C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotor Change Directions - Self Install or Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 06:42 PM
thejerseydevil
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Brake Rotor Change Directions - Self Install or Dealer?

I am swapping my standard rotors for new Baer rotors (ordered today). I want to know if I do this myself or do I need to bring it in? I haven't changed rotors on a vette before and don't want to screw things up; however, I have worked on many cars in the past and can follow directions real good if this is not a big job.

Let me know your thoughts. If you have done this on a C6, can you email or post directions (pic's would be great). Thanks so much...greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:28 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Do it yourself. Just remember to use the proper torques and blue loc-tite.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:13 PM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The muffler guy who installed my Corsa exhaust and X pipe also installed my Baer rotors and Hawk pads. He said it was an easy install. But it would not have been easy for me. Depends on how comfortable you are with the work. I was very happy to have the guy do mine. They look so fine!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:08 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

If you have any mechanical skill, it's very straightfoward. As mlongo99 said, just don't forget to torque the bolts and use locktite on the caliper bolts.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:26 PM
thejerseydevil
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I have both locktite and a torque wrench but never removed the rotors before. I may opt to have the dealer do it (who is a after market installation center).
Old 07-16-2005, 10:10 PM
warthog34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aren't they floating rotors that just slide off once you take of the wheel and unbolt the calipers?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by c6am
Thanks. I have both locktite and a torque wrench but never removed the rotors before. I may opt to have the dealer do it (who is a after market installation center).
If you own a torque wrench and loctite, you can do it. I just thought of one other thing though. Be sure the emergency brake is off. You have to "work" the rear rotors off by jiggling them around some because the emergency brake is a set of brake shoes inside the back of the rotors.

Trust me, this is definitely a do-it-yourself project unless you are just mechanically inept, which you don't seem to be.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:00 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I am swapping my standard rotors for new Baer rotors (ordered today). I want to know if I do this myself or do I need to bring it in? I haven't changed rotors on a vette before and don't want to screw things up; however, I have worked on many cars in the past and can follow directions real good if this is not a big job.

Let me know your thoughts. If you have done this on a C6, can you email or post directions (pic's would be great). Thanks so much...greatly appreciated.
Well, maybe you're all done by now, but if not, it's a real easy DIY job.

All you do is take off the wheel, remove the caliper (2 large bolts on the backside of the caliper bracket, then the calipers come right off, then the rotors come right off. Actually, there may be some tinnerman nuts (little flat sheet metal nuts that you can cut off and throw away - they're only there so the rotors don't fall off while going down the production line). Also, you may need to spray some WD-40 around the hub and I had to use a rubber mallet to encourage the old rotors to let loose.

Then you put the new rotor on, slide the caliper back on (if necessary, pry the brake pads apart slightly so they'll fit back on the new rotor), then put some blue loctite on the bolt and bolt the caliper brackets back on and torque to 125 lb-ft.

The rear ones (if you got the oversize EradiSpeeds) come with an extender bracket. Bolt that onto the suspension, then bolt the caliper bracket to that. I think the Baer install instructions say to torque to 110 or 115 lb-ft.

Then put your wheels back on and torque the lug nuts to 100 lb-ft and you're ready to go cruisin' and lookin' real !!!

Click below to link to a thread with a couple pics of when I did my Baer EradiSpeed install:

Baer EradiSpeed Thread

Good luck, and post some pics when you're done!!

Bob
Old 07-17-2005, 09:17 AM
thejerseydevil
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the instructions. This definitely sounds like something I can do.

Are you happy with the upgrade? Do you feel a difference?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:29 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Thanks for the instructions. This definitely sounds like something I can do.

Are you happy with the upgrade? Do you feel a difference?
I'm extremely happy with the EradiSpeeds!!!

I don't feel any difference at all. The rear rotor is larger, but you use the same caliper/pad size. The pad footprint on the rotor will be the same, but the torque arm is moved out for a little more mechanical advantage from the same gripping force of the caliper on the rotor.

Butt.....I don't think there's any significant change in the brakes with this rotor swap.

However, it does look GREAT!!! Especially in the rear where the base suspension or F55 had a big gap between the inside of the wheel and the rotor. This fills up the wheel and looks much, much better than stock.

I did it for the bling factor, and I'm very pleased. I also painted the brackets and the back of the pads silver and the calipers DSOM to match the car.

Bob

Rear Wheel Before:

Rear Wheel After:

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-17-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:43 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I posted a thread about pulling the OEM Z51 rotors and removing rust and treating with zinc phosphate couple weeks ago
basically to go from

to this

anyway here is the pic of the caliper bracket bolts you need to remove

Torque spec is 125 lbs for the two bolts and used loc tite blue BUT!!!! when I posted this info over on the DC forum I got a sh*t load from some of that forums alpha dogs because I did not replace with new the removed bolts...although their comments and forum decorum was lets say inappropriately harsh at best, one of them (claims to be a GM tech type) did cite a GM guideline about replacing the bolts anytime you remove them. The senior Vette tech at the dealership where I purchase my Vette and his contact with GM concerning the bolts issue said it was not necessary to replace the bolts as long as they are not damaged. Two very opposite views. Anyway just wanted you all to be aware about this issue. I did not replace the bolts and all is fine….
Michael

Last edited by C6FirstVette; 07-17-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:13 PM
thejerseydevil
Burning Brakes

Great pics and info! They do look much better. Supposedly, the slotted cross drilled rotors should keep the brakes cooler and reduce wear on the pads. Who knows. I like the look and can't wait for mine to come.

Since it is this easy to take off, I may paint the calipers at the same time.

Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:04 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Beezeye and C6firstvette --- excellent posts, and the pictures really help. That's the kind of posts we need in here !

But holy crap ! 125 ft-lbs ?!?
My torque wrench only goes up to 100 ft-lbs. Damn -- and I thought I really had a great wrench - had it for about 10 years now and never ran into a torque higher than 100 before.

So tell me you're not joking -- 125 ? I've got to go out and get a new torque wrench now? Any special place I should go to get the super steroid macho torque wrench that you guys are obviously using?

I must have bought the one they sell to little old ladies.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 PM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
I posted a thread about pulling the OEM Z51 rotors and removing rust and treating with zinc phosphate couple weeks ago

to this

Michael
How about a link to that thread? Looks really good, would like to know more. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:12 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MichaelB
How about a link to that thread? Looks really good, would like to know more. Thanks.
Here you go>>>

Rotors

Michael
Old 07-18-2005, 10:28 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
If you own a torque wrench and loctite, you can do it. I just thought of one other thing though. Be sure the emergency brake is off. You have to "work" the rear rotors off by jiggling them around some because the emergency brake is a set of brake shoes inside the back of the rotors.

Trust me, this is definitely a do-it-yourself project unless you are just mechanically inept, which you don't seem to be.
Do it yourself and know its done right.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:33 PM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
Here you go>>>

Rotors

Michael
Thanks, got it!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Rotor Change Directions - Self Install or Dealer?

Old 07-19-2005, 04:04 PM
jjohn918
Drifting

Awesome man!!! Thanks from everyone!!

Josh
Old 08-30-2005, 07:32 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Brake Rotor Change Directions - Self

I ordered Baer rotors , painted Red Calipers & SS hoses for my Z51 C6 at Corvettes @ Carlisle. Has anyone changed Calipers & hoses?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:37 AM
AceVentura
Racer

How's the coating holding up Michael?

J

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Change Directions - Self Install or Dealer?