C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New dead battery club member!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 02:41 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default New dead battery club member!

Well, I am the newest member of the infamous dead battery club! Went to start the C6 Vert today and Zip...Nada...Nothing. I had to use the manual door lever to enter the car, I knew that I was in trouble when the door would not open electronically.

As I type this I await for the Chebby Roadside assistance service man. Hopefully It is an easy jump and go.

Footnotes: C6 Vert...MN6 (yes in reverse religiously)...1700 miles...car sat for 20 days in my garage.

I do love the car but this is unacceptable for $65K. And I also know this topic has been beat to death...still this is unacceptable in Chebby's top of the line car! My Tahoe has never let me down and has sat once for 60 days.

If this is going to be the way it is...I'm DONE! I WILL trade her. It's a shame...I've been a defender of the C6 bashers...but this is a joke. Chebby knows alot of these cars are second cars and will sit for days/weeks. There is no good reason for this. My Sunday ride in the Vert is now a Sunday wait for the roadside service man! Thanks Chebby.

Lars
Old 07-31-2005, 03:01 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Lars I have had mine for almost eleven months ,and I have had no battery trouble...
I did start it even while in winter storage every few days...
Old 07-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you remove the infamous relay? I removed mine and GM provided an upgraded battery when I had the DBS. No problems since.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:42 PM
archtop
Drifting

They replaced mine with a 7year high crank model used in p-up trucks(since thats mostly what sells around here) and haven't had a problem since.I have gone away for 10 days but never not started it for 3weeks but your right a 60k car should not have that kinda problem.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach
Well, I am the newest member of the infamous dead battery club! Went to start the C6 Vert today and Zip...Nada...Nothing. I had to use the manual door lever to enter the car, I knew that I was in trouble when the door would not open electronically.

As I type this I await for the Chebby Roadside assistance service man. Hopefully It is an easy jump and go.

Footnotes: C6 Vert...MN6 (yes in reverse religiously)...1700 miles...car sat for 20 days in my garage.

I do love the car but this is unacceptable for $65K. And I also know this topic has been beat to death...still this is unacceptable in Chebby's top of the line car! My Tahoe has never let me down and has sat once for 60 days.

If this is going to be the way it is...I'm DONE! I WILL trade her. It's a shame...I've been a defender of the C6 bashers...but this is a joke. Chebby knows alot of these cars are second cars and will sit for days/weeks. There is no good reason for this. My Sunday ride in the Vert is now a Sunday wait for the roadside service man! Thanks Chebby.

Lars
I certainly hear you!
The 'priority start' module may be the way to go.
Check it out.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:38 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I certainly hear you!
The 'priority start' module may be the way to go.
Check it out.
Please give me more info on the "priority start module"

Thanks

Lars
Old 07-31-2005, 07:25 PM
AceVentura
Racer

Please give me more info on the "priority start module"

Thanks

Lars
Just bought mine. It will be installed soon. www.prioritystart.com
Old 07-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AceVentura
Just bought mine. It will be installed soon. www.prioritystart.com
There you go!
You can also do a search for 'priority start' on the forum for more info and related testamonials.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:17 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Team Owner

Well, the roadside assistance guy could not jump it. And I got fustrated and left it alone. Figured I will be having her loaded on a rollback and sent to the dealer.

Then a short while ago I hooked up the jumper cables to my Tahoe to put up the top and windows, and left the cables hooked to the Tahoe/Vette for a few minutes with the Tahoe running. Then IT STARTED.

This is crazy. I'm not confident the car will start tomorrow (or later tonite).

Please advise...Do I need a new battery? I drove for 20-25 miles and I did pull Module #46, just to be sure. If I do have to take it to the dealer, maybe I can drive it insted of having her towed!

Also, now the window indexing does not work on the drivers side.

Thanks for any help. I love the car but I have NEVER had a car act this way (and I buy ALOT of new cars)

Lars
Old 07-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Well, the roadside assistance guy could not jump it. And I got fustrated and left it alone. Figured I will be having her loaded on a rollback and sent to the dealer.

Then a short while ago I hooked up the jumper cables to my Tahoe to put up the top and windows, and left the cables hooked to the Tahoe/Vette for a few minutes with the Tahoe running. Then IT STARTED.

This is crazy. I'm not confident the car will start tomorrow (or later tonite).

Please advise...Do I need a new battery? I drove for 20-25 miles and I did pull Module #46, just to be sure. If I do have to take it to the dealer, maybe I can drive it insted of having her towed!

Thanks for any help. I love the car but I have NEVER had a car act this way (and I buy ALOT of new cars)

Lars
Been there, done that!
I'd recharge it myself and hope for the best.

Hold your window switches up or down (I forget) for a few extra seconds after the glass tops/bottoms out. This will re-index them.

I had 3 dead battery episodes before removing the relay this past winter. But none since. If you bring it in, they will either do/find nothing, or maybe take a wild stab and replace the battery. And, I don't think that's any guarantee.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:28 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lars
That's normal after the battery has been disconnected or discharged. Read page 2-17 of the manual. To reset, just hold the window up switch for 3 seconds.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:37 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Team Owner

Thanks Hoonose, thanks Shopdog, thanks Ace!

I think I'll leave the indexing alone for now (if she has to go in without power it won't be a problem to open/close the door. I noticed that the glass indexed up is not good to close the door and you know the Chebby service guys may not be as careful).

I also noticed my volt meter is now at 13+/- and was usually at 14+. Is this an indicator of a bad or decharged battery?

I love to drive this car and need to get this small issue resolved because the car WILL sit for prolonged periods.

Thanks again for your help.

Lars
Old 07-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, same happened to me just as you described the problem.
Dealer indicated bad alterator-feel thats' just BS>
Heres' my issue! I just can't for the life of me, why GM doesn't address this issue! Almost every day on the Forum, it keeps popping up!! Hey GM, whats' the FIX!!!
Just don't understand why they don't respond in any way. I'm very dissapointed with the C6 Team, to include our leader, DH.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:17 PM
tom4416
Racer

GM hasn't addressed it because they don't know why. There are so many sophisticated electronics on this car that interact with one another under different circumstances, that they are having trouble duplicating the problem. A lot of work has been done by forum members, myself included, measuring drawdowns and trying to pinpoint the issues that cause them. Everything from other electronics triggering certain fault modes, to too many keys on the same ring with the GM fob have been investigated with some non-definitive results. I do know that having another fob from any manufacturer on your ring can trigger certain modules to cycle up and down after power off or that leaving your Vette fob in the car will keep trying to wake the system up. However, these draws aren't significant and shouldn't drain down a good battery in the short periods of time being described. Also, these cars are supposed to have a battery saver feature but apparently that is only tied into the accessories and not the computer modules. I keep hoping that one of the members taking delivery of a new car at BG will corner Dave or another project engineer and pin them down on this question and get some straight, non-corporate filtered answer. Although I've an automatic and they dont' seem to have the problem, it is still and issue that someone must have a clue as to how to address and who better than the engineers who design the car and its systems. Perhaps GM is still confused between the long departed Chevette and Corvette and think we should be treated like buyers of the cheapest car they ever made rather than one of the most expensive.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:26 AM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

I had that problem with my C5. I just put an Optima Yellow Top in it and it never died again.
I stuck an Optima Yellow Top in my C6 the day I got it home and no battery problems so far.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:41 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Lars, Don't get discouraged. I had many DBS episodes. The dealers will not find anything. Since I have done the following I have had no further incidents.

1. Pull relay #46.

2. Obviously, shut the car off while in reverse and apply the parking brake.

3. Make sure the steering column is locked.

4. Use the key fob to lock the car, even in your garage. A little yellow lock light will come on at the left side of your dash. It goes out in about 40 seconds.

I believe the computer now has "formally" put this car to bed. Avoid using any accessories or opening the door if you can avoid it. That may "wake up" the car again. This has worked for me. I hope it works for you.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:52 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default 9 Mos No Probs

Lars -

Hang in there guy

Get notified of new replies

To New dead battery club member!

Old 08-01-2005, 09:07 AM
archtop
Drifting

One final note.Make sure your key fob is 15' away from the car at night.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:11 AM
LarsAtTheBeach
Team Owner

Thanks capevetts, JFTaylor, archtop! Good info!

I guess I thought I was doing good exiting/sutting down. I guess it's like flying...pre and post flight plan/checklist!

Today the Vert started...no problems! Also now the volts are back to the 14.2-14.4 range , was at 12.9-13.5 last night.

As I posted yesterday...I love the car, but it can be fustrating dealing with all the electronic gizmos. This car is my 3rd Vette and by far the best! I will be much more methodical upon exit from now on. And no playing the stereo while detailing!!!

Thanks again all, this forum is awesome (saved me from a tow to the dealer).

Lars
Old 08-01-2005, 11:19 AM
tetsuo166
Instructor

My dad has had this happen to his C6 twice now. He just ordered the Priority Start module. Funny thing is, he called the dealership and they gave him the usual run around. They even said that this car is not meant to sit for more than a week at a time. The good thing and unusual thing is that they said they would reimburse him for the Priority Start. I don't want to say the dealership at this point since he hasn't been paid yet, but I haven't heard that one before. That is pretty much admitting that they know its a problem, but don't have a solution for it.

One thing, I looked in the fuse box area under the hood and didn't see a Relay 46. I'm sure it is just me but can someone describe its location a little better for me please. I don't think that's the only issue here, but it couldn't hurt.

Quick Reply: New dead battery club member!