C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOSE Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 09:41 PM
MGL MILL
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOSE Sound System

Navigating through the posts, I have found that most people aren't very happy with the BOSE sound system in the Corvette. I can't understand why that is. Not too long ago, I took a C6 for a test drive and turned the radio all the way up and it was crystal clear. Even with the top and windows down, it was as clear as a bell and there was no static what so ever.

I have grown up always hearing about how "great" BOSE is and how it is the most premium sound systems of all. How can it be though that most are unsatisified with it? Even the "Monsoon" system in my Firebird doesn't even hold a candle to how excellent the BOSE sounds in the 'Vette. Would someone please care to expand on what's wrong with the BOSE and why it is being replaced by other manufacturer's speakers?

Thanks,
MGL MILL
Old 05-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Did you ever wonder why there are so few females found in an audio store, or how few females brag about there stereo system?
'Cause it's a man thing.
I say your sound stinks 'cause I know more, and I'm more of a man than you!
So there!

I should add that I think the Blose system is OK. Maybe 6 out of 10 points.
I simply added more *****, in the form of a 6" self powered subwoofer installed way in back. I now give it 8 out of 10. I'm happy with my deeper voice.

Last edited by Hoonose; 05-25-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:01 PM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm in the minority, but I love my Nav, XM setup.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:03 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

If you are waiting for the '06 you might want to see then what changes are made and what new equipment will be out then.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Average highs, average lows...must be Bose...so the audio world says. It's not that it is bad...pretty good for stock system in all respects, and good enough for most people.

However, there are significant gains to be had for a price. As with all other mods...it's whatever you like. In my younger years, I had competition sound vehicles...just dropped a big system in one of my cars and ripped it out a month later.

If you want quality, then rip the whole mess out and start with a head unit...can also get great gains using stock head unit with aftermarket amps/speakers.

If it works for you...then it's good. At least this is easier than the integrated amp/speaker enclosures used on past Vettes and the NSX (to name a couple). If you are an audiophile...grab some high end Focals, JL sub(s) and Phoenix Gold amps. You will still find people that don't like that setup...me included actually. I'm a Polk/Quart person...
Old 05-25-2005, 10:12 PM
JWB ZO6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Corvette has never been about the stereo system and I hope that it never is there focus.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

In my opinion, Bose System is just fine. Plus with XM, & Nav, all really works well, & sounds GREAT!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Dallas Vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

The Corvette Bose system is designed for the average Joe....there are many die-hard audiofiles in the world, and there is a profound difference in the fidelity of the high end (tweeter) between Bose and a good aftermarket. The tweeter in the Bose is a 3 inch paper cone - that one statement alone speaks volumes in terms of how NOT to replicate high frequency sound. It is used because, again, the average Joe doesn't notice it.

As for the bass, Bose did a decent job with what little space they had in the door; VERY difficult to find a happy spot between satisfying low end during the entire volume range without rattling the window gear assembly to the bottom of the door. If you want to FEEL the sound however, we definitely need subs. Feeling the sound resonates the music throughout your body during the driving experience; bumping up the euphoria you already have up another notch.

Then there are those who just like their music LOUD & PROUD...and again, the stock system falls way short of the mark, but fine for the average Joe.

Its the same rationale why some guys keep their engine stock while others replace half the stuff in it - stock this versus modified that. If you like it the way the sound system is - great! Stick with it. But for many, its like getting your first microwave - Its the "How on earth did I manage without it?!" effect.

You just didn't know what it could sound like, that's all.

Last edited by Dallas Vette; 05-25-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:20 PM
greengo
Drifting

In reality the Bose system is a really good system for the human ear...sure you can get more fqz response but the human ear can not really appreciate it!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:21 PM
murphman72
Instructor

I don't have one yet, but you might find that more people post about problems far greater than they post about compliments and satisfaction. So it may be that there is a very large but silent majority when it comes to the stereo system.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:49 PM
tfenton
Racer

I think the Bose system is great when it's turned off.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:20 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I liked it till my door speaker blew!!! Time go all out!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:26 AM
DebtCraft
Racer

I'm happy with my Bose NAV system. I don't like the NAV controls for the stereo and I'm really disappointed with the fidelity of XM, but I have no qualms with the sound of the Bose system itself.

To each his own.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:07 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, the above notes are true. You'll never find anyone happy with ANY car's stock system if that person considers themselves a true audiophile.

But you are only reading the vocal miority here - Most of us LOVE the system, no one posts to say "wow I love my stereo system". But in fact, I really REALLY love the Bose system. Mine is the 1-SB package, without NAV, so maybe that makes a difference.

I think it's fantastic, and I have no problems getting enough bass and high frequency out to make my ears bleed. Might just get a slightly more crisp high response in the 20K range if I wanted to mess with it, but really -- if you haven't heard the system yet, don't worry -- there's a 99% chance you'll be very pleased.

Last edited by bugman; 05-26-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:12 AM
zapman123
Instructor

the bose system in my acura TL sounds twice
as good as the Bose in my my C6
why why why
Does the vette acoustic cabin suck??
Old 05-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

I would say it depends on what you want from the car. One of the reasons I like driving, is to enjoy MY music at the volume and clarity I enjoy.
I replaced all the speakers in my C5 with the exception of the rears, they are disconnected and useless anyway.
But retained the stock HU to keep the stealth look.
The difference between my "Fixed" C5 and the C6 is amazing. The sound stage in my C5 actually exists, where there wasn't one in the C6.
In the C5, I can hear subtle instruments that add to the quality of the song I am listening to. In the C6 they don't even exist.
The sound stage can be improved by disconnecting the center speaker, which I did.
I will replace the cheap speakers with higher quality, but will stop at that for the moment.
So, in some aspects I agree it is not that bad, and can be improved quite easily, so why not.
For me it is much more than clear crisp volume, I want a soundstage, and hear everything the band plays, that does not exist with the stock Blose.
My C5 with an 8" sub has a vastly improved bass over the C6. The C6 bass is muddy, not clear and crisp.
IMO, someone engineered the bass to be punchy so it vibrates your car.... that's not good bass.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:56 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default How come then on some Corvettes the doors in the speaker say BOSE on them and on

some other Corvettes there is no BOSE letters on the door speakers? Aren't all the stereos that come with the Corvette standard and optional all made by BOSE?

Get notified of new replies

To BOSE Sound System

Old 05-26-2005, 04:00 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MGL MILL
Navigating through the posts, I have found that most people aren't very happy with the BOSE sound system in the Corvette. I can't understand why that is. Not too long ago, I took a C6 for a test drive and turned the radio all the way up and it was crystal clear. Even with the top and windows down, it was as clear as a bell and there was no static what so ever.

I have grown up always hearing about how "great" BOSE is and how it is the most premium sound systems of all. How can it be though that most are unsatisified with it? Even the "Monsoon" system in my Firebird doesn't even hold a candle to how excellent the BOSE sounds in the 'Vette. Would someone please care to expand on what's wrong with the BOSE and why it is being replaced by other manufacturer's speakers?

Thanks,
MGL MILL
There's nothing wrong with the *volume* the stock system can achieve. But loud is not the same thing as good. A premium stereo system should be high fidelity, which the Bose definitely is not, and it should deliver an accurate stereo image, called soundstage, which the Bose system most definitely does not.

High fidelity requires a sound system to reproduce sound exactly the way the source material was recorded. Every frequency should be present in exactly the same proportion as the original performance. There should be no frequencies which are accentuated, and none that are attenuated. In technical terms, this is called a flat frequency response. The Bose in our cars has far from a flat frequency response.

An accurate stereo soundstage means that each instrument and each performer should appear in exactly the same spatial relationship as they were when the performance was recorded. If the lead guitarist was stage left, the sound of his instrument should come from stage left, if the bass player was stage right, the sound of his instrument should come from stage right, if the drummer was rear center, the sound of his drum set should come from rear center, if the vocalist was stage front center, his voice should come from stage front center. Etc. The sound of the instruments should not wander side to side or front to back with changes in frequency or amplitude.

The Bose system in our cars doesn't even approach an accurate soundstage. The dash center speaker is mixed mono, both rear speakers are mixed mono, and none of them are flat frequency response. All that grossly distorts and muddies the soundstage of the recording. At best, the Bose in our cars simulates the sound of a nice clock radio on the night table. In no way is it a "premium" stereo sound system.

Note that there are two main schools of thought about high fidelity stereo sound systems. One says the system should give you a "you are there" feeling. In other words, that you imagine you are in the concert hall, in a good seat, enjoying the performance. The other school of thought is what I'd call the "they are here" feeling. In other words, you get the impression that the performers are actually in the space with you, ie in your living room, or in the case of a car, on your dashboard. I tend toward the latter school of thought, but either is a valid view, and some types of music are subjectively more pleasing one way, and some the other. Unfortunately, Bose chose something else altogether that is pleasing to neither school's view of high fidelity stereo.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:07 AM
Island Arch
Intermediate

There is no such thing as a true high fidelity system in a car. The automobile interior environment is much too noisy and there is not enough space [volume] for the full range of frequencies to be recreated. Having said that, with enough equalization a "car stereo" can be made to be listenable, for the news or a talking head.
It's a Corvette! Drive the car. Turn off the ac, put the windows and top down and listen to the real music from the engine, gearbox and tires on the road.
Just MHO
Old 05-26-2005, 05:05 AM
Eddy C
Pro

I'm not very knowledgeable about what makes a good sound system, but like everyone else I know what I like and what to me sounds a cut above and provides a higher level of enjoyment. My wife's Mark Levinson in her Lexus is such a system. A few years ago she had an MR2 and I had a fairly inexpensive Alpine unit installed and a couple upgraded speakers and the sound was fantastic. The Bose system is good and it's not what the car is about, but there is nothing remotely thrilling about it. The fact Bose has a good reputation for quality in the market, obviously did not prevent them from providing cheap and poorer quality speakers to GM. The sound system I've chosen to upgrade to is Borla. Can't wait till they arrive.

Quick Reply: BOSE Sound System