C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Taste of Ricer Power...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:57 AM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have never seen a stock STI beat 14 seconds in the 1/4.

I am sure it's their launch though.

ShopDog,

I would think your C6 would kill the STI. More info?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzlove
Geez, I can't let this go by. It has nothing to do with snobbery, and everything to do with the fact that the vast majority of these souped up ricers are driven by snot-nosed, macho little punks... They attract derison...
C'mon now, jazzlove. Generalizing is bad. I doubt you've done an exhaustive sampling to really make that kind of comment.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:55 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazerwolfe
C'mon now, jazzlove. Generalizing is bad. I doubt you've done an exhaustive sampling to really make that kind of comment.
Let me ask a question here. What was the only vehicle class thrown out of Carlisle shows? You got it the baby boy ricer class.

Let me answer this, here is 4 years worth of observations.
In my area (Albany NY) I lived 2 blocks off of Central Avenue AKA. RT 5. One of the main though fairs in the tri-city area. Maybe this only holds for my little corner of the world. Most of the ricer stuff (punk junk) in my area are fast-furious want to bees. Big dumb spoilers, fart can exhausts. *** writing on the windshield
Sound systems so loud you can hear them over your radio 150’ away. Seats reclined so far back from behind it looks like no one in the car. . Trying to act like bad a**es. Many times these punks travel in groups of 4 or more. They will cut you off, and then flip you off. If you had a “problem” with one you had a problem with all. Kinda of like a gang mentality. Yes they were a few, very few real fast cars; for the most part they were OK.
Most of others were punks.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
RWSjr
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by THE LEGEND LIVES
A turd is a turd, no matter what you do to it!
Some turds are faster than others.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:07 PM
CFRA_7
Instructor

I think it's too bad that so many have to bash others cars just so they don't feel that they made a bad choice in buying a Corvette. In reality the Corvette has one of the best performance potentials for the $ that I know of. However, to make a Corvette handle you need a driver that knows how to drive it. 90% of Corvette drivers would be passed around Sears Point (Infineon) but a 140 hp Miata with some suspension mods and some sticky tires. Don't put down the other cars unless you can step-up to the plate show what you got. At our last track event an modified but street legal EVO beat all the Corvettes. However the Corvettes beat the Porsche GT3 and Ferrari 355. However I'm sure some Ferrari and Porsche guys talk about the Corvette the way you talk about Japanese cars. Doesn't make it right.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:38 PM
RC51Driver
Advanced

Yeah I'm not a quarter mile guy, but when it was stock there was no way I could break 14. After a few mods I can run 13.8, 13.9 almost every time, well unless the driver has his typical brain fade. I hate 1/4 mile. Launching it is hard because there is almost no tire slip so when it grabs and the RPM's aren't right it just bogs like a pig. When you get it right it makes your eye sockets hurt. That's the nice thing about the C6. Even when you get it wrong with all that torque, you can usually make it look like you didn't blow it.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:42 PM
John George
Melting Slicks

Location: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies. --Bokonon
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'07

Vipers rule.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:43 PM
RC51Driver
Advanced

Funny thing is that if you look at the history of hot rods and muscle cars, they were all considered punks when they were modding their cars. Now that they have all gotten older and have money they look down on the guys that are doing the exact same thing they were. Funny turn of events. Most guys I know in the younger crowd that have imports also usually have Fox body cars that they tinker with as well. Obviously there is something to it, last time I checked people like Edelbrock started making parts for imports. You don't stay around as long as the Edelbrocks by putting your head in the sand, you adapt, embrace, and partake.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:45 PM
beckel
Instructor

A real car guy is a car guy no matter what he is driving.

On more than one occasion I have exchanged thumbs up with a 575 Maranello, Maserati, 550 Maranello, and a GT-2, Cobra replica, 69 Chevelle SS, and any of a number of other vehicles. I didn't race any of them, but engaged in a little high speed follow the leader. The only reason I was beating my *** to keep up with them is to watch them run. I love the Vette, but If I had the funds to mintain it, I would burn rubber on the way to the Ferrari dealer.

The idea is to learn how to separate the idiots from the car guys (no matter what they drive) and then ignore them.

That being said, I also own a ricer (2002 Sentra SE-R). The engine mods are limited to bolt ons, crank pulley and motor mounts. The suspension is full autocross, and on a tight twisting mountain road that little sucker can maintain some serious speed.

All cars can be fun in their own way. We need to be careful that we don't forget our youth and become those who we made fun of when we were young.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Mobile Man
Instructor

Default Really...

Geez, I can't let this go by. It has nothing to do with snobbery, and everything to do with the fact that the vast majority of these souped up ricers are driven by snot-nosed, macho little punks... They attract derison...
If that's so, why did you make a special point of comparing your "$60,000 car" to their $30,000 car.

Look, throughout history people who had more car passion than money have modded their cars to make them run in a faster class. The people that paid more money for their cars have never liked it. Lincoln and Caddy owners didn't like flathead Fords with no fenders blasting by them! YOU ARE GUILTY OF THIS TOO!! How many hear like to gloat that their $50-60K Corvette can smoke a $100-200K Porsche or Ferrari for much less money??

Now that YOU have the money, you want the rules changed. You can't have it...live with it. Car people will always figure out ways to get the most performance out of their cars within their budget. This is the way it should be!!
Old 06-20-2005, 05:04 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mobile Man
If that's so, why did you make a special point of comparing your "$60,000 car" to their $30,000 car.

Whoa cowboy, you're taking a short cut through the facts. I never made any comparison, of any kind... That was another poster. In my original post, I simply related my surprise at the accelerative abilities of a rice burner... nothing more. A car guy is a car guy no matter what they drive, and I respect that.

What I did say, and still hold to, is that they (Ricers) are for the most part, snot-nosed punks..., lookin' to prove something,... and Lazerwolfe, to you Brother, I'm sorry, but my all my experience here in San Antonio confirms it...

I rest my case...

Last edited by jazzlove; 06-20-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Mobile Man
Instructor

Whoa cowboy, you're taking a short cut through the facts. I never made any comparison, of any kind... That was another poster. In my original post, I simply related my surprise at the accelerative abilities of a rice burner... nothing more. A car guy is a car guy no matter what they drive, and I respect that. What I did say, and still hold to, is that they (Ricers) are for the most part, snot-nosed punks...

I rest my case...
Ooops...sorry, I guess it was Alphonse instead of you. :o

Bottom line, as someone said above, you learn to separate the real car guys from the posers and jerks and then avoid the jerks (or posers/punks).

BTW, I'm over 50 but have no trouble whatsoever talking to young car nuts. They usually don't know very much, but the good kids have the love and enthusiasm for things automotive that I relate to. The know-it-all punks are not so very different than some of the intransigent members of this forum.

Life is too short to hang with knuckleheads, whatever their ages!!
Old 06-20-2005, 05:53 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooops...sorry, I guess it was Alphonse instead of you. :o

Bottom line, as someone said above, you learn to separate the real car guys from the posers and jerks and then avoid the jerks (or posers/punks).

BTW, I'm over 50 but have no trouble whatsoever talking to young car nuts. They usually don't know very much, but the good kids have the love and enthusiasm for things automotive that I relate to. The know-it-all punks are not so very different than some of the intransigent members of this forum.

Life is too short to hang with knuckleheads, whatever their ages!!
Amen Brother...
Old 06-21-2005, 03:29 AM
RC51Driver
Advanced

Well put MobilMan. I love people that love cars and have no preconcieved notions about them. I can find something good in almost every car and something bad as well, like my stupid shifter on my C6. Whoever says that thing is silky smooth has never driven a car with a real nice shifter, therefore it must GO!! Weekend project, new shifter, B&M to be exact. All hail car guys
Old 06-21-2005, 03:54 AM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Wave

Geez, guys, it isn't always about competition...it's about having fun driving. The fact that he honked and waved meant he was car guy showing solidarity with another car guy. Who cares what you paid?

BTW, Corvettes are awesome cars that are extremely fast in an ultimate sense, but in day to day driving in traffic, tight curves, variable road surfaces and weather, other cars with more modest specs are just as fast or faster in that they are optimized for that kind of driving and are not concerned about 1/4 times or 'Ring times.

Don't be snobs about car guys who make other choices or do not have your bank account.

Yep.. for other guys to wave at us for driving our Vette.. Its all good ..I dont care if he is driving a Yugo or Lambo..
Old 06-21-2005, 10:06 AM
01vette87GN
Advanced

Its all about top end here, and blah blah blah about your street racing no no bs. a 13 sec 4cly vs a 13 sec v8. there is no question that from a 70 roll the 4cyl will look like a 17 sec car vs an 11sec car. done it to many times, raced 13sec srt4s lancers and sti's from a 70 roll, all friends, its more of a joke than anything, from the line it was kinda closer on the lancer and sti but after 50mph theres no chance for em, when i raced my buddies mid 12 sec golf 1.8t he would beat me in the 1/4, Lighter car, easier to get moving etc. but after 80-90 mph its a different story, the import guys dont realise these v8s wake up at top end and continue to pull where a 4cyl wont produce the same top end unless heavily modified, HEAVILY.

Last edited by 01vette87GN; 06-21-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:06 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RC51Driver
Yeah the Honda Civic guys for the most part aren't very quick, but you take a guy, or girl, driving an Evo VIII or an STi that has been slightly modded, and you are gonna pay.
It's going to take more than "slight mods" to keep up with a C6. The STi is 100 pounds heavier which means you are going to have to add more than 100 HP to keep up. Adding over 30% more power is more than a slight mod, no matter how it is achieved! Add to that the fact that you are trying to get 400 HP out of a 4 banger and you'll end up with a torque curve that looks like everest and isn't flat like the LS2 and you may need a lot more than 400 HP peak to keep up.

Just my .02.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Got a Taste of Ricer Power...

Old 06-21-2005, 01:23 PM
archtop
Drifting

I remember seeing the drag race on 5th gear between a highly modded VW gti and a Viper.The guy in the Viper looked over at the young man with this smug" now it's time to teach you a lesson boy look" while the Gti driver sat there with an intense concentrated"I mean buisness" look on his face.The Viper took him off the line( for a short distance) but the look on the Viper drivers face as that POS VW blew by him was priceless.All he could say was "What the Beep",Hilarious. As the old saying goes "Never judge a book by its cover." I have the utmost respect for what young people are doing with turbo's and tuning,they're carrying on the "Hot Rod" tradition I grew up with in there own style.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:57 PM
PJinNJ
Racer

Default Very timely for me.

I was in SC this weekend and heard of a semi-sanctioned runway race. Didn't know exactly what it was so decided to see one for myself. This one was held on a two and a half mile runway. On my way I had a Plymouth Neon, debaged but nicely painted with a large spoiler and hood scoop pull up alongside my C6 on the interstate. I looked over and the guy was perhaps 20. I noticed huge Brembo brakes and what appeared like expert attention to every detail of this car, I gave him a big thumbs up as I really admired the car. He thumbed me back and let her rip and flew past me and was gone in moments. I finally arrived at the runway and it was loaded with every kind of car imaginable, a true run what ya brug get together. When I found out the run was from a rolling start and proceeded for 1/2 mile I asked if I too could try my hand and they were all happy to brief me on the process. Lo and behold, the Neon was also there. I talked to the guy and he showed me the car, awesome is all I can say. His attention to detail and a blown four cylinder covered in chrome was stunning. I asked him if we could pair up for a race and he said he'd love a crack at a C6. Well we did and from 20 mph he stayed right with me and even pulled a half car on shifts until I hit 4th at 121mph I pulled confidently away. Now, I beat him, but I have to tell you that I am going to get one of these things and play with it. Awesome what these kids can do and what they learn. I met perhaps a hundred young guys and even a few punks but their ability to build and learn amazed me. It was close to the most enjoyable time I've ever spent at a race. Thumbs up to all C6's, Ricers and whatever else you build, you all go for it in your own way!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
prc6vette
Racer

Originally Posted by CFRA_7
90% of Corvette drivers would be passed around Sears Point (Infineon) but a 140 hp Miata with some suspension mods and some sticky tires.
That's a very big assumption that has little if any truth behind it. You bash stereotypes, then respond with one.

Quick Reply: Got a Taste of Ricer Power...