what I have read) that GM is not providing any info to the dealers because 1) they don't have a friggin clue how to fix the problem and 2) they don't want anyone admitting that there might be a fault with the car that GM is aware of. Plausible deniability for the dealerships.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonkle
No-name cellphone charger - I'd like to see the TSB on that as LS-WON says.
JK
Reading from the paper I got from dealer dated Jan 13 2005 No crank and DIC says no fob detected (no fob was one of the messages I got first no start) The number of this message is #PIC3134A

Waiting for dealer to call(no idea when) as I write this. I will pull relay 46 when I get the car back

As I stated before I DID NOT have a charger in the car. The dealer said to be safe do not leave a cell phone in console, leave it on pass seat or take it out of the car when done driving

Get notified of new replies

To NO START and dealer B.S. long

Old 08-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading from the paper I got from dealer dated Jan 13 2005 No crank and DIC says no fob detected (no fob was one of the messages I got first no start) The number of this message is #PIC3134A....
actually i do believe some cell phone can cause interferance with the RFID tags. If I recall correctly the fobs and locality antennas (the ones that detect the fobs) use RFID technology. This being the case they are subject to interference just as any other electrical device is.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:32 AM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 107 Posts

For the un-informed newbies, what does relay 46 do?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Jay13
Race Director

Location: . [Rotorhead] "You seem to be a douche. What I'm getting at is just STFU" [/Rotorhead]
St. Jude Donor '06 & '09 & '11

The dealer said to be safe do not leave a cell phone in console, leave it on pass seat or take it out of the car when done driving

You should take your camcorder in an get that one on tape. What a complete and total crock of simmering feces. He must be thinking of NECOBDBS (Non-existent Console-only Bluetooth DBS).

Quick Reply: NO START and dealer B.S. long