C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM & Quality Still Don't Belong in 1 sentence :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 01:29 AM
tfenton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM & Quality Still Don't Belong in 1 sentence :(

Had 2 terrific weeks with my new C6 conv. Now, I'm experiencing why I went to shifted to BMW 10yrs ago. My power top started malfunctioning 2 days ago. Now, I find that it's just dead. Unfortunately, it gave out halfway through the closing procedure. Now, I'm stuck. Read the owners manual and there's a great picture of the motor unit for the top. Look beneath the hood and it's nowhere in site. Argghh.

My cup holder is now showing sizeable gaps in the center console and you can see the glue that once held it together. Very nice. I think Road & Track mentioned that the build quality was closer to a Cobalt vs a Cadillac. Perhaps they're right.

I once called the z28 a bucket of bolts on a rocket. I dearly hope that my C6 is not in the same category.

I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow. Perhaps drive there at 5 mph with a half open top.

I've had 4 BMWs (all M's) without a problem. I'll be driving my '04 M3 this weekend ....

If anyone has had problems with the power top and can offer some pointers before my one man parade to the dealer please let me know.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:59 AM
OttoNP
Racer

If you compare BMW 3-series with a GM cavalier, a GM silverado, a GM Devillle in JD power for long term, it performs less than them in overall durability and feature durability and ties in the other areas. You have to choose 2000 because that is the latest year when the long term tests have been completed....

I have had zero problems with 2001 Silverado, 2005 C6, 1997 Bonneville, 1988 Bonneville while everyone that I know that has every had a BMW has been plagued with issues...
Old 05-07-2005, 03:16 AM
Mocoso
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 330i has had 9 window regulators break and the last two out of warranty. They making it out of cheap brittle plastic and charge you $400 to replace with the part cost being $250. BMW quality in my opinion is the same or lower then on my C6.

Sorry to hear about your rag top though.. check your owners manual as I think there is a way to manually activate the top
Old 05-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

I've often wondered, just for fun, about the quality of the cars of our youth. Would there have been many recalls of the so-and-so vehicle, (h is silent), that we lusted after? Compared to them, our C6's are like driving a scientific instrument.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:09 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

I owned an '02 M3 and I loved the car but I'd be the first to admit that it had serious quality issues. For example I had a blown engine after 8K miles. If in a couple of years someone does a quality comparison between the first three model years of a C6 and E46 M3, I'll be putting my money on the C6.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:19 AM
archtop
Drifting

"Its the Supercar you can fix with a hammer" Jay Leno. Get some ducktape and superglue she'll be good as new.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:54 AM
rjktech
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 46 Posts

I love my C6, but it is not in the same league as far as tightness of fit with BMW. After seven years in my M3 there was not a single creak, snap, crackle or pop inside the vehicle from moving & flexing interior body parts. The C6 does have a few.

I think the difference is that BMW accounts for such movement by coating interior parts that will be tightly fit together with a thin layer of soft material where they join together.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:57 AM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Sell it and buy another BMW then...
Old 05-07-2005, 10:15 AM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vettnutt
I agree ....These cars are on differant ends of the spectrum...I have owned around 25 new GM cars and trucks in the last 30years and could count all of the minor problems I have had on one hand....The power top is a first run unit with about 30 moving parts . and electrical switches...Why do you think it was in quality control for so long.........Have you taken time to read the manual and a release function ??

Last edited by juiceman03070; 05-07-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:19 AM
vette4speed
Advanced

Check for a blown fuse.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:21 AM
2bubbas
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettnutt
Exactly!
Old 05-07-2005, 10:25 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regradless of the problems encountered and brought to our attention on this forum, the C6 is still the best combintion of power, performance, and pulchritude available (I like alliteration.)

But, it is not built to the reliability standards of Japanese manufactured automobiles.

Therefore, maximize your value and minimize your grief, and save a few bucks in the process, by forgoing some of the power options and gimmicks that you know are just ticking time bombs waiting to explode now or, more likely, the day your warranty expires.

The convertible with a manual roof and the 1SA package is about as foolproof a combo as you're going to find and I defy anyone to honestly state that they would have any less fun cruising with the top down on that version than they would with a fully loaded power-topped 1SB.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:48 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tfenton
Now, I'm experiencing why I went to shifted to BMW 10yrs ago.
I've had 4 BMWs (all M's) without a problem. I'll be driving my '04 M3 this weekend ....
That's funny, apparently you haven't been spending too much time over on the BMW and Mercedes (cars supposedly well known for their quality and workmanship and of course priced accordingly) boards over the last 4 years....BMW 7 series and early E46 M3 motors? Mercedes ML series (among others)?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:50 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree with virtually every thing said so far........but, the fact remains that this guy should NOT have this happen ( the power top failure ) this early in his ownership.................there have been numerous production issues with the top system and that in itself is mind boggling because a convertible power top is NOT some new high tech gizmo...........they have been around for quite a while. If you pay the big bucks for the option then you have a right to expect quality (IMHO)
Old 05-07-2005, 10:51 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
Therefore, maximize your value and minimize your grief, and save a few bucks in the process, by forgoing some of the power options and gimmicks that you know are just ticking time bombs waiting to explode now or, more likely, the day your warranty expires.
The convertible with a manual roof and the 1SA package is about as foolproof a combo as you're going to find and I defy anyone to honestly state that they would have any less fun cruising with the top down on that version than they would with a fully loaded power-topped 1SB.
A power top really has little or no place on a Corvette anyway (I know it was also optional WAY back in the day), save that for the XLRs and Chrysler Sebrings and I also agree with the less is more concept.
1SX for the coupe and 1SA for the 'vert is the way to go.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:53 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

But, it is not built to the reliability standards of Japanese manufactured automobiles.
They'll blow away the BMW too.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:16 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've got a '57 with a power top and it still works!!!

Get notified of new replies

To GM & Quality Still Don't Belong in 1 sentence :(

Old 05-07-2005, 11:20 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regradless of the problems encountered and brought to our attention on this forum, the C6 is still the best combintion of power, performance, and pulchritude available (I like alliteration.)

GM Quality is an oxymoron Quality and profit in GM Business Culture don't mix because in the short term profit mentality mode, quality costs money.

The more gee-wiz stuff you have, the more problems you open your self to, period-no matter who makes the stuff because boo boo just happens.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:29 AM
jgraditor
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I have all the toys, and if I have to repair them under warranty, oh well, I'll still enjoy the ride to the repair shop.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:45 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tfenton
GM & Quality Still Don't Belong in 1 sentence
Well, actually they do. What exactly is quality?
People are all ranting and raving about Honda this or BMW that but tell me, do any of these companies offer you a car that can run a mid 12 second quarter mile, go nearly 190mph, get nearly 30mpg, stop and corner like a race car while maintaining street comfort/amenities and look that good while doing it ALL for under $44k? NO, they can't, and they don't.
Performance quality, styling quality, value quality. NO ONE else has yet to EVER match it all in one package.
That IS quality my friend.
You can keep your fine Connolly hide interior and consistently perfect 5 millimeter wide door gap claims, this is a WORLD CLASS level high performance sports car at a budget price and it gets the job done every time.
If you're looking for that Pebble Beach wine and cheese sniffing BS go spend $150k on something else, this is a freaking MAN'S (and women's ) car!

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
GM Quality is an oxymoron
See above.

Quick Reply: GM & Quality Still Don't Belong in 1 sentence :(