C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Headlights Bubs Burned Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 PM
verbatim_dkw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default My Headlights Bubs Burned Out

Well peoples - listen here. I was driving my Percision Red C6 and I went to make a turn - and your know that sound you get when one of your turn Sig bubs are burned out - you guess it - a FAST clicking sound. I pull over and sure enough - It was out. So I called the dealer and guess what - I had to make an appointment - the bub cost 16.00 for one (1) - has any body on the forum know how to change to bub - when I looked - I could not tell. The car is still under warranty - but I would have just paid the price for the bub and did it myself - but did not want to start taking off stuff trying to get the inside headlight assembly -
Old 06-28-2005, 09:21 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure it is the bulb? Most propable cause is socket deformation due to heat or poor electrical contact between bulb and socket terminals. There is a bulletin on this. You can search for it.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 PM
UBETRUN
Pro

It might not be the bulb, a few of us have had loose socket problems. Remove the tire and then remove the small rubber cover behind the headlight to get to the socket. It's tough to figure out the first time, you have to bend a tab out of the way and twist the socket to get it loose. I tried replacing the bulb and it still didn't work. Luckily, I tried swapping bulbs while the turn signal was on and the bulb lit for a second as I was pulling it out of the socket. That's when I realized it was a loose socket/connector problem. I used a pick to bend the contacts a little tighter and now mine's working fine.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

For those who haven't replaced the bulb yet, on your own. I've heard some say they removed the tire. I didn't find that to be necessary. I can now change one in about five minutes. The difficult part is getting your hand in position to depress the relief button. Having not seen what it looked like before I started I wasn't sure what to feel for.

To save you the problem I will describe the release.

The bulb socket holder is rectangular in shape and is in a horizontal position. When you feel it you will feel wires entering one end of the rectangle. The release is on the end opposite the wires. It is semi-circular in shape. On end of the rounded part is the pivot point and the other needs to be depressed. You will probably hear a slight click.

Then rotate the rectangle part counter-clockwise.

It sounds more difficult then it actually is after you have done it and been able to look at the socket.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:50 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Did you leave the wheel pointed straight or turn it get enough clearance?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:35 AM
verbatim_dkw
Intermediate

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Morning Peoples - well I you are not going to believe this - I took my car into the dealer -Radely Chev in Fredericksburg, VA. They took in my car to replace the bub and a half hour later they tech guy told me that they would - now get this - pull off the fender , and the front bumper to get to the headlights and turn signel bubs - I said @##$ way - it under warranty - and he should me the procedure - and was like two pages. Do any body out there have pictures posted on how to get to these bubs - Right now my car is scheudle to enter the BOBY SHOP next week - I tell you - I just could not beleive my eyes and the expression on the tech's face when he told me that @#$@! - help me out
Old 06-29-2005, 08:48 AM
stanleyp
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by verbatim_dkw
Morning Peoples - well I you are not going to believe this - I took my car into the dealer -Radely Chev in Fredericksburg, VA. They took in my car to replace the bub and a half hour later they tech guy told me that they would - now get this - pull off the fender , and the front bumper to get to the headlights and turn signel bubs - I said @##$ way - it under warranty - and he should me the procedure - and was like two pages. Do any body out there have pictures posted on how to get to these bubs - Right now my car is scheudle to enter the BOBY SHOP next week - I tell you - I just could not beleive my eyes and the expression on the tech's face when he told me that @#$@! - help me out
Don't walk away from this dealer. RUN!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:51 AM
stanleyp
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tin Star
For those who haven't replaced the bulb yet, on your own. I've heard some say they removed the tire. I didn't find that to be necessary. I can now change one in about five minutes. The difficult part is getting your hand in position to depress the relief button. Having not seen what it looked like before I started I wasn't sure what to feel for.

To save you the problem I will describe the release.

The bulb socket holder is rectangular in shape and is in a horizontal position. When you feel it you will feel wires entering one end of the rectangle. The release is on the end opposite the wires. It is semi-circular in shape. On end of the rounded part is the pivot point and the other needs to be depressed. You will probably hear a slight click.
I would KILL to see an actual pic of this socket so I can visualize it.

Then rotate the rectangle part counter-clockwise.

It sounds more difficult then it actually is after you have done it and been able to look at the socket.
I would KILL to see a pic of the socket so I could visualize it. Ny hand is as big as a ham and I don't have much room in there.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

Originally Posted by wanta06
Did you leave the wheel pointed straight or turn it get enough clearance?

You will have to turn the wheel for each side. For he driver side turn the steering all the way as if making right turn (the passenger side is left turn). That moves the leading edge of the tire out of the way so that you can get your hands in. It really isn't hard at all after you have done it once.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Is it your headlight or turn signal/daytime running light that is not working?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Well peoples - listen here. I was driving my Percision Red C6 and I went to make a turn - and your know that sound you get when one of your turn Sig bubs are burned out - you guess it - a FAST clicking sound. I pull over and sure enough - It was out. So I called the dealer and guess what - I had to make an appointment - the bub cost 16.00 for one (1) - has any body on the forum know how to change to bub - when I looked - I could not tell. The car is still under warranty - but I would have just paid the price for the bub and did it myself - but did not want to start taking off stuff trying to get the inside headlight assembly -
I've had six in mine since Oct but the have replaced the for me, you have to pull the front tire to get to the bulb and it'd a pain in the azz to pull and replace. Here is the info from GM

Document ID# 1656539

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service VME - Front Turn Signal Bulb Inoperative At times - keywords lamp light signal turn #PIC3540 - (May 10, 2005)
Service VME - Front Turn Signal Bulb Inoperative At Times
2005 Chevrolet Corvette

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

SERVICE VME:
This is a service VME to all Chevrolet dealer regarding 2005 Corvettes with front turn signal bulbs that may be intermittently inoperative.

There have been field comments that the front turn signal bulbs may not illuminate. Dealers report the condition is intermittent and replacing the bulb does not correct the condition.

The root cause may be a loss of contact between the base of the bulb and socket. Bowling Green Assembly switched bulb suppliers from Wagner to Sylvania. The Sylvania bulbs operate at a significantly lower temperature which may increase bulb life. If a customer has a front turn signal bulb inoperative, the dealers should follow the procedure in SI and remove the bulb. The bulb should be checked for operation off of the vehicle using a 12 volt power source. If the bulb is found to be inoperative, replace the bulb using a Sylvania source. If the bulb is found to operate out of the socket then dealer should attempt to slightly pull the socket connectors forward to provide a better contact with the bulb. If after extending the socket contact forward and the bulb still does not operate Please contact Art Spong Brand Quality Manager at 586-947-8890. DO not order a replacement headlamp assembly before working with Art Spong.

A service harness is being prepared for SPO and should be available shortly.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1656539
Old 06-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

You take off the tire and there is 6 screws that hold a rubber plate and it's behind it, all three are in the same place. Your dealer is a moron.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:30 AM
grumpy63
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default #

I have replaced both of my turn signal/DRL lights on my PR C6...You do not need to remove the wheel and you only need to remove the two outside quick pins in the rubber cover..As mentioned earlier release the lock and rotate 1/4 turn CCW. New low temp bulbs at NAPA are $1. each. I buy them two at a time...
Old 06-29-2005, 11:34 AM
verbatim_dkw
Intermediate

Cruise-In VI Veteran

well Tin Star - my Headlighta work fine - its the turn signal/daytime running light thats not working - I don't way the guy is telling me this - You know - its really hard to fine people/dealers who wants to work on vetts - they treat this car like its - well hard to work on - no - I think that they (dealers and others mechs) know if they @@#$ the car up - corvette owners particular want their cars bakc the same way the gave it to them. Wehn I had a small warter leak in my 2003 Z06 - the car was so dirty after I got it back - I complained that when i gave you the car - it was CLEAN - I just wanted it back clean - they paid their Dealer Detailer to clean it for me - but is was the principle.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:36 AM
verbatim_dkw
Intermediate

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Hey Boozman - I emailed the Tech Bull to radley Chevy - I have not heard back from them. I think the tech was scared he would !@#@#$ something up- and did want to touch it - We will see - I have a call int othe service manager and see what he says - thanks for the post and information
Old 06-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Now that we have established that it is not the headlight. Follow my instructions and you will see how easy it is. I change them without removing the wheel, however on your first time I could see how it would be easier to get the wheel out of your way.. Either way, it's no big deal.

The three "screws" that hold the rubber cover aren't screws but are little locking devices that have a plunger in the center of them. I was able to grip them with my finger nail but you might use a flat blade screwdriver to help pull the plunger out. The plunger comes out about 1/2 inch and allows the little device to then be pulled out of the hole.

Use your owner manuel and my instructions above. Go for it.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:32 PM
wlee013
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed both of mine. Make sure you use the sylvania bulbs. The construction of the bulb is much better than the Borg Warner bulbs. I got the bulbs at checkkers. I beleive it was 3157NALL.

I did it myself without problems. Just remember the bulb socket has a tab that must be depressed for the socket to be removed.

Get notified of new replies

To My Headlights Bubs Burned Out

Old 06-29-2005, 01:37 PM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

What's a "bub", Bub?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 PM
drzfire
Racer

What a great help you guys are! My right front amber running light was out as well.........followed the instructions provided above, and the light is working again! My hands were a bit too big to get in there to depress the release tab, so I had to spend 5 minutes removing the tire, and another 5 minutes fiddling with the bulb/socket assembly. Tightened it up a bit using needlenose pliers, and was successful, 1st try!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Dave
Old 06-30-2005, 09:22 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default There is a sketch in the useless manual.

Quick Reply: My Headlights Bubs Burned Out