C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Wheels ... Very Disturbing Quest

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Custom Wheels ... Very Disturbing Quest

Ok, I hate to vent on a public forum, but I gotta say that I am having one of the worst times with forum vendors and outside retail sites trying to purchase a set of custom wheels.

It is not like I am looking to "steal" a set, and I am willing to spend over 3000.00 for a set in stock (18/19) configuration 3-piece forged wheels. Each vendor contacted has clearly had BETTER THINGS TO DO than to quote prices including shipping for a serious buyer. Here are a couple examples:

1. Wheel Manufacturer A -- send an email asking for price and options on a new set of wheels. Got a reply asking if I would be willing to pickup and take some pics for their use. Would not however offer a price with or without the offer. General Mgr then responds to my offer I mailed to get the negotiations started as "thanks for interest, but goodbye". Never once did they make the pricing known, nor offered anything other than site has MSRP listed. They knowingly provide this forum with discounts, so any offer would have been gratiously accepted. I did not mean to upset them ... and offer was fair and clearly offered further negotiations. 1 piece forged wheels were not a concern.

2. Forum Vendor B -- I email this business 2 times to see if they can get a set of Fikse Profil 10's and what pricing would be. Finally got owner through PM, and asked me to call his employee. My wife called and was told we would receive an email with pricing later. She has since called twice, and each time they say they will get back to us "when" their vendor calls them with pricing. (over a week since first call). Not in a rush to make this sale obviously ...

I emailed Fikse direct, and got an email back in less than 6 hours with a factory direct quote. Obviously full MSRP and approaching HRE territory, but fast and pleasing none the less. I wanted to see how well they handled email traffic.

3. Retail Site C --my local rim shop that I have used since the 80's. More than 8 sets purchased (Momo's, Niche, Wheel Repo's,). Offered the Fikse's for me for 3400.00 cash. Called to drop off deposit, and price modified by +300.00 for "Fikse Shipping Charges". Obviously pricing must have been quoted incorrectly at first visit as Fikse direct shipping on quote above was 96.00 ! Why not just be honest ... mistakes are made. I suspect the new owners got wind of the deal, and nixed it as not enough profit margin.

4. Forum Vendor D -- I emailed to find out about a set of 2pc forged wheels. Pricing and options available. Got a quick reply, noted sizing, and starting price. My email was specific as to size, design, finish, and cars options. Why not just offer up the price for the set I asked about specifically?? A second, third and subsequent contact seems coming. I did ask for options, but meant specifically any upgrades, locks or other items I need to consider (tire pressure band clamps I noted)

Again no offense to the vendors/retailers, but everyone on this site has posted and received immediate attention on wheels that sell for a 1/3 of what I am looking to spend (Z06 copies for example). I work all day, do some consulting on forum at night, and I really do not want to spend the next several months "forcing" someone to sell me a nice set of forged rims.

Anyone have a contact in the business that would take the time to help someone custom order a set of wheels ?? CCW, HRE, FIKSE, DPE, Weld, Iforged are all considered. I want a nice deal, reasonable wait times (4 -8 weeks seem average), and a super nice set of wheels to offset the new Black C6 (she arrives next month). Is it to much to ask that email be a meaningful way to communicate in this century ??

Last edited by Killrwheels; 07-26-2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:44 PM
JohnE1000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a vendor doesn't care for your business, then he doesn't deserve your business.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnE1000
If a vendor doesn't care for your business, then he doesn't deserve your business.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:00 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm still going through wheel hell myself. I was quoted 4-5 weeks for a set of forged wheels, and here we are sitting at week 13 and no tracking numbers yet. I "might" get them this week, but I've already heard that three times already.

I'm sure they will look great when I finally get them, but all I really expected was an honest delivery time quote and never really got it.

Tony
Old 07-27-2005, 03:39 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find wheels the hardest thing to get addressed maybe that's whaty NTB does so well? I'm going to do the ten-spoke wheels, polished when they ship - unless something third party grab's me.....

Have you tried them? I'm thinking about using them for an upgrade on my Avy 2500 since my dealership customizer man won't get back to me.

Anyway, I empathize - nothing worse than wantint spend money and people not wanting.

JK
Old 07-27-2005, 10:04 AM
BLWright
Burning Brakes

I have a semi-hookup at iForged. He is one of their salesman.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Man that really sucks here you are trying to spend money and nobody wants it. Did you try Michael at accidentprone
Old 07-27-2005, 01:05 PM
synthtk
Instructor

On a somewhat similar subject, I am surprised at the lack of options for a wider wheel for the C6, other than complete custom jobs I have seen just a few wheels which stray from the stock 18x8.5 and 19x10 sizing, most of the ones that do are Z06 Replicas.

I am personally looking at getting a set of iForged rims, I recently saw what happens to some HRE rims after a nice track day and I have to say I was not impressed and hope that the horrible bending I saw was limited to just a bad production run.

Has anyone put a 12" wide rim on the C6? What offsets are people getting? How wide are people going on the fronts?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Call John personally at CCW He will speak with you and answer all your questions. Great guy who does right by us.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:27 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I spoke too soon yesterday. My new wheels showed up today. Hopefully I can get them mounted/balanced and on the car today. Pics to follow

Tony
Old 07-27-2005, 03:51 PM
accidentprone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NineBall
I spoke too soon yesterday. My new wheels showed up today. Hopefully I can get them mounted/balanced and on the car today. Pics to follow

Tony
You finally got them? Thats why I dont like to sell DPE any longer.

After hearing about your order, I had two other customers flip to another design. I was afraid they to would wait forever and a day.

Congrats on getting them!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:54 PM
accidentprone
Melting Slicks

Killer wheels, do you like boyd coddingtons? I have a 6-8 week production time on these. Sometimes even less. Give me a yell. Michael
Old 07-27-2005, 05:55 PM
EFI-1
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Who did you get in touch with about iForged?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EFI-1
Who did you get in touch with about iForged?

I have not spoken directly to anyone about Iforged currently. Just a wheel I am considering, mostly because of your recent post and pics. I did email Vince directly yesterday , but no response currently.

I want to thank Accidentprone and Gary@Ronal for responding with offers so quickly , it nice to see some good guys. Was not considering your lines currently, but clearly doing so now. DPE was one of the wheels I considered, so glad to hear that problems exist, PRIOR to ordering a set.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:22 AM
accidentprone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
I have not spoken directly to anyone about Iforged currently. Just a wheel I am considering, mostly because of your recent post and pics. I did email Vince directly yesterday , but no response currently.

I want to thank Accidentprone and Gary@Ronal for responding with offers so quickly , it nice to see some good guys. Was not considering your lines currently, but clearly doing so now. DPE was one of the wheels I considered, so glad to hear that problems exist, PRIOR to ordering a set.
Just give me a email or pm, we can do the following, boyds, hre's, dpe if you must, detata, kinesis, and rozzi's. We also have OE Concepts, Factory Reproductions, and soon Ace Alloy wheels.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by accidentprone
Just give me a email or pm, we can do the following, boyds, hre's, dpe if you must, detata, kinesis, and rozzi's. We also have OE Concepts, Factory Reproductions, and soon Ace Alloy wheels.
Thanks for the offer, and was going to call you about some wheels this evening. Thanks for offer, and immediate attention.

Vince over at Iforged has replied to my email and clearly has what I am looking for, and I am truly excited to own a pair of Iforged. I am still thinking Swift's , anyone have comment ??

Old 07-28-2005, 06:36 PM
accidentprone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
Thanks for the offer, and was going to call you about some wheels this evening. Thanks for offer, and immediate attention.

Vince over at Iforged has replied to my email and clearly has what I am looking for, and I am truly excited to own a pair of Iforged. I am still thinking Swift's , anyone have comment ??

Those look sweet! Go for it.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:07 PM
stanleyp
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by accidentprone
Killer wheels, do you like boyd coddingtons? I have a 6-8 week production time on these. Sometimes even less. Give me a yell. Michael
6 - 8 weeks?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:50 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Don't feel bad. I just went through the same thing...and with Fred Beans at that. Never been treated so poorly by a dealer in my life. Cracks me up every time I see people praising them. Bad attitude (other than Jeremy) and no effort at all to help me out. All this for some connectors that required a little effort that they were unwilling to supply.

Fichtner's crew on the other hand is top of the line. Always going out of their way. Fred Beans will never get any praise or any of my money.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Wheels ... Very Disturbing Quest

Quick Reply: Custom Wheels ... Very Disturbing Quest