C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM- Poor Reception

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
vanEe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM- Poor Reception

Just took my C6 in for an XM service. I’ve been losing reception. Was told by the service manager that because the Vette’s body is not metal, the antenna is limited in it’s ability to receive the signal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any better antennas on the market. My wife’s Honda has great reception.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:27 PM
2MW
Instructor

I say the tech is full of . My XM picks up perfect with no fadeouts. You may have a short in the antenna. Good luck with it.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:29 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 2MW
I say the tech is full of . My XM picks up perfect with no fadeouts. You may have a short in the antenna. Good luck with it.
I only loose a signal when the surroundigs block the sat.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Ray Heaton
7th Gear

A metal body would be required only if the body were designed into the antenna as an active portion of it -- and in this case it isn't.

The antenna is a "stand-alone" with XM. It acts like the hang-it-on-the-wall two-wire types supplied with inexpensive FM tuners / receivers.

The effectiveness of the antenna is determined by (1) having a clear view of the signal source (the satellite) and (2) how well the antenna matches and couples the very weak incoming signal into the XM receiver. The antenna is designed to give best performance with the particular (brand) receiver.

Not much help, but the antenna could be at fault, or the interconnecting cable between the antenna and the XM receiver, or the XM receiver. Your dealer will troubleshoot the system by replacing components; that's the best solution here.

Be wary if he tries to tell you he can undercoat the fibreglass body with aluminum foil!! For a small fee...

Ray (TV broadcast engineer in an earlier life...)
Old 07-21-2005, 06:02 PM
2vettes

Mine cuts out on heavily tree-lined streets. APITA. Otherwise, I enjoy it.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:53 PM
HighwaySpeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vanEe
Just took my C6 in for an XM service. I’ve been losing reception. Was told by the service manager that because the Vette’s body is not metal
OMG! Did You And Tell Him That What He Said Is Complete ?!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:43 PM
dexter
Team Owner

Not only will a metal body not help the XM reception, it hurts it. That service tech is a dumb***k. Usual GM service crap: tell the customer anything to get them out of there without having to do any work. If you went in with a flat tire, they'd tell you that air was unnecessary for the proper operation of your tires.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:58 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Heaton
A metal body would be required only if the body were designed into the antenna as an active portion of it -- and in this case it isn't.

The antenna is a "stand-alone" with XM. It acts like the hang-it-on-the-wall two-wire types supplied with inexpensive FM tuners / receivers.

The effectiveness of the antenna is determined by (1) having a clear view of the signal source (the satellite) and (2) how well the antenna matches and couples the very weak incoming signal into the XM receiver. The antenna is designed to give best performance with the particular (brand) receiver.

Not much help, but the antenna could be at fault, or the interconnecting cable between the antenna and the XM receiver, or the XM receiver. Your dealer will troubleshoot the system by replacing components; that's the best solution here.

Be wary if he tries to tell you he can undercoat the fibreglass body with aluminum foil!! For a small fee...

Ray (TV broadcast engineer in an earlier life...)
I believe the antenna is actually a patch antenna, but your point about it being ground independent is still valid. The only sorts of antennas that depend on the body as a counterpoise are unbalanced types like the old style whip antennas. Since a whip is a monopole, it is only half of an antenna and needs a counterpoise to electrically make up the other half. A metal car body does that for the old rod antennas that used to ride our fenders.

Our C6s have patch antennas for GPS NAV, GPS for OnStar, OnStar transmit/receive cellular, and for XM radio. All of these, except the XM wart, are concealed in various places inside the car. Our FM antennas (there are 2 of them for diversity reception) are balanced wire dipole antennas hidden in the rear fascia. Our AM antenna is a single wire voltage probe style monopole, also hidden in the rear fascia, which uses a connection to the car's metal frame as its counterpoise. It is the only antenna on the car that needs a counterpoise. All of the others are purposely mounted well away from the metal parts of the car because nearby metal can detune a balanced antenna.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:26 PM
hb_cpa
Racer

St. Jude Contributor

I have the same issue. For the last month I've been losing reception for minutes at a time. NO there are no trees, buildings, overpasses, etc blocking the signal. I've had my Vette since September. I know how it should work. Something is defiantly wrong.

I took it into service on Thursday and they said there was nothing wrong with it . They even used some test equipment on it. I'm taking it back on Monday and taking the a-hole service adviser for a ride until it cuts out.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:36 PM
AMF
Drifting

It will cost you a few bucks but have any XM installer plug in a new antenna to C6 XM module - It does not need to be a C6 antenna, just needs to have compatable jacks to the C6 XM module. U will then know if the antenna or wiring to the XM module is bad. I just mention this because it may be quicker and easier than going to a Chev dealer.

XM signals are not always provided by satellite. There are ground repeaters (or whatever they are called) in many areas. I have never had a fade out or signal loss because of buildings or trees where I live but was in downtown Cheyenne, Wyo the other day and the buildings blocked the signal--apparently no repeaters there.

Last edited by AMF; 07-22-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:01 PM
PaBlueCoupe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09

Be persistent and insist that the dealer correct the problem I too had XM problems, and initially was told by the dealer that it was a module in the trunk. After several days without the car, I was called to pick it up, and guess what, it still lost signal. Then they declared the antenna was the problem and it would take several weeks to get one. After another wait, I took the vette in again, and they finally fixed it. It works surprisingly well. I think we will subscribe, but GM would not extend the trial period. Hope the $77 deal is still good.

Good luck! I actually think XM is worth it. Hope you get your radio fixed too.

Get notified of new replies

To XM- Poor Reception

Quick Reply: XM- Poor Reception