C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Lug Nuts not on C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 01:36 PM
JUSAYHI
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Locking Lug Nuts not on C6

Just wanted to mention that the C6 doesn't come with locking lug nuts like the C5 did. I ordered a set today, $27.00, part #12497482.

Also a reminder to not keep the key in the car, or hide it really good. I had the wheels and tires stolen off my 2001 when it was 7 months old with locking lug nuts. I had never taken the lug nut key out of the plastic bag it came in and it was still in the trunk in one of the compartments. They broke in, popped the trunk and they were home free.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Where's your avatar?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:18 PM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-07-2005, 06:03 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Happy Birthday, Robyn.

Frank
Old 07-07-2005, 11:58 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSAYHI
Also a reminder to not keep the key in the car, or hide it really good.
There are tools made that will remove ALL types of "locking" lug nuts. Dealers and technicians use this tool frequently, because customers loose their "key", and the dealer has to get the wheel off for tire, brake service, etc.

I would think that any self respecting wheel thief would also carry this tool.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
JUSAYHI
Racer

Wow, that makes sense though! Well I'm out about $100 now after installation, but I guess I have a tiny bit more peace of mind. UGH!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
C6 Girl
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

I bought a set of the locking lug nuts also, just for peace of mind.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

I find locking lugs to be more trouble than they're worth. I'll pull them off any car that has them as soon as it lands in my garage. I've seen too many stripped out locking lugs and too many lost keys. Of course, you don't strip the lugs or realize you've lost the keys when it's a nice day and you're at home, you realize it when you're out in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire and no tools. Plus, I switch wheels and tires out too much (my Corvette is a track car as well as a daily driver) to put up with the hassle of fooling with locking lugs.

Of course, since the Corvette has run-flats (which I'll be getting rid of) and no spare, this is less of a concern. Still, I don't know that many people who have had their factory wheels stolen -- and I don't buy aftermarket wheels. Besides, isn't that what insurance is for? I have a very low comprehensive deductable.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Wow, that makes sense though! Well I'm out about $100 now after installation, but I guess I have a tiny bit more peace of mind. UGH!
Robyn, in your first post you said you paid $27.00 for the locking nuts. Are you saying that they charged you around $70 to install 4 nuts????
Old 07-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Jimmy Valentine's br
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
Robyn, in your first post you said you paid $27.00 for the locking nuts. Are you saying that they charged you around $70 to install 4 nuts????
That was my question. I had them installed for way less. I was of mixed mind on getting the locking nuts since the torque is so high but decided what the heck since I had them on my last two Z28's. I'll have to take the key out of the car though.

JUSAYHI where are you putting flight time in? Also have you found a new home for you green machine?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM
JUSAYHI
Racer

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
Don't you know blonde's can't do math! hahaha sorry, it was $27 for the set and $50 for the install at Goodyear. I don't know how I came up with the $100! I could have had it done cheaper but the place was empty when I arrived so no wait!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:21 AM
JUSAYHI
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy Valentine's br
JUSAYHI where are you putting flight time in? Also have you found a new home for you green machine?
I've had the car now I guess 7 weeks, and it has only about 700 miles on it, so not much flight time yet! I still have the green mo-sheen though I put it on ebay and the guy that won came to look at it on Tuesday and he said he wants it bad, but he's having some issue with financing. He said his bank needs the title before they will give him the money, and I need the money before I'll give him the title! I still owe big bucks on the 01 and the title is out of state in Florida. He has until today to pay up or its going back on Ebay I guess. I will never try to sell a car myself EVER again. Its been such a pain!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:22 AM
JUSAYHI
Racer

Originally Posted by C6 Girl
I bought a set of the locking lug nuts also, just for peace of mind.
There is some value to peace of mind isn't there!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They stopped use locking lug nuts on Corvette during the 02 model year.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set, why make them TOO easy to steal?

Of course you can get them off without the key, especially the ones with the tapered head. It usually involves hammering a smaller diameter socket onto the tapered part of the locking lug and hoping it bites.

I take the key out of the car if I park where I'm worried about the possibility of the car being broken into. Then they'll just smash the window out and tear through the interior only to find that there's no key. Worse yet, if I had a 'vert, they'd slash the top to get in. Then they'll probably damage the wheels trying to get the locks off. If they aren't successful, now I have a set of damaged wheels I either have to live with, replace at my expense, or file a claim for.

If I had no locks, I'd have no broken window but they would have still got my tires and wheels.

At least maybe the locks will make the novice thieves to choose another, easier target.

Last edited by vetracer; 07-21-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:51 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set, why make them TOO easy to steal?

You can get them off without the key, especially the ones with the tapered head. It usually involves hammering a smaller diameter 12 point socket onto the tapered part of the locking lug and hoping it bites before the socket breaks.

I take the key out of the car if I park where I'm worried about the possibility of the car being broken into. Then they'll just smash the window out only to tear the interior apart and find that there's no key. If I had a 'vert, they'd slash the top. Then they'll probably damage the wheels trying to get the locks off. If they aren't successful, now I have a set of damaged wheels I either have to live with, replace at my expense, or file a claim for.

If I had no locks, I might not have a broken window but they would have still got my tires and wheels if that's all they were after.

At least maybe the locks will make the novice thieves decide to choose another, easier target.

Last edited by vetracer; 07-21-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:09 PM
TheGreatOz
Instructor

his bank needs the title before they will give him the money

Get notified of new replies

To Locking Lug Nuts not on C6

Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

$50 is still ridiculous to install 4 lugnuts...down here in the south, no self-respecting shop owner would charge for that...it takes literally one minute to do...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh, by the way, one reason Chevy may have stopped using locking lugs is that car thieves have one simple way to remove the lug. They simply take the other 4 lugs off, jack the car up, and drop the jack quickly, causing the wheel to sheer off the lug stud. It turns out, to really be safe against them, you need to install a minimum of 2 locking lugs per wheel...

So maybe Chevy said forget it due to the added cost to do it right. Or maybe they want yours stolen so you can buy new ones
Old 07-21-2005, 11:51 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I've gotta say...
all these excuses NOT to put locks on your wheels... it's just insane. If you really believe this baloney, then stop locking your car, and leave the FOB inside.

Or just spend $15 on a damn lug wrench which will last for life. $25 for the locks, from McGard -- product #24137.

I don't know what kind of locks you guys are ordering, but the McGard locks really are not easy to defeat. You can see them if you go to http://c6.81x.com and click on "wheel locks". Sure everyone's got their own opinions, but this is just a matter of common sense. It's not like a discussion on installing a $2000 antitheft system. It's all about making theft just SLIGHTLY more inconvenient for the casual theif, not the professional. By the way, do you think a closed window is difficult to defeat? Yet I hope you don't stop closing your windows.

And if you paid someone to do 5 turns of a lug wrench for you, then you should be paying for someone to turn the computer on too. It would take me 60 seconds to put these wheel locks on -- that's only if I were
  • drinking a beer with one hand,
  • my wife were performing oral sex on me, and
  • I were having a bowel movement
all at the same time. If I could concentrate on the task, the time would be less.

Ok, so I've got no manners or tact. Just saying it like it is.

Quick Reply: Locking Lug Nuts not on C6