C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How safe is the C6 in a crash??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How safe is the C6 in a crash??

I have wondered about How safe is the C6 in a crash? What are the stats of the c6 in a crash? I have tried to find the stats on line. I hope I will never have to find out for real.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:46 PM
CaptainMike
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's much safer than my Harley which I chose to ride with NO helmet because it's my God given right!.... regardless of how much the Democrats think they need to protect me from myself....... Enjoy your toy and don't worry about it.......
Old 05-04-2005, 03:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Doesn't it depend on what you hit or what hits you?

Type of collision? Fiberglass is flammable but I believe these new Corvettes are not made of fiberglass anymore??
Old 05-04-2005, 03:04 PM
msspain
Instructor

I hope I do not fin out!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Daylon
Pro

Don't crash!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:17 PM
oneldybug
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaptainMike
It's much safer than my Harley which I chose to ride with NO helmet because it's my God given right!.... regardless of how much the Democrats think they need to protect me from myself....... Enjoy your toy and don't worry about it.......

Life is too short not to enjoy the wonderful things in life - like your 'Vette! Relax, quit worrying, & have fun with it!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:42 PM
chris36053
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Type of collision? Fiberglass is flammable but I believe these new Corvettes are not made of fiberglass anymore??
The new cars are made of SMC (sheet molded compound ?). I'm not sure how flamable it is. I know they make Waverunners and other small boats out of it. I once saw a waverunner that was made of SMC burn and the hull held up pretty good. Does anyone else have any info on SMC ?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:53 PM
MMartin
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

buy a volvo, and crash with confindence
Old 05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Two words my boy, buy plastic

Hopefully, your door will open when you push the button and if not, that you remember the safety release-assuming you are aware enough to do either-else you're burning baby while the boys in the helmets are try to get the doors open.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:59 PM
DebtCraft
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
I have wondered about How safe is the C6 in a crash? What are the stats of the c6 in a crash? I have tried to find the stats on line. I hope I will never have to find out for real.
To my knowledge, there haven't been any major orgs that have released the crash data yet. Chevy certainly doesn't tout its crash safety in the sales literature.

I think if you wreck your C6 at a decent speed, you stand a pretty good chance of being poured out of the wreckage, that is, if you don't burn alive in it.

Then again, that's half the fun of it. Just don't tell my wife.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Tropical'67
Drifting

Old 05-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Just guessing, but I'm sure it's safer than the C5 with improved technology and airbags. It actually costs less to insure than the older C5! BTW, the C5 holds up like a champ - see my website if you don't believe me

www.exoticvette.com
(don't forget to vote for the site if you stop by please!)
Old 05-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Mag Red C-6
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

C5's actually had very good Injury and Collision ratings as compared to other vehicles. It stands to reason C6's will also have good ratings too. The C5 has a 44 Injury rating as compared to the average vehicle rating of 100. For Collision the C5 has a 61 rating.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Silk
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMartin
That made my day!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:25 PM
digicom1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMartin
Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 416 Likes on 288 Posts

Gulp....
Old 05-04-2005, 09:03 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

It's much safer than my Harley which I chose to ride with NO helmet.... regardless of how much the Democrats think they need to protect me from myself
Hope you don't crash because the same Republicans that let you ride without a helmet block the stem cell research that could fix your brain if you do.

Get notified of new replies

To How safe is the C6 in a crash??

Old 05-04-2005, 09:32 PM
iblumberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
Hope you don't crash because the same Republicans that let you ride without a helmet block the stem cell research that could fix your brain if you do.
Also, if you crash with no helmet, please don't ask the government funded ambulance to pick you up.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:51 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

You can go to StateFarm.com and see that all of their rating for the new C6 are good. That's why the insurance is so reasonable.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:45 AM
lehew
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

During the 80's and 90's car safety engineering focused mainly on making cars safer during a crash. we have seatbelts, airbags, energy absorbing zones and reinforcement of the passenger compartment at strategic places. Corvette has benefitted from all of this. Cars in general are much safer than they were.

Today, safety engineering is focused more on systems that help us avoid accidents -- anti-lock braking, transaction control, active handling, and others. Again Corvette includes these features.

The fact is, though, that most things that make cars safer also add weight. Indeed, other things being equal, heavier vehicles generally fare better in wrecks, so sports cars inevitably involve some tradeoffs.

If safety in a crash is your main concern, you should not buy a sports car.

Warning...digression ahead...

We all hear the phrase, "nothing is more precious than human life." It sounds nice, but it is simply not true. 20,000 people die in traffic accidents in the US each year. If we really believed that human life was more precious than human convenience, we would insist that speed limits were lowered to say 40 miles per hour. This would, without doubt, save many lives.

We could require that automobile drivers wear helmets. Many states require helmets for motorcycles drivers. It would certainly make car drivers safer as well. If not, why do race car drivers wear them?

We make decisions each day that are tantamount to putting our lives at increased risk in return for convenience, speed, money, and a host of other things. If you choose to drive anything other than a Volvo or a Mercedes sedan, you are increasing the risk to your life and that of anyone who rides with you.

In fact, with all this talk about crashes, I think I better stay home today.

Quick Reply: How safe is the C6 in a crash??