C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Bowling Green to see my baby at the factory

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Wicked_C6
Race Director

Location: Beer. The cause of and solution to - all of lifes problems
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Factory tour to see my vette (pics of plant tour)

Just got the pics up Plant Tour

I set thing up through Kevin at the plant to take a tour while my car was coming down the line. I'm going to keep this one short because I am tired after driving down from the EAA airshow in Osh Kosh (straight) to Bowling Green (about 8 hours).

I am staying at the Drury Inn about 5 miles south of the museum and the plant. Great place to stay as its clean and there's quite a few restaurants around (Outback, Wafflehouse, Bob Evans).

Rolled up to the plant this morning at 7am. For those that don't know - if you are coming down...try and bring a GM car or truck otherwise you have to park in the outlot and walk quite a distance. GM doesn't like blue ovals or foreign cars I suppose

Met with the security office at the plant and watched a brief saftey video that lasted about 5 mins or so. Then the real fun began.

Let me start by saying I could not believe the incredible amount of technology and timing that takes place while these cars are coming together. It was just amazing to look over head and see doors and body panels coming down and marrying up to the correct person on the line for a particular vette. Its like a coordinated mechanical ballet being played out - and it was so beautiful (teary eyed). There's constant motion everywhere from hi lo's delivering pallets of parts, to QC people walking the line, to parts and panels going overhead on conveyors. It was just amazing. I still can't believe the incredible amount of time, effort and ingenuity that went into coordinating all the lines to make the final product. It really makes you proud to see it.

Right as I walked onto the plant floor we found my car. It was just getting ready to have the seats put in. I had a few minutes to talk with the workers there (I made sure to tell them there were alot of CorvetteForum members who wanted to thank them for building such a great car). After watching the seats go in we lingered around (Kevin takes pictures with a digital camera he caries) I'll post when he emails them to me. Then we went on to see the doors be installed and trim pieces, back window glass, etc.

We stopped tracking my car as it was going to be on the line for quite some time and continued viewing the rest of the plant. Watching the bodies come down to meet the powertrain and underbody was really cool. Got a chance to speak with these people to and express my thanks.

I think the coolest part for me was at the end. They have a lighted tunnel that the vette runs through where they check for paint and other defects. From there is rolls across and onto a dyno. I watched them pull a beautifull LMB couple onto the dyno and bring it up to about 70mph and run a bunch of different tests on. I don't know about you but I think I'd pay to have that job.

At the end of the production line the vettes then run through a dept with 15 people who's job it is to catch defects or imperfections before the cars leave the plant. Bottom line - if everyone were to come down and see the plant and view the complexity of all the things coming together and all that goes into building this car...they would better understand why sometimes a few cars have issues.

At the end of the line I saw 5 or 6 vettes that were overseas bound. They had the headlight washers, different side and tail lights, etc. One of them (I think from what Kevin said) was headed to Afganistan!?!?. I also got to see the Z06's exhaust (much larger with a vacuum controlled opening that closes of one of the end pipes when starting. Pretty neat huh?

Its about noon now and I'm waiting for a call around 2 pm from Kevin to come back over to the plant to see my car roll off the end of the line. If Roger, the end technician is there I'll get to be the first one to start it up and drive it off under its own power. From what I understand I also get a "birth certificate" for my baby as well.

I've learned today I am a complete Corvette nut. I went over to the museum this morning after the plant tour. That place is just amazing as well. I dropped about 200 dollars in the store there on various "necessities".

At any rate, just wanted to share with everyone the great day I'm having. If you can make it down here...it is soooo worth it.

Kevin and all the people at the BG GM plant...YOU ROCK!

Last edited by Wicked_C6; 07-28-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Great write up.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:29 PM
jjohn918
Drifting

Thanks for the info!! We'll be doing the same thing when we dump our 05 for an 06 vert.

Long live the Corvette!!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:49 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Wow - fantastic write-up, Terry. After reading that, a plant tour and museum visit are must-dos for me.

So you went to Oshkosh, eh? Pretty cool, isn't it? I was born and raised in the Milwaukee area but only got to the EAA show in Oshkosh once before emmigrating to CA. That was in '84 - got to see and actually touch the Voyager before it made its round-the-world unrefueled flight.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:23 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 07-26-2005, 02:25 PM
ASZ2222
Melting Slicks

Great post! Congrats.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Wicked_C6
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Yes the plant tour is a must. If people can plan it out I'd recommend it. Just very cool to see all that goes into the production.

EAA at Oshkosh was great too. I got a nasty sunburn from hanging out talking to all the pilots - and almost purchased another toy (a builders version of a Safari helicopter). I have a Schweizer 300CB right now but went to look around for a new one. All in all its been a cool week indulging my two favorite hobbies. Helicopters and GM cars that move fast God bless my wife for tolerating me...even if she rolls her eyes when I go into a 10 min explanation of some minute part of my day. hahaha
Old 07-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Great write up

THANKS

An Congrats on the new ride.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Darth Xed
Racer

Great post.

I took the tour a few years ago... we went to BG for my birthday.

When I order my Corvette, I hope to be able to coordinate everything so I can watch it come down the line and be the first to start it... in addition to the Museum Delivery....
Old 07-26-2005, 03:57 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Great job reporting. Congrats!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Fritz Hier
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't wait to see the pics from the plant!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:06 PM
dcolehome
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write-up. I too enjoyed the plant and wrote them a letter thanking the employees for the tour.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:42 PM
TJsToy
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In 3, 5, 8-9 Veteran

Congrats on the car and write up.......
Old 07-26-2005, 08:00 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Awesome
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 PM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats awesome, I should be at the plant 7/29 we are going to do the tour as well, paid online already! I can't wait to go back we always drop too much money at the museum.
-=Rick
Old 07-26-2005, 11:10 PM
vette05
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post. Makes me want to order another one just so I can go to the plant and see it being made. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 AM
mrv
Instructor

Congratulations! I'm jealous. Did you notice a particulary hansome Monterey Red vert with cashmere interior coming down the line. I understand mine started the journey today. It would have been the coolest of all of them

Unfortuantely, I was denied the experience though some miscommunications, and will not be there for the big moment tomorrow. But I got a extra airplane ticket if I ever want to make a trip to Nashville in the future. But hey, I will be at the museum to pick it up in a couple weeks.

Have fun!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Wicked_C6
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Actually the car behind mine was a red vert - funny...it didn't look as cool as mine though
Old 07-28-2005, 11:23 AM
LKicklight
Burning Brakes

Default Factory Tour

Sounds almost the same description as when mine came down the line and I was there. Two things that made me stop and experience the moment, Seeing that odometer read 000000000, that is worth, well a whole hell of a lot and Second, my Build Sheet signed by all the technicians that worked on the car as it moved down the line.
KICKBACK
7/28/05 (1864 miles to date)
Born on Date: 10/15/04

Get notified of new replies

To In Bowling Green to see my baby at the factory

Quick Reply: In Bowling Green to see my baby at the factory