C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C6 - early impressions

Old 08-01-2005, 08:08 PM
rockywoody
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New C6 - early impressions

Having spent 1200 miles with my new C6 I've already formed opinions, some good, some not. First off, 5 things that bother me:
1) CAGS - I guess it's better than paying $1K for GG tax, but man, what a PITA. Granted, it can usually be driven around (or bypassed electronically), but you have to remember to do it. An absolutely idiotic fix to improve fuel ecomony (which in the real world it doesn't since I find myself revving higher in first). Dumb.
2) Ride with the Z51 suspension. I know this is contoversial, but I found the ride over much of the interstates to be intolerable. A lot of it has to do with the deplorable condition of our interstate system, at least in the midwest and south, but I've already come to the conclusion the Z51 package is best for track use - if you want a grand tourer, get the F55 or stick with the base suspension
3) Z51 tires - not sure if the stock rubber does this, but again, ride on the rougher stretches of road was harsh. I'd attribute that to the suspension, but given anything other than smooth pavement these tires put up a howl that would put 18 wheelers to shame. After 1200 miles of this I felt sorry I didn't bring ear plugs. They'd better be good on the track...
4) Lane changing turn signals - three blinks is not enough. I tend to keep my blinker on until I've completed the move. Would have been simple to double the time, though the concept is good
5) Did I mention CAGS?

The good: Way too much to itemize, but I'll hit on the controversial subjects
1) Clutch - I had absolutely no problems with the feel or action of the clutch. My daily driver is a BMW 330i with the performance package, and the clutch on it has a CDV, so maybe I'm adapted already. I felt the action was fine and the only time I stalled was by starting out in 3rd early on when I didn't appreciate the strength of the first/second detent spring.
2) Gearbox - flat out best manual I've driven on an American car. OK, maybe not a Honda S2000, but damned close to my short throw BMW, and I suspect it'll just get better with time
3) Steering wheel - I originally thought the 06 wheel would be preferable, but I find this version to fall to hand nicely - appropriate thickness and diameter is about right for me. Can't help but chuckle when I picture the doughboy though
4) Instrumentation - flat out rocks; EXACTLY like the Corvette should have. Especially appreciate the way the guage faces are staggered. Classy and informative On an allied topic, the DIC computer is quite useful and I really like the engine/tire info
5) Exhaust note - OK, I'll admit it's quiet at idle and below 3000 RPM, but get on it a bit and it really starts to bark. I say this with a BB rt 66 awaiting installation as I like a bit more rumble, but I really think GM hit it on the nose with the stock system. It's fine for mainstream drivers, as it's not going to offend anyone if driven conservatively. But tromp on it and there's no mistaking what's going on.
As far as power and the driving experience, I'm preaching to the choir when I say it's terrific, so won't go there now. In short I really like the car - just have to stay off the interstates. Anyone know a good racetrack?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:18 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm at 900 miles in 3 weeks with my Z51 coupe. I've noticed that on really poor pavement the ride is, shall I say, "taut". Under any other conditions, however, it feels great to me. Perhaps local highway conditions ought to be a deciding factor in determining which suspension to order. If I had it to do over, I'd still opt for Z51.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:41 PM
HoleInOne
Melting Slicks

I have a Z-51 vert and took it in for the new brake pads. They had to order the pads, but while I was there I had them check the alignment.They found it out of spec. and re-aligned it under warranty. Could this cause tire noise? I haven't noticed that in mine.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:50 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rockywoody,

Do you know what your tire pressures are set at?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
c64lucky
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 'Vette is somewhat a daily Driver. I ordered C6 with standard Suspension, I doubt if I'll spend much time on the Track.

I'm glad I did. The ride is firm but all in all very comfortable. Still handles excellent!

C64Lucky
Old 08-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Maalox
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Rockwoody,

First, get the cags bypass and that issue goes away. Easy fix

I had a Z51 C5 coupe and a C5 Z06. IMHO, the ride of my C6 Z51 vert is somewhere between the two. The tires ride much better than the C5 EMTs and are much more quiet than the C5 Z06. Now that Z06 was a noisy ride on the Houston highways. You would get on the grooved pavement and I could barely hear the Corsa Indy's.

What previous type of vette are you basing your comparison on?

Cheers
Old 08-01-2005, 09:23 PM
rockywoody
Burning Brakes

rfopt: tires are inflated as they came from prep at the Museum. When at operating temp around 34 psi according tot he DIC

Maalox: No previous Vette, but can't believe they're all that noisy (and my hearing sucks). My BMW, which has 255/35 Bridgestone Potenzas on the rear, is also noisy, but significantly quieter than the C6. That might be a function of insulation and cabin harmonics as much as anything - apples and oranges really. As for CAGS, got the part, just need to get it on ASAP.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Love the base suspension!!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Great write-up, and welcome!

By the way, I have now had both a Z51 and a F55 C6. I am a pretty hardcore performance guy, and the car is a weekend car, so I would still order Z51 if I have a choice. But I got the F55 because of a great deal on a car in-stock. And guess what? I now think the F55 is a GREAT suspension. Frankly if the F55 came with the Z51 gear ratios and brakes, I would order it instead of Z51.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:32 PM
HighwaySpeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rockywoody
Having spent 1200 miles with my new C6 I've already formed opinions, some good, some not. First off, 5 things that bother me:
1) CAGS - I guess it's better than paying $1K for GG tax, but man, what a PITA. Granted, it can usually be driven around (or bypassed electronically), but you have to remember to do it. An absolutely idiotic fix to improve fuel ecomony (which in the real world it doesn't since I find myself revving higher in first). Dumb.
2) Ride with the Z51 suspension. I know this is contoversial, but I found the ride over much of the interstates to be intolerable. A lot of it has to do with the deplorable condition of our interstate system, at least in the midwest and south, but I've already come to the conclusion the Z51 package is best for track use - if you want a grand tourer, get the F55 or stick with the base suspension
3) Z51 tires - not sure if the stock rubber does this, but again, ride on the rougher stretches of road was harsh. I'd attribute that to the suspension, but given anything other than smooth pavement these tires put up a howl that would put 18 wheelers to shame. After 1200 miles of this I felt sorry I didn't bring ear plugs. They'd better be good on the track...
4) Lane changing turn signals - three blinks is not enough. I tend to keep my blinker on until I've completed the move. Would have been simple to double the time, though the concept is good
5) Did I mention CAGS?
1] Buy The $25 Item To Eliminate CAGS.

2] How Old Are You And How Many Sports Cars Have You Owned In The Past?

3] Run Flat Tires Offer A Stiffer Ride Than A Non Run Flat Tire.

4] ...

5] #1 Above
Old 08-01-2005, 09:42 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Well I am at 550 miles and about 2 weeks

Originally Posted by rockywoody
CAGS is a very minor annoyance and can be easily defeated if one should desire to.

Ride with the Z51 is perfect. Not too harsh, not too "floaty". The Z51 ride feels the way a sports car should feel.

I bought a sports car, not a Lexus LS 430, and I want it to ride like a sports car. Not a Cadillac DeVille or a Lincoln Mercury Grand Marquis.

My experiences are entirely different. Indeed the exact opposite The Eagle F1 Supercar EMTs are as quiet as church mice. As close to the perfect tire as I have ever seen. Runflat technology, silent ride with no "howling" nice, not overly harsh ride.

Of course I am coming over from a C5 with the original Runflats.

???????????Now I think you're nit picking.

5) Did I mention CAGS?
CAGS has been around since the C5. If you don't like it it is simple to address it and have it eliminated.

The good: Way too much to itemize, but I'll hit on the controversial subjects
1) Clutch - I had absolutely no problems with the feel or action of the clutch. My daily driver is a BMW 330i with the performance package, and the clutch on it has a CDV, so maybe I'm adapted already. I felt the action was fine and the only time I stalled was by starting out in 3rd early on when I didn't appreciate the strength of the first/second detent spring.
I also have no problems with the clutch.

2) Gearbox - flat out best manual I've driven on an American car. OK, maybe not a Honda S2000, but damned close to my short throw BMW, and I suspect it'll just get better with time
I agree that the gearbox is spectacular. But I have driven an S2000 and found the transmission in it to be less than stellar and offering nowhere near the shift quality of the C6.

3) Steering wheel - I originally thought the 06 wheel would be preferable, but I find this version to fall to hand nicely - appropriate thickness and diameter is about right for me. Can't help but chuckle when I picture the doughboy though
I like the doughboy too and thought I was the only one who did.

4) Instrumentation - flat out rocks; EXACTLY like the Corvette should have. Especially appreciate the way the guage faces are staggered. Classy and informative On an allied topic, the DIC computer is quite useful and I really like the engine/tire info
Coming over from the C5 they are basically the same. The HUD is much improved over that of the C5 and the Diagnostic Information Center is as well.

5) Exhaust note - OK, I'll admit it's quiet at idle and below 3000 RPM, but get on it a bit and it really starts to bark. I say this with a BB rt 66 awaiting installation as I like a bit more rumble, but I really think GM hit it on the nose with the stock system. It's fine for mainstream . drivers, as it's not going to offend anyone if driven conservatively. But tromp on it and there's no mistaking what's going on.
Like the exhaust note too compared to stock exhaust on my C5. Not nearly as mean as my C5 with KOOKS headers, high flow cats, and Corsas, but still quite respectable for a stock system. I am in no hurry to change it.

As far as power and the driving experience, I'm preaching to the choir when I say it's terrific, so won't go there now. In short I really like the car - just have to stay off the interstates. Anyone know a good racetrack?
When it was all said and done with my C5, it was making nearly 330 at the rear wheels 340 RWTQ and this car makes my A4 C5 feel slow and clumsy.

The handling is vastly superior to that of my C5, the acceleration, ride, creature comforts, ergonomics, fit and trim quality, lighting (interior and exterior) tires, console, cupholders, radio and sound quality..........all literally leave my C5 in the dust.

NOW FOR MY GRIPES:

Wheels: My C5 wheels were polished much better than the polished wheels on the C6. These are a disgrace.

Cargo area: Need that third storage bin in the center of the cargo area.

Roof Latches: On the removable top as opposed to on the windshield frame.

Roof Stowage: Definitely a step backwards.

Rear License plate area:
Absence of a frame of any sort.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-01-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
tom4416
Racer

Check your alignment NOW before you have no more tires - that's not a joke, some members have gone through a set of the supercar tires in 5000 miles, some of them related to alignment issues (and some to being over zealous in their driving habits). I have the "stock" tires and although I'm not a big fan of run flats, they are quiet and offer an exceptional ride. My friend with a Vert with Z51 doesn't have any tire noise but it does ride rougher than the base suspension in mine. I know its nit picking, but I agree on the three blink thing only because Chevy decided to add that feature and then limited it to three blinks which barely gets you started towards the other lane. If they are going to have what is a very good idea, make it last long enough to actually notify traffic of your intentions.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The Z-51 ride is hardly what I would call harsh. It feels like a sports car should. I've been driving Vettes for 34 years. This is the best riding one yet. I wouldn't want it any softer. Great touring car and great through the curves. Of course it's all a matter of personal opinion, but this is a sports car.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
The Z-51 ride is hardly what I would call harsh. It feels like a sports car should. I've been driving Vettes for 34 years. This is the best riding one yet. I wouldn't want it any softer. Great touring car and great through the curves. Of course it's all a matter of personal opinion, but this is a sports car.
It's been 29 years and 8 Corvettes for me and this is the best car ever.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:11 AM
archtop
Drifting

Get rid of the run flats and its a whole different ride....................smooth as a baby's ss
Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Need 4 Speed
Pro

Good points and views.I'm ordering the base suspension myself as I won't be on the track at all..Road is good enough for me.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
C64BC
Pro

everyone is entitled to their opinion...and thanks for sharing yours.

But you do realize (hopefully) that three blinks on the turn signal is only when you partially engage. If you press a little harder the signal will remain on and release as all normal signals do. The three blinks is primarily for lane change notification on highways or at speed...which most find very useful and practical for that matter.

I agree with the others...to say the Z51 is for track use only is not accurate. While the suspension is more stiff (as it should be), it is far from "track only". It's not supposed to feel like a cadillac.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 PM
carjon
Burning Brakes

Amazing that all have different opinions of the same items. It would be neat to drive someone else's same equipment Corvette and see if the opinion is with the driver or the car. I suspect both.
I, personally, hate the transmission. My (used to be) daily drive is a BMW 330 and it shifts so smoothly, where the Corvette is work. I occasionally struggle to get it into gear.
Z51, not as bad as I expected but when it it rough, it is really rough. It is too bad you really can't test drive each before you decide. Next Corvette who knows what suspension.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:38 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

I had the base suspension in my C5 Vert. I find the Z51 not to be hash at all. I have had other Vettes in the past that rode much harsher. I rather enjoy the ride just the way it is.
Cags in my C6 is not nearly as intrusive as it has been in my last 2 6spds, doubt I will get the eliminator. Tranny shifts nice and smooth, had to replace shifter in last 2 Vettes, doubt I will replace it in this one.
Trunk is smaller in my Vert than my 98 Vert was, but by careful packing I can make all fit.(Top down of course) This includes 2 folding chairs, cleaning bucket with necessary supplies, small cooler and clothes/ personal articles for the 2 of us. Still have a little room for items purchased at car shows. This works for a non power top, much more space is lost in the power top.

Get notified of new replies

To New C6 - early impressions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New C6 - early impressions