C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step by Step Aux Input Added to Nav Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by nowheelie
This is only a problem in the manual c6's.

Unfortunately, it was found that the the power feeding into the radio is constant power. The gm24 unit, which was tapping into that, was thusly running my battery down.

The auto c6's don't have this same problem, and can be tapped into the radios power line using the manufacturers instructions verbatim.

I'm sure they'll figure something out, but for the time being...tap into the fuse.

(the above was confirmed by pac audio in conversation, and myself in implimentation both ways)
There must be a switched line to the radio somewhere, how else would it turn off when the car turns off?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:29 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Periokid
There must be a switched line to the radio somewhere, how else would it turn off when the car turns off?
I would add the guess that it's a programming feature because there is not a descriptor on the pin listings that shows switched power. In other words, the radio gets power all the time based on what the pin descriptors say, so there could be a data signal that tells it to shut off much of its internals once the door is opened and the ignition is off (or once the timeout runs).
Old 09-22-2005, 02:51 AM
DaveZeltser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i have a lot of news for you guys and a lot of questions. I tried installing the PAC AAI-GM24 aux input adaptor again using the same directions.

Here is whats important: there is no switched power in our C6's. i have damn near tried everything from the harness on the back of the NAV unit to the fuse for the heated seats. Everything is on hot all the time. But hey thats not such a big surprise to me. So if you noticed on the PAC AAI-GM24 unit there are a bunch of leads for a red wire a red and yellow wire and an orange wire? well these are switched power wires however they cant handle much power at all.

My big discovery was that the BCM (body control module) sends a signal *after* roughly 30 seconds to turn everything off in different stages.
I believe the sequence for powerdown after exiting the car is:
immediately turn off engine and main electronics including nav *screen*
15 seconds turn off courtesy lamps.
30 seconds turn off dash lights.
45-60 seconds turn off Nav unit including spinning of nav disk and rear nav unit cooling fan.
now everything is off.

The reason i know this is because if you turn your car off and sit in it. you can hear the relays cut off power at those diferent stages.

when you add the GM24 module the light and the module turn off after around 30 seconds. This unit also shuts down the accessory triggers that you could use as a remote turn on lead for your amp or if you want to be ahead of all this add a relay that turns on a high amp circuit.

I am unsure because i havent had enough time to test but a lot of us were ending up with dead batteries after installing this unit.
i found out that the modifications that teamspeed did to the harness arent holding very well and arent making a good connection, probably because i had been fidgeting with them too much causing a really poor connection... As soon as the connection is broken the module forgets to turn off during the power off routine when you exit the car. The reason i think this is happening is that the unit must receive some sort of digital signal that tells it to shut down, from the BCM. Once a connection is lost on the data bus line i think it chokes and just stays on. Make sure you have a good connection! test it to see if the status light on the module goes off after a minute or so after turning off the car and opening and shutting the door to get rid of retained accesory power.

I still want to find a true switched power in my C6. Its annoying that i cant rewire my accessory power for my cell phone charger to turn off with normal shutdown.

I hope this helps somone. I have spent way too much time on this and i think i may have figured it out.

I am going to be adding a subwoofer. i have seen many posts about different methods. can someone please tell me what i need to do to figure this out.

please correct me if i am wrong about any of this. I want to figure this out for sure as much as many others do.

Last edited by DaveZeltser; 09-22-2005 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:13 AM
mss8022
Instructor

I never was able to figure out why the PAC GM harness was running my battery down, and I just gave up on it.

Decided I could live without a Aux input until there is a real plug and play solution like there is for vitually every other car in the world.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:17 PM
DaveZeltser
Racer

i just woke up this morning and tried starting the car. it looks like everything is ok... It didnt kill the battery overnight. What method were you attaching the module? were you splicing into the 24 pin oem harness? did you unplug the battery while you were working on it? i think that you have to for the BCM to work right with the GM24
Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 PM
mss8022
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveZeltser
i just woke up this morning and tried starting the car. it looks like everything is ok... It didnt kill the battery overnight. What method were you attaching the module? were you splicing into the 24 pin oem harness? did you unplug the battery while you were working on it? i think that you have to for the BCM to work right with the GM24
We followed the instructions on this thread exactly. We did use Version 2 of the PAC GM harness. Is that what you used?

I will say this though...the PAC unit did shut down the car about one-third of the time....it was an intermittant problem for some reason. one minute the car would shut down, one minute it would not. The way we could tell was by looking at the amps and at the light on the PAC unit.

We called PAC about the problem and to confirm that we had hooked the unit up correctly. We had...we just could not figure out the problem.

As to subwoofers, see the following thread for what I did to change out my stock subwoofers and add amps for the system:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...08&forum_id=20
Old 09-24-2005, 11:00 AM
thirdwaver
Heel & Toe

I installed the system and now I can't hear onstar or the onboard phone any more. The mic still works because I can say, "My Number" and it's displayed on the DIC. Also, I found that I can't have a CD in the in dash unit or the CD Changer screen won't come up.

Anyone else having this problem?

Sean
Old 09-24-2005, 02:19 PM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Originally Posted by Steve Germany
Blazer - you are a stereophile's hero! Thanks for your help! I hope that someone put this thread into an archive somewhere!
I am with the government and I'm here to help... this thread was put in the FAQ yesterday TO BE FOREVER IMMORTALIZED!

Old 11-27-2005, 05:55 PM
zcasper
Intermediate

Can anyone confirm a successful installation of this on a 2005 nav system with a manual transmission? I really want to hook-up my iPod but I am leery with all the talk of power drains. I'm okay if it breaks the OnStar (my subscription just ran out).

Thanks in advance,

Zach
Old 11-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Can't confirm but the next trick I'm going to try is hard wiring the power to a hard on off.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:49 PM
TonyC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nicely done. Thanks for the wonderful post.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:34 PM
nowheelie
Racer

Originally Posted by zcasper
Can anyone confirm a successful installation of this on a 2005 nav system with a manual transmission? I really want to hook-up my iPod but I am leery with all the talk of power drains. I'm okay if it breaks the OnStar (my subscription just ran out).

Thanks in advance,

Zach
I have a man6 w/nav.

I posted on page2 here how mine works now - I did the add-a-circuit method to feed power to the pac unit (tapped into the fuse panel on the passenger footwell). It's been working for the past couple months without a problem.

No dbs. Everything shuts down as expected. Lots of endless music from my little sony.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:45 PM
lovecars
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This fix will not work on the 06 C6.

The new vette has the new 32bit processor and GMLAN which is the same as the XLR Cadillac (corvette)

I spoke with Joe Riggs about this and they are working on it.

Meanwhile I installed a hard wired FM modulator to the radio so I can hook up my IPOD, so far I have to open up everything because I have the gain turned up too high on the modulator and the signal being pumped in to the radio is distorted.

i wil do this fix next week sometime, I'm out of commission right now, just had surgery and the Dr will not let me do anything so far....
Old 12-13-2005, 04:30 PM
thirdwaver
Heel & Toe

I can confirm that I have it working on a manual 05. I too did the add-a-circuit method. My only complaint (and it's mainly cause I've been too lazy to look for a different fuse) is that the power seats fuse turns off with the engine so there's no listening to the iPod in Accessory mode. At this point, it's better than nothing. Now if I could just get my Nano's screen to stop breaking. I just sent my second one back *sigh*.

Sean
Old 12-29-2005, 07:12 AM
cdwalter
Heel & Toe

Default When?

Did Joe Riggs give any kind of timeframe? I had my installer follow these directions and I get a CDX error after 5-10 minutes and the button returns to CD.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 AM
thirdwaver
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cdwalter
Did Joe Riggs give any kind of timeframe? I had my installer follow these directions and I get a CDX error after 5-10 minutes and the button returns to CD.
That would tell me that your installer picked a power source that's turning off after ten minutes. I have the opposite problem because I used the heated seats circuit for power, mine does what you describe the second I turn off the car.

Sean
Old 01-08-2006, 07:46 PM
thirdwaver
Heel & Toe

Default Problems after Radio Update

Ok, so I don't confuse this issue, here's the timeline...

After I installed the Aux adapter as described in this thread in my 05 Manual, and got the power situation handled, all was working well EXCEPT when I turned the engine off, the volume on the stereo would shoot up really loud... regardless of the auto volume setting on the stereo.

I installed the update to the NAV and Radio firmware to try to get MP3 cd's to work, plus someone in that thread mentioned that it fixed an issue with the Automatic Level function so I thought it might solve my volume shooting up problem. Nope. In fact, since installing the updated firmware, my Aux adaptor works only 50% of the time now (when it's not working, I press the CDX button, but it doesn't switch to the changer screen it just stays on the current input). Shutting the stereo off and on has no effect.

So I took the whole thing apart and thought I'd disconnect the aux adaptor to test the volume problem and joila! It went away. So now my volume stays constant when I turn the motor off but I have no aux adaptor. If I reconnect the aux adaptor, it works (now) 50% of the time but the volume problem is back. *sigh*

Am I the only one having this problem?

Sean

Get notified of new replies

To Step by Step Aux Input Added to Nav Instructions

Old 01-25-2006, 09:20 PM
mfinocc
Pro

Great article!! How is the sound quality? Are you getting CD quality sound out of this connection? Will the PAC device work with the stock AM/FM/CD radio? Thanks

Last edited by mfinocc; 01-25-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:35 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Great!

I just had a heart attack!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Skimor
Cruising

Update: I contacted TeamSpeed as suggested to make the modifications to the harness. This was his reply:

"I don't do the mods to the PAC unit any more because the mods only seemed to work on one firmware revision number. PAC changed something in the subsequent versions such that the mods outlined by Blazer seemed to drain the battery down because the vehicle would not shut down power in the 10 minute timeout. I am not sure what has been happening in the PAC world and C6s w/Nav."

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem?

Quick Reply: Step by Step Aux Input Added to Nav Instructions