C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 or just perf. axle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:43 PM
elmwoood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z51 or just perf. axle?

i am going to order a machine silver vert with an auto trans next week.
i don't know if i should order the z51 or just the performance axle. any
comments would be appreciated
Old 07-07-2005, 05:54 PM
ASZ2222
Melting Slicks

Definately get the Z51. I love the ride and handling of the Z51. I wouldn't get the car without it. You get a lot of bang for your buck.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 PM
woodlandsguy
Instructor

Default 3.15 is great

As always, it depends upon you. I am an older guy who wanted some fun and comfort. The standard suspension with the 3.15 rear end is what I have, and I love it. Comfort with a punch. My DD is a Lexus LS400, so I didn't want to feel uncomfortable in the Vette.

Remember though, you give up a little 'bling' without the drilled rotors. If you want to compromise between the two, add the '51' anti sway bars amd just get the 3.15.

Also, if you want some 'bling', purchase the stock wheels and then trade them in for chrome. You will save a bunch of money. And, while they are putting on your wheels, have them paint the rotors so that the rust issue is put to rest. I had that done at Corvettes of Houston -- only $80 to paint the rotors (silver) since the wheels were already off of the car.

Enjoy !!!

Last edited by woodlandsguy; 07-07-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

How are the roads where you'll be driving? If they're pretty good, the difference in ride between the base suspension and the Z51 suspension probably won't be much. However, if your roads are pretty crappy, you'll probably be better off with the base suspension and the 3.15 performance axle.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:32 PM
GTO_Vette_Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASZ2222
Definately get the Z51. I love the ride and handling of the Z51. I wouldn't get the car without it. You get a lot of bang for your buck.
My Z51 rides great; not harsh at all. It's much smoother than my 350Z with the touring package.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:42 PM
ALFONSE
Burning Brakes

Default Z51

Originally Posted by elmwoood
I'm very happy with the Z51 option but I was really after the gear. The only option I'm missing is the XM. If you're looking for the getter goin off the line and don't care about the rest of the stuff save money and just get the gear.
AL
Old 07-07-2005, 08:15 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you driven other sports cars before? If so which ones and how did you like the ride and handling? This may help others give you an opinion on whether or not you should get Z51.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Z-51 Has my vote!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:26 PM
jdavis
Drifting

It all depends on how you intend to drive your Corvette. If you want a little more punch off the line then the 3:15 will give you what you are looking for. For daily driving and cruising the 2:73 will work just fine and give you a little better fuel ecomony to boot.
As for the Z51, it is again a matter of how you intend to dirve or use the Corvette. The base suspension is great and will serve 95% of owners well because their cars will never be flogged around a track or driven to the limit on the street. How many owners heat the brakes red hot or need oil or steering coolers? Sure the Z51 package is a good deal but, if you don't need the stuff, is it really a bargain? I know that a lot of the guys will tell you that it is a must have but, the fact is that it simply isn't. Again, the better ride and great handling of the base system will be all that you will ever need and then some for daily use, cruising, and especially a long trip.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:30 PM
C6Harley
Drifting

don't forget that the z51 comes with:

the gearing, upgraded suspension, cross drilled rotors, extra coolers for oil PS and tranny.

Z51 isnt just about suspension any longer like it used to be. well worth the $$ in my opinion
Old 07-07-2005, 10:37 PM
roche
1st Gear

Default Z51

I have had my C6 Vert for 6 weeks or so now. The Z51 option was actually a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a much harsher ride, but it's actually quite comfortable and capable. My former ride was a 1997 911 cab. Naturally the z51 option has lots of goodies besides the suspension--I highly recommend.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:45 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jdavis
It all depends on how you intend to drive your Corvette. If you want a little more punch off the line then the 3:15 will give you what you are looking for. For daily driving and cruising the 2:73 will work just fine and give you a little better fuel ecomony to boot.
As for the Z51, it is again a matter of how you intend to dirve or use the Corvette. The base suspension is great and will serve 95% of owners well because their cars will never be flogged around a track or driven to the limit on the street. How many owners heat the brakes red hot or need oil or steering coolers? Sure the Z51 package is a good deal but, if you don't need the stuff, is it really a bargain? I know that a lot of the guys will tell you that it is a must have but, the fact is that it simply isn't. Again, the better ride and great handling of the base system will be all that you will ever need and then some for daily use, cruising, and especially a long trip.

Best advice I have seen. It's way too easy to spend other peoples money. Do you feel "drawn" to the Z51? If so, get it. If not, why spend the extra $1300 (over the perfomance gear).
Old 07-07-2005, 10:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default If you do get the Z-51 package you will automatically get the 3.15 gears included

Originally Posted by jdavis

On the automatic Z-51 the 3.15 gears are part of the package hence you won't have to pay for that option if you get the Z-51. But regardless why pay for extra stuff you will never use???
If you just bought the 3.15 gears that is alot less than the Z-51 package that comes with sqeaky brakes, lots of brake dust problems, extra suspension adjustments and short tire tred life.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:38 AM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I have an automatic with the 3.15 rear axle only and I love the ride and handling. The car will take sharp turns at 40mph without even a squeel. The two points that made me turn away from the Z-51 was the stiffer ride (the base suspension is stiff enough for me) and the fact that some of the cross drilled rotors are starting to show signs of cracking. Add to that the brake noise that may occur and a lot of people here on the board saying the tires wear quickly would point me to the base unless you plan on tracking the car on a regular basis....
Old 07-08-2005, 01:05 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't really go wrong with any option. What I chose was the F55 suspension so I can select between a cushy or stiffer ride. I got the 3.15 axle, A4 auto. I am adding the Z51 sway bars and the cross-drilled rotors. This is a more expensive way to go, but I got exactly what I want. As always, it's a matter of personal choice. Go with what feels right for you.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:09 AM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Z 51 is worth every penny to those who want/need it it. I got the base because I didn't need it. I absolutely love the ride and handling of the base. Replacing tires in 6 to 10 thousand miles is totally not acceptable , at least to me. Many here will tell you it is not a Corvette unless you have a mn6 with the Z51--I would not be one of them.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:20 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Z51 Performance Package Corvettes get a special tire known as the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT. Its asymmetrical tread provides higher overall performance and grip in dry conditions

what was the deal with the tires ... are they different also ??

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 or just perf. axle?

Old 07-08-2005, 07:48 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
extra suspension adjustments ...
The Z51 needs extra suspension adjustments? That's a new one on me....and everyone else who owns a Z51 car. What are you talking about?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:18 AM
tT-REXXX
Drifting

Default tires

I hear z51's wear out tires in 4000 mi.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:26 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

My 2001 C5 has Z51.............The ride is fine & handling is great >>>I am an old fart (57) so probably more critical than the average guy ride wise, also own a 1966 B/B & think she rides OK also. .cost wise when you subtract the price of perf axel from Z51 package ..the Z51 is a good $$$ deal.,A C6 Convertable is in my future & will be equiped with the Z51 .words of wisdom from the old dog

Quick Reply: Z51 or just perf. axle?