C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Lift Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,996 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Default Car Lift Experience

I have a two car garage with a 12' ceiling, and I am seriously considering getting a 4-post car lift so I do not have to move my jeep out of the driveway each morning. In the winter, the vette would go up top, and the jeep down below.

I have checked out everyone from Globe Lift to the "back-yard buddy". Prices ranging from 2k to $3500 for 7000 pounds.

Everyone says they are the best, an industry leader, and the safest.

Does anyone own one, or purchased one recently? Any advice on what to worry about and what to not worry about whould be a huge help. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 PM
stanleyp
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the decisions you need to make is: Do you want Chinese-made or American-made.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:49 PM
THE LEGEND LIVES
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backyard Buddy

I've had a Backyard Buddy for the past 3 years and am very satisfied. My '72 goes on top and the '05 goes below with about 3" of clearance. I have a 9' ceiling, so anything bigger than a vette wouldn't work for me...

Last edited by THE LEGEND LIVES; 06-29-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:50 PM
3car5
Racer

With a 12' ceiling, you should be fine with any of the lifts. I put an Autolifters lift in our garage last Fall that works fantastic. Only problem is that they went oob a few weeks ago.
For the money, the Revolution lift by Rotary is an excellent buy. The primary reason I did not put it in our garage is that it was 15" wider than the lift I installed. The set up would have made the ramps sit off center from the door on our 3rd bay. I have a friend with a Backyard Buddy and it works beautiful as well.
I would highly encourage you to download the specs and mark it out in your 2 car garage. Some of the 4 post lifts are kind of wide with the posts and it can make it difficult to pull a car in the garage next to it when installed.
Bottom line, get one. they are worth every penny for both storage and maintenance, especially for those days that you are bored and want to wax the bottom of your Vette.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a 7000 lb. 4-post from "Direct Lift" for 2 years now, and it's been completely trouble free. This lift is sold by many different companies under many different names (superior, superlifts, eagle, direct, etc. all have this model), but they are all basically the same except for the color and the options they throw in.

My model has 92" between the columns, and if I could do it again I'd go wider. The Vette mirrors come pretty close (3") to the cables that run up the columns.

It's one of the best tools I've ever purchased, I couldn't live without it now. I use it at least 4 days a week and it's always held up fine.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the posts, and advice.

The backyard buddy talks a pretty good game, and shows some pretty solid resons for being very safe...and should be becasue it is quite a bit more expensive. I have a three year old, and a three month old...while they don't "play" in the garage, they are going to be around the lift, so saftey is a concern.

Hey "Legend"...is it pretty stable, (not wobbly) though not bolted to the floor? What made you go with the BYB while more expensive?

ALL: Are yours bolted to the floor? How about getting in and out of the car next to the lift? My wife has a 4 door 300M and she is worried about the doors hitting the posts...aren't they quite a bit further forward and rearward from neighboring car doors?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:42 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a single post lift I bought from American Custom Lifts in Escondito,California.The post mounts toward the outside wall,and the tracks cantilever off that.The beauty of this style lift is obviouly one less worry in contacting any of 4 posts driving in or out,or while working(it's open all around!).The distance between tracks is adjustable,and the tracks can be ordered in 25" width,as opposed to the standard 19",an important consideration for those with 10" or wider wheels.The lift can be mounted right on RaceDeck flooring(as per RaceDeck).The lift is made in America,of American steel as well.It also can be raised to 6' if you have the clearance,which it sounds like you do.I installed my Z51 bars this weekend in just one hour,and installed the CAGS eliminator in about 5 minutes.Now I wonder how I got along without a lift all these years!Brad Davies is the owner, he treated me very well,and communicates constantly at every step.This lift starts at $3995.,but you will probably find yourself optioning up.Mine was just under $6K,with shipping and install(and of course tax!).I consider it a bargain.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Blk03Z06
Racer

I have the backyard buddy system with the casters. They work great but I would never try to move the lift with a car in it. The casters do help in moving the lift for cleaning though.

Marc
Old 06-28-2005, 08:23 AM
3car5
Racer

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
Thanks for all the posts, and advice.
ALL: Are yours bolted to the floor? How about getting in and out of the car next to the lift? My wife has a 4 door 300M and she is worried about the doors hitting the posts...aren't they quite a bit further forward and rearward from neighboring car doors?
Mine is not bolted to the floor. Like Blk03Z06, we have the casters which make it nice when you want to wash the floor under the lift. I would not move it with the car on it though.
As for parking next to it, the posts are forward and rearward, so there should be no issue with the door from your wifes car hitting a post.
Just remind her that the lift is much less expensive than a garage addiiton.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3car5
Mine is not bolted to the floor. Like Blk03Z06, we have the casters which make it nice when you want to wash the floor under the lift. I would not move it with the car on it though.
As for parking next to it, the posts are forward and rearward, so there should be no issue with the door from your wifes car hitting a post.
Just remind her that the lift is much less expensive than a garage addiiton.
Ah-hah! You're a genius! I need to start by getting garage addition quotes and/or driveway widening quotes (that would require the removal of her fence and plants) and then pull back on the idea and "settle" for the lift idea.

Thanks for all the posts!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:04 PM
THE LEGEND LIVES
Burning Brakes

Hey "Legend"...is it pretty stable, (not wobbly) though not bolted to the floor? What made you go with the BYB while more expensive?
Yup...absolutely stable, with or without the weight of a car on it and it's not bolted to the floor. I went with the BYB for two primary reasons: American-made (Warren, OH) and the design. The posts are entirely enclosed by the ends of the crossmembers...they don't run inside a 3-sided post and rest on welded blocks like many designs. The "locking lugs" rest IN the cut-outs rather than ON welded blocks. I have no concerns whatsoever about parking my C6 under my C3...
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 PM
LeedDog
Instructor

Default What about the garage door?

How do you get the overhead garage door to clear the two, stacked cars?
Is your garage deep enough to stack the cars beyond the opened garage door?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

What is the minimum ceiling height required? I know there are variables. But in general, I would be more interested in either hoisting a Corvette or Camaro to work on it or storing a '79 Camaro on top and parking a C6 under it.

Y'all got any pics of the lifts as installed in a garage with a 9 ft ceiling?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:35 PM
C6Corvet
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Eagle Lift and have installed several for clients as well as a friend. They are well constructed and easy to assemble. I'm a contractor and built my garage to accept the lift. My 2 car can be a 4 car with another lift. 10' ceiling should accept it the only issue is the garage door clearence.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:37 PM
BVW
Instructor

Ah-hah! You're a genius! I need to start by getting garage addition quotes and/or driveway widening quotes (that would require the removal of her fence and plants) and then pull back on the idea and "settle" for the lift idea.

Thanks for all the posts!
Devious - I love it!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:30 PM
3car5
Racer

Originally Posted by LeedDog
We had a 32" extension on the tracks which brought the door up above the back end of the car. Our 66 which sits on top has a power antenna which sticks up about 8" when down, so we back the 66 on the lift which gives it plenty of height for the second car. We only have 7' high doors in our garage, but with the extensions, it works fine.

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2005, 10:09 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by 3car5
We had a 32" extension on the tracks which brought the door up above the back end of the car. Our 66 which sits on top has a power antenna which sticks up about 8" when down, so we back the 66 on the lift which gives it plenty of height for the second car. We only have 7' high doors in our garage, but with the extensions, it works fine.

Very nice How tall is your ceiling?

Get notified of new replies

To Car Lift Experience

Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Default garage door extension

Originally Posted by LeedDog
The garage door is 16' wide by 8' tall (you can see it in the background of "my photos" to the left).

I would have to have the track extended so the door would sit closer to the ceiling in the up position. I've already talked to a few contractors...will cost about $900 - $1000. Currently the door sits in the up position with about 42" of air above it. They would have to add a few sections of garage door (though not visible from the outside of the house), new springs, new track, and maybe drums. A new motor would not be needed, as I had a good one to start.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:05 AM
3car5
Racer

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Very nice How tall is your ceiling?
Thanks. The ceiling height at the wall where the tracks mount is 9.5'. We added a tray ceiling when we did the garage addition to make it 10.5' at the highest point. At this, I am able to put the lift at full height and park under with plenty of room. For calculation, the lift we used has 4" runways. So we planned for a 4" runway, 6" additional lift to raise the lift off of the locks. the height of the 66 which is about 50" which left about 66" to park below. Our particular lift has a height limit of 65" on the locks, so it worked perfectly.
Given that this lift is in a single door bay, I had a commercial opener added which opens the door from the spring shaft instead of over the center to insure adequate clearance.

Last edited by 3car5; 06-29-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Hey LEGEND, do you have any more pics? How about pictures while assembling? Thanks for that one pic already.

BLACK MARK, do you have any of your single poster?

Quick Reply: Car Lift Experience