C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went to go test drive a C6 - got kicked out of the showroom!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 06:13 PM
C6 Enthusiast
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went to go test drive a C6 - got kicked out of the showroom!

I went to a local dealer to check out their C6 coupe inventory and test drive a C6. Before I could test drive the C6, the dealer made me work the #'s first, and sign a worksheet that if the test drive done and I like the C6, I would buy the C6 at MSRP. To show them that I was serious, I gave them my credit card and let them put a $5000 deposit on my credit card.

So I took the C6 around the block, putting about 0.5 miles on the car to test it out.

After the drive, I told the dealer that I wanted some time to think about the purchase, and that I was also very interested in the C6 Z06. I asked them if I could put deposit on the C6 Z06 instead of buying the C6, and if not, then I'd need some time to think over my decision to buy the C6 that I test drove.

The dealer's General Manager got pissed off at this, and said that I test drove the C6 without any intention of buying it. He told me to get the hell out of his showroom.

I was like !! I wanted to spend more money with the dealer by putting down a deposit on the Z06 instead, and they kick me out of the showroom, without giving me even time to think about buy the C6 as well.

I felt bad for the sales guy. He was a really good guy and I told him I had a little bit reservation because the Z06 was coming out, and I wanted the Z06 also, but wanted to test drive the C6 coupe to see how I liked it.

So I guess I'm an azzhole eh??

Last edited by C6 Enthusiast; 06-11-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:22 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Sorry to heat that, so how did you like the C6?
Old 06-11-2005, 06:27 PM
C6Batmobile
Racer

Originally Posted by C6 Enthusiast
I went to a local dealer to check out their C6 coupe inventory and test drive a C6. Before I could test drive the C6, the dealer made me work the #'s first, and sign a worksheet that if the test drive done and I like the C6, I would buy the C6 at MSRP. To show them that I was serious, I gave them my credit card and let them put a $5000 deposit on my credit card.

So I took the C6 around the block, putting about 0.5 miles on the car to test it out.

After the drive, I told the dealer that I wanted some time to think about the purchase, and that I was also very interested in the C6 Z06. I asked them if I could put deposit on the C6 Z06 instead of buying the C6, and if not, then I'd need some time to think over my decision to buy the C6 that I test drove.

The dealer's General Manager got pissed off at this, and said that I test drove the C6 without any intention of buying it. He told me to get the hell out of his showroom.

I was like !! I wanted to spend more money with the dealer by putting down a deposit on the Z06 instead, and they kick me out of the showroom, without giving me even time to think about buy the C6 as well.

I felt bad for the sales guy. He was a really good guy and I told him I had a little bit reservation because the Z06 was coming out, and I wanted the Z06 also, but wanted to test drive the C6 coupe to see how I liked it.

Make sure to call your CC company and let them know that the charge should not go through at all costs!
Old 06-11-2005, 06:28 PM
C6Harley
Drifting

I'm not defending the dealers, but You know how most corvette owners (including me) are. I wouldnt take a car from a dealer if it had 50 miles on it from test drives and BS. The corvettes are in high demand right now.

I felt lucky to get a test drive.

With that said though, that is RIDICULOUS. You arent talking about not buying anything, but mentioned ordering a more expensive car from them! Some people have no manners and have a buy it now or leave attitude. Glad you chose to leave

There are dealers out there who will be happy to take your money and have your business Im very happy with the dealer I have finally ended up with. They werent the most knowledgeable on the new c6, but they have been very helpful and they treat me like a king when I go in there.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Need 4 Speed
Pro

What a loser GM...They really need to get some better people working to help the customers..Who in there right mind would say that when you want a car that costs more..It's not like you even got to really test drive it in that small distance..I could see if you switched to a Cobalt but the Z06...Feel really bad for the sales guy and for you to be treated like that..The hell with them and go somewhere else..
P.S. What did u think of the C6?
Old 06-11-2005, 06:32 PM
archtop
Drifting

For them to do that to you is total I would never buy a car there,you have a right to test drive a car before you buy it and a right to think about it.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:42 PM
TOPGON
Racer

Dealers and their service departments will continue to treat the Corvette commnuity any way they choose if they are not held accountable. Moreover I really wonder if anyone at the general cares anymore if dealers are permitted to pull these stunts? They are independants thus NO control at all bad for the product and the company and worst of all US
Old 06-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Nickedimus
Instructor

this is insane treatment, but not unheard of for me either. i drove 400 miles out of my way to avoid that kinda treatment. hear in northern va i couldnt get a dealer to even talk numbers with me, just a quick quip of "msrp + $5k, or +10k". went to kerbecks instead, came in at 10 mins to closing after being at a convention all day, was greeted by george kerbeck himself, was told "pick one and well get a tag for a drive"....

guys, this is 10 mins to close, im dressed in ratty jeans and a flanel shirt (not looking like someone who is serious about buying by any means) its 25 degrees outside with wind chill of -5 and im cruising down the jersey parkway in a LMB....

treatment was so good, curtious, NOT PUSHY!!!, that i went back home to VA, and came back a week later for my baby...

now thats how a dealer should be, thank you George Kerbeck, and Mike Bellino for bringing me back into the GM family with good ole honest treatment....hey GM are you listening???
Old 06-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They probably don't sell enough Corvettes to even get a Z06 allocation and didn't want to tell you that.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Jay13
Race Director

Location: . [Rotorhead] "You seem to be a douche. What I'm getting at is just STFU" [/Rotorhead]
St. Jude Donor '06 & '09 & '11

What The worksheet was a dead giveaway.

However, accountability cannot be had in anonymity.

Name of dealership please so we call all avoid same?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:03 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like a certain dealership in San Antonio...
Old 06-11-2005, 07:54 PM
MIKLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
They probably don't sell enough Corvettes to even get a Z06 allocation and didn't want to tell you that.
MOST DEALERS W'ONT GET A Z06 FOR A LONG TIME... I WENT 2OO MILES TO BUY MINE.MY LOCAL DEALER TRIED TO GET IT ON A DEALER TRANSFER BUT THEY WOULDN'T LET IT GO...SO I WENT TO THEM.I RESEARCHED THE C6 AND KNEW EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED.I HAD NEVER DRIVEN A CORVETTE BEFORE MUCH LESS OWNED 1.I HAD 4 4TH GEN. CAMARO'S..A 94 Z-28..WRECKED AFTER ONLY 2400 MILES...ANOTHER 94 Z-28 TO REPLACE THE WRECKED 1...A 96 SS....A 02 SS..LOVED EVERYONE OF THEM..THEY WERE EXACTLY WHAT I EXPECTED THEM TO BE.SO I DIDN'T EVEN ASK FOR A TEST DRIVE..ALTHOUGH THEY INSISTED AND I DID DRIVE IT AROUND THE LOT..IT HAD 5 MILES ON IT.I WOULDN'T WANT A CAR THAT HAD A LOT OF TEST DRIVE MILES ON IT.I HAD MY MIND MADE UP AND TOLD THEM WHAT I WOULD PAY FOR IT AND I DROVE IT HOME....EASY AS PIE...IT'S THE BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED...SO WHY WOULD YOU HAVE TO TEST DRIVE 1 IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WANT????.....NOT BEING A SMARTA** BUT JUST CURIOUS...MIKE

Last edited by MIKLL; 06-11-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:44 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Thats ashame....
Old 06-11-2005, 08:56 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 291 Posts

Can you say what dealer?
Old 06-11-2005, 09:01 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Can you say what dealer?

I drove several C6s over a 3 month period before I ordered mine. The dealer was happy to allow me to choose the exact car I wanted by trying different combinations. I'd not buy from any dealer who won't let me test drive with no strings attached. Corvettes are not like Ferrari Enzos where you have to be on the 'approved customer' list.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:46 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Old 06-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Gussy913
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Ridiculous.....

Get notified of new replies

To went to go test drive a C6 - got kicked out of the showroom!

Old 06-11-2005, 10:22 PM
C6 Enthusiast
Drifting

It was Midway Chevrolet in Phoenix, Arizona.

I loved the C6. However, I have no reservations about plunking $10 - $20k more for the Z06 when it comes out, and told the dealer that. I wanted to put a deposit on the Z06 today, or have a day or two to think if I really really wanted to buy the C6 now, and possibly regret not buying the Z06 when it becomes available.

Any how, I love the C6 coupe, 6 speed, Z51 trim that I drove. It was very very very nice.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Lerxst2112
Racer

Originally Posted by C6 Enthusiast

Sorry about your experience. Unfortunately, it's common. Before buying my C5 off a showroom floor, I went to a BMW dealer and asked to test drive an M3. Also went to a M-B delaer and asked to drive a CLK-55 (AMG). Both of them looked at me like I was completely insane. I gave them a few interesting words and left.

The test drive I finally *did* get was a used C5, but it suited me just fine. Broken in, and everything! Unfortunately I didn't buy mine from them either, b/c they offered some level of service, but no level of value. Wouldn't budge off MSRP even late in the model run.

And no, you're not an *******. But many dealers are.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:28 PM
C6 Enthusiast
Drifting

Thanks for your support. I felt bad about the whole thing, but I made it clear that I would prefer the Z06 over the c6. It's a shame they won't take my money, and they won't earn my business this way either.

Quick Reply: went to go test drive a C6 - got kicked out of the showroom!