C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What GM is going to do after 8/1???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 05:53 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Default What GM is going to do after 8/1???

The current Employee Price for Everyone is supposed to end 8/1. I wonder what GM is going to deal to sell cars after that. Hopefully they will offer some rebates on the vettes or better yet , let the dealers sell the vettes at GMS or supplier price. I can only wish!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 06:05 PM
2000 green hornet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmmmm!

Originally Posted by Y2K253SS
The current Employee Price for Everyone is supposed to end 8/1. I wonder what GM is going to deal to sell cars after that. Hopefully they will offer some rebates on the vettes or better yet , let the dealers sell the vettes at GMS or supplier price. I can only wish!!!

Only idiots or their children will buy now from GM. Or maybe there are a few people out there that are so clueless without tv, radio, newspapers, the Corvette Forum, etc. that they didn't know about the Employee Discount no sale .

Let the games begin again over the MSRP

I love playing the negotiating game . Especially since my dealer knows the rules better than me because he/she helped write them. Who in their right mind wants to make car buying FUN????

Maybe the Chinese machine tool merchants so they can sell more 6 speed automatics?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:18 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 green hornet

Only idiots or their children will buy now from GM. Or maybe there are a few people out there that are so clueless without tv, radio, newspapers, the Corvette Forum, etc. that they didn't know about the Employee Discount no sale .
Yep, GM is going to have a hard time moving cars once the price goes back up, especially considering that Chrysler and Ford have jumped on the employee pricing bandwagon, and their programs will not end August 1.

Of course none of this ever applied to the Corvette. So I don't see the end of the employee pricing promotion as having any impact on Corvette sales. The big thing affecting Corvette is the looming start of the 2006 model year. People are going to be reluctant to buy a 2005 when the 2006s are only a little over a month away. Dealers are going to have to provide end of model year discounts to move remaining 2005 inventory.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:29 PM
gkvetteuno
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K253SS
They have had a sale going on at least since 1999. I believe I saw some deeper discounts last year at years end(especially with the GM card), better than the current Employee Price. I am watching the small SUV,s and basic Silverados. So far, I have managed to resist their best offers, but, they are getting close.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:31 PM
johnmingwong
Advanced

Default no more of that

[QUOTE=Y2K253SS]The current Employee Price for Everyone is supposed to end 8/1. I wonder what GM is going to deal to sell cars after that. Hopefully they will offer some rebates on the vettes or better yet , let the dealers sell the vettes at GMS or supplier price. I can only wish!!! [/QUO

GM will actually slow down in terms of doing rebates. They will offer some, you will notice the trend of lower rebates from this point on for most brand. The reason is that the rebate is hurting the whole industry. It is driving down the resale value of the pre-own and it is costing the manufactorer big time money. GM is in the process of closing about 3 plants. They are cutting back on productions, They will instead lower the MSRP of most of their models.

They are beginning to realize the reason why in the last 4 years, only Honda and Toyota are the only brand that made actual positive cash flow. Toyota only do up $1,000 cash rebate on premium trim level of a few cars. Honda only do average of $750.00 on dealer cash to dealers only.

Beware of buying cars on rebate. You are not getting free money. It will bite you on 2 situations.

one, if you bought a Ford Excursion on Nov of 2004, lets say you paid $39k. In Dec, 2004, Ford had a combined rebate/incentive of $8,000.00.

So, ask yourself this question, how can the used NOV be worth more than the DEC car when you can buy in DEC without haggling for $31,000?

That Ford just depreciated to $28,000 over 2 months. Remember, rebates are not free. They are only worth it if you keep the car for 8 years or longer. Drive them till they die.

Two, if your car gets wrecked, using the same example above, your insurance will pay you $28,000 to $31,000 max because the new one in DEC was $31,000 without haggling.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:37 PM
shopdog
Race Director

[QUOTE=johnmingwongRemember, rebates are not free. They are only worth it if you keep the car for 8 years or longer. Drive them till they die.
[/QUOTE]
I almost always do. A car has to be pretty bad for me to trade it off. The next to last car I traded, the dealer had to come fetch it with a flatbed. I think he took it straight to the crusher.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:37 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Hummmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-30-2005, 06:38 PM
johnmingwong
Advanced

Default one simple way to look for discount on corvette

As a Manager in the car business. The easiest way to look for deals on corvette will be to ask for the demo model. Dealership usually has a 3,000 miles limit on demo. Which is not a whole lot, you can get a fair deal on it, with a little haggling, sometimes you can get away with $3,000 to $4,000 DISCOUNT. Give it a shot, it doesn't hurt.

As for the myth that they get beat up more often, it is not always true. The dealership usually tell the sales staff to take care of it cause sooner or later, they have to sell that too. I know when I was a sales person, I wouldn't allow the customer to go nuts on a car.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The employee discount program was a way to offer rebates without offering rebates. They turned a buyer turn-off (no more rebates?) into a turn-on (GMs are cheaper than ever!), and of course it worked.

Now they leave it to the dealers to drop their pants on the remaining 2005s and the excitement of the new model year. Maybe finally take it in the shorts, or maybe they wait until October and pull a different stunt to rescue the quarterly numbers, I dunno.

Solstice deliveries begin in August. I bet Pontiac sales do all right. And the Hummer H3 will put a nice polish on the GM sales turd.

In the meantime, their product continues to improve relative to the competition.

.Jinx
Old 07-30-2005, 06:51 PM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Only idiots or their children will buy now from GM.
Wow

Dumbest post of the week
Old 07-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Blk03Z06
Racer

Default Gm

Most do not expect much more from GM in terms of offers for awhile because the expiring program moved most of their inventory. Expect GM, and maybe Ford, to rework pricing in general so as to remove themselves from these frequent firesales. Do not expect corvette to ever be a big part of future incentives.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:00 PM
2000 green hornet
Burning Brakes

Default In the meantime, their product continues to improve relative to the competition.

I hope so. Now where my key goes in --the cover is starting to fall out. And I already mentioned that I need to keep pushing my roof headliner up and that 3 of the 4 plastic thingamajigs that hold my targa roof liner up are gone. And what about the little buttons on my radio that control the treble/bass and the balance/front-back. They broke off a long time ago. Now just little shafts stick out .. Makes my interior feel homey

Hard to keep a 5 year old Corvette when the headliner keeps blocking my view . They better be improving them or the grim reaper is going to be knocking on the door soon.

Maybe K-Mart can buy them like they bought Sears .
Old 07-30-2005, 07:03 PM
2000 green hornet
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks Mr. Bel Air

Originally Posted by 1955 BelAir
Wow

Dumbest post of the week

I like your pic. Was that the first year Chevy had a V8 ?
Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
Solstice deliveries begin in August. I bet Pontiac sales do all right.
They'd better, Pontiac sales were off 47% year to year last month, even with the employee discount promotion. They desperately need something to generate some sales traffic. Buick was down 5%, which by comparison is actually good news. Chevy and Caddy are doing Ok with the help of the promotion, both positive year to year, but the orphan brands with no trucks of their own to sell are hurting pretty badly. If things don't pick up for Pontiac soon, they'll be going the way of Oldsmobile.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:12 PM
johnmingwong
Advanced

Originally Posted by shopdog
They'd better, Pontiac sales were off 47% year to year last month, even with the employee discount promotion. They desperately need something to generate some sales traffic. Buick was down 5%, which by comparison is actually good news. Chevy and Caddy are doing Ok with the help of the promotion, both positive year to year, but the orphan brands with no trucks of their own to sell are hurting pretty badly. If things don't pick up for Pontiac soon, they'll be going the way of Oldsmobile.
Here's a little more insiders info. Within the next 1 year to 18 months, GM will have to solve their employee benifit issue with the union which is costing them over 1.5 billion a year, they are already planning to let pontiac or buick go. they do not have a choice, they spend 78 million a year on advertising on over over 80 models of cars including SAAB. Versus Toyota spending 140 million on only 30+ models. You can see by that numbers that GM is not getting much in terms of advertising exposure. Too many trims and models, devided over too many assembly plant. Not enough sales. Hummer just posted lost sales because of the gas prices. GM insiders already decided that for GM to survive, they have to be a smaller company. Chevy and Caddy is safe.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:18 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Better Productsi

How about GM starts making better products, with the exception of the Caddy and the Vette, they have nothing on the market to compete with, not even trucks, the competition is getting very strong.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think one way GM (and others) could increase sales......take a retro look at the options list and allow customers to choose only the options (at the right price) they want and build the car the way they want it. Instead of forcing an all or nothing in package groups, and this should include paint & trim combinations.

Get notified of new replies

To What GM is going to do after 8/1???

Old 07-30-2005, 08:18 PM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

I like your pic. Was that the first year Chevy had a V8 ?

Well then .. perhaps you would like to enlighten the group with the factual basis of your statement: "Only idiots or their children will buy now from GM."

Or was it, as I suspect, drivel ?

Old 07-30-2005, 08:26 PM
2000 green hornet
Burning Brakes

Default Drivel!

Originally Posted by 1955 BelAir

Well then .. perhaps you would like to enlighten the group with the factual basis of your statement: "Only idiots or their children will buy now from GM."

Or was it, as I suspect, drivel ?

Just was trolling a little I guess . Yes , it was drivel. Your post did work too ! I do love your car. My all time fav as the 1959 Impala with the 348 engine I think.

But my heart was in the right place. What will customers do now? I will watch and see.

Our Corvette is the best. I just think GM is wandering with a lot of their other products. Goodness they made so many Centuries, Bonnevilles, Chevelle 396's, Grand Sports, GTO's, etc, etc. that you would think they would still make something like that. And you know I am not talking about the current models!

Keep me on my toes I always said
Old 07-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

I think they turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight.

Quick Reply: What GM is going to do after 8/1???