C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED ADVICE!! Z51 or Not?? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 09:30 PM
dizzzzy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED ADVICE!! Z51 or Not?? Help!!

Forum Members.. I need some advice and Quick!! Here is the story..

I am the proud owner of a silver 1sb, 6spd, cpe. This is my 2nd C6 already this year, and both have been 6spd's, without Z51. My dealer, who is a supporting dealer on the forum, has offered me a convertible at invoice!! He has the allocation, and the car will be given a TPW on tuesday.. I have promised my wife, that if we got a convert, it would be a automatic.. What I need advice on is this.. Would you put Z51 on a auto?? I have already put on the G90 axle, and wonder if I should take it off and put on the Z51, leave it on and put on the Z51, or just leave the G90?? Before you voice in, here is why I can't decide.. I will only have the car for 3 months before I sell it. In wisconsin, its foolish to pay for a car to sit in the garage, so we get a new vette every year.. I don't want to spend the extra on the Z51, if my wife is hardly ever going to notice it.. I need to know if I will get my money out of the Z51 on resale, with it being a auto?? I know the Z51 is on constraint, but he does have the allocation for it if I want it.. If this was going to be a stick, it would be a no brainer.. The car will have NAV, Xm, chrome wheels, 1sb, VR/Blk/Blk

I am stuck, and need to let him know by monday nite.. Can you members offer any advice??

Thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 09:34 PM
bbster
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Z51

Go for the Z51 I have it on mine with auto....
Old 06-03-2005, 09:36 PM
lmbc6
Advanced

So do I (Z51 Auto), but I'm old and lazy!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:39 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Yeah, I can offer you some advice. Buy the vert, get Z51 and anything else you'd need to make it exactly what you want, and hang on to it, even through the Wisconsin winter. To buy such a car (even at invoice) knowing full well that you're going to unload it after just 3 months makes no sense whatsoever. Sure, you might be able to sell it for close to what you have in it, but then what? Do you order another one in January so you'll have one for the following spring and summer? Unless you've got $$$ to burn, that would make no sense.

Get the vert and hang on to it. You'll be able to drive it now and then even in the winter (I know - I lived in Wisconsin for my first 35 years). When there's snow or salt on the highway, keep it tucked comfortably away in the garage.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:41 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

BTW, who's the dealer? EVS?

"Who do ya know, wants to buy a car?"
Old 06-03-2005, 09:42 PM
redvetteC6
Drifting

Location: Huntington Beach Ca 1 out of 4 Americans are mentally unstable, so if 3 of your friends are OK . . . .
St. Jude Donor '05

Z51
Old 06-03-2005, 09:42 PM
ASZ2222
Melting Slicks

I love my Z51 auto
Old 06-03-2005, 09:47 PM
dizzzzy
Pro

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Yeah, I can offer you some advice. Buy the vert, get Z51 and anything else you'd need to make it exactly what you want, and hang on to it, even through the Wisconsin winter. To buy such a car (even at invoice) knowing full well that you're going to unload it after just 3 months makes no sense whatsoever. Sure, you might be able to sell it for close to what you have in it, but then what? Do you order another one in January so you'll have one for the following spring and summer? Unless you've got $$$ to burn, that would make no sense.

Get the vert and hang on to it. You'll be able to drive it now and then even in the winter (I know - I lived in Wisconsin for my first 35 years). When there's snow or salt on the highway, keep it tucked comfortably away in the garage.
Mpuzach.. I do understand what you are saying, but by getting the car at the right money, I can enjoy it for the summer, sell it at no loss, not pay interest to the bank, or insurance (Can't forget that) and have the next years model with anything thats new for the year.. It has worked out for me the last few years.. Thats why I am stumped about the Z51.. I am not sure it will get me back what it cost on resale, and with the car being a auto, with the G90, I am wondering if its really worth it or not. Like I said, if it was a stick, it would be a no brainer!! Thanks for your input though..
Old 06-03-2005, 09:48 PM
dizzzzy
Pro

Originally Posted by mpuzach
BTW, who's the dealer? EVS?

"Who do ya know, wants to buy a car?"

No, Alot more west!!! Closer to you than me!!

And the only reason I am getting such a deal is that this is my 3rd C6 from him this year.. And he is getting my Coupe on a trade in..
Old 06-03-2005, 09:55 PM
mtaylor72
Intermediate

Default Buy and keep

you are not considering sales tax in your calculations....not to mention that you will lose some money on every transaction. If you like a new car every year, do it, but you are wasting money. And you still have to pay for insurance for the 3 months...no one covers for free.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Just LOVE the base suspension!! It really translates to the Luxury Sportscar in my humble opinion!!!
Best of Luck!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:53 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtaylor72
you are not considering sales tax in your calculations....not to mention that you will lose some money on every transaction. If you like a new car every year, do it, but you are wasting money. And you still have to pay for insurance for the 3 months...no one covers for free.

sales tax is credited on trades; so if you get 50K for traide and your purchase is 55K, you pay sales tax on 5K - not really a lot.

Insurance is paid even if you keep the car or trade it.

As for the difference is drive out price vs. resell price - not that much considering you get to enjoy the car. However, 3months doesn't give a lot of time for mileage, which translates to break-in time. Which might effect the fun factor of "spirited" driving.

JK
Old 06-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I have the Z51 with automatic and love it. The G90 axle is included with the Z51 option. No extra charge above the Z51 cost. I doubt your car will be worth more with the Z51 when you trade it back to your dealer. Ask him.

Frank
Old 06-04-2005, 07:19 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 377 Likes on 270 Posts

I have the F55..GO with the Z51...
Old 06-04-2005, 07:56 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

How do you sell a used car without taking a loss? This is a concept I'm not familiar with.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Z-51
Burning Brakes

It all comes down to personal choice. I love my Z 51 auto .Just hit the gas and go while talking on the phone and drink coffee. Well I guess I’m just lazy
Old 06-04-2005, 08:22 AM
UBETRUN
Pro

Originally Posted by Z51 Coupe
It all comes down to personal choice. I love my Z 51 auto .Just hit the gas and go while talking on the phone and drink coffee. Well I guess I’m just lazy

Get notified of new replies

To NEED ADVICE!! Z51 or Not?? Help!!

Old 06-04-2005, 08:34 AM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Buying a third c6 that will take 6 to 8 weeks to build which means most of summer will be gone when you get it. Then you plan to sell it before winter---under those circumstances I wouldn't spend for the z51. My reasoning would be that you won't miss it in the short time you will be driving it and it won't make much impact on the cars value when you sell. A silver vert is a silver vert and since it is auto anyway there is probalby less demand for the z51. BTW I have a4 with the g90 without z51 and I love it. You really move cars fast.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:07 PM
dizzzzy
Pro

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
Buying a third c6 that will take 6 to 8 weeks to build which means most of summer will be gone when you get it. Then you plan to sell it before winter---under those circumstances I wouldn't spend for the z51. My reasoning would be that you won't miss it in the short time you will be driving it and it won't make much impact on the cars value when you sell. A silver vert is a silver vert and since it is auto anyway there is probalby less demand for the z51. BTW I have a4 with the g90 without z51 and I love it. You really move cars fast.
I have a tpw of 6/27.... Thanks for everyones input so far.. The sales tax issue is a mute point, I have away around that, so really it comes down to getting back the money for the Z51 when its a auto... I am trying to figure out if the demand is there, or if someone looking for a VR/ Blk auto vert, even would care if it was z51.. I think someone who really wants Z51 is going to also want a stick in the car.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:27 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by dizzzzy
I have a tpw of 6/27.... Thanks for everyones input so far.. The sales tax issue is a mute point, I have away around that, so really it comes down to getting back the money for the Z51 when its a auto... I am trying to figure out if the demand is there, or if someone looking for a VR/ Blk auto vert, even would care if it was z51.. I think someone who really wants Z51 is going to also want a stick in the car.
FWIW, there are A LOT of Z51 / automatics being built. Not only that, but this is the first year EVER that Z51 is available in verts.

Like anything, whether or not you get your money back from it will depend on whether or not you hold out long enough to find the right buyer. There are definitely people out there who will pay more for a Z51 / automatic. (How much more in the pre-owned market is anyone's guess.) It's probably a small portion of total pre-owned Vette shoppers, which is already a small group. Factor in the piece about how small the convertible market will be in Wisconsin while heading into winter and the group gets even smaller. Finally, even with your great purchase price you're going to be commanding premium $$$ for the car if you're going to recoup your investment. Personally, I think you're taking a big risk for a very short-lived reward.

Quick Reply: NEED ADVICE!! Z51 or Not?? Help!!