C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 or C6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 08:33 AM
FOXMO
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09

Default C5 or C6?

C5 or C6?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several months ago, I posted the question on this board about whether or not to purchase a C5 as a daily driver. As expected, I received overwhelming approval from everyone. (The only one who didn't approve, at the time, was my wife. She has relented!!) Because I have two (2) daughters graduating from college in about a month, we wanted to wait before we got serious about purchasing a new car. My new question is this: Assuming I can still get a very low mileage, warranteed '03 or '04, should I go for a C5 or should I start looking for a C6? I know I need to drive both (I've already driven an '03), but I am looking for impressions from those of you who have driven both the C5 and the C6. This will be my first Corvette, although not my first sports car. My present toy is a 1980 Mercedes 450SL, but it's not my daily beater. I will be selling off a couple cars when the girls get home from college and get out on their own, by the end of the summer. The Vette will be my daily driver, so I am looking for some input from those in the know. I love my rag-top when the weather is nice, but I am not sure I want one for every day use (wind and road noise when the top is up, and weather, rain, snow, sun damage to the soft top.) Because of that, I am leaning towards a coupe. But, right now, I'm just looking for info from the learned. Thanks in advance for your assistance
Old 04-11-2005, 09:05 AM
ss409cid
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too was thinking of buying a low mileage C5. I have a 25th Anny and I was opting for a nice 50th Anny. C5s are great cars, but once I got a close up look at a C6, it was love at first sight. After driving the C6, I doubled my Corvette budget and ordered a new one. My C6 Vert is quiet, no wind noise., drives and handles like nothing else. The coupe is a beauty also. I dont think you can go wrong with either a C5 or C6, but the C6 is the best of everything. Looks, performance and quality......My opinion......
Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 AM
BIGGGIE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Same Here...Was Looking at a Z06 2003 Black On Black...9,000 Miles for 30,000 ....But When i Drove the C6 i Said 25,000 More i Get the Baddest Vette They HAve ever Made..=) Changed my mind Quick...!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The C6 is generally a better car all around than the C5.

So, if you can get past the looks, get the C6.

One other thing to consider (from rag-top to rag-top) -- I persoanlly like sitting inside the car, and not in the trunk.

You're MB 450 SL doesn't give you that feeling right now, nor does my C5 convertible. To my knowledge, no high end sports car gives you that expanse of **** carpet directly behind you -- even the coupe models.

So, if you don't want to be that intimate with your luggage, ice scraper, and spare bottle of Zaino, you may want to consider a C6 convertible just for that reason, or even the C6 hardtop.

Wait, they don't make a C6 hardtop.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:50 AM
VITIS
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18,'19-'20

As always, the same general rule for buying Vettes applies: buy the newest that you can afford.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:18 AM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

In my mind, there are only two reasons to buy a C5 over a C6.

One, the difference in price (and the monthly payment) is a big issue. Two, you really prefer the C5 styling over the C6.

I test drove a C5 for a day while I was waiting for my C6 to be delivered. Let me tell you, there is no comparison between the two. That's not to say that there's not a C5 that's been modified and can easily put a C6 on the trailer, but stock vs. stock, there's been too many improvements made in the C6.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Need 4 Speed
Pro

I too am comparing the 2 as well..I have never bought a vette because I really hate the gay pop-up head lights..The body of the C5 is fine but I can't get past the lights..now I love the C6 all around and am trying to come up with the $..If I can swing it then I'm going C6 all the way..If not then I guess I have to settle for a C5.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:45 AM
NoThugs
Instructor

I too, was looking at buying a C5. My wife told me to check out the C6, because she didn't want me to regret not trying the latest and greatest. After we both took a test drive there was no question about it, we had to have the C6.
The C5 is a great car, but if you are comparing the two the C6 is going to win you over.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:55 AM
VetVetter
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I got my first Vette exactly one year ago ... waited all my life until I could still live in a house and afford the car ... yesterday I traded it in for a 2005 C6 ... should have listened to my wife a year ago and waited .... absolutely no comparison.

If you were racing one, I would say purchase the cheaper one because you would be putting all your cash into mods. If you are driving all the time on the street ... C6 all the way!
Old 04-11-2005, 12:15 PM
John George
Melting Slicks

Location: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies. --Bokonon
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'07

Originally Posted by ein Tier
but stock vs. stock, there's been too many improvements made in the C6.
I agree. I had a C5 coupe for 5 years. A C6 coupe for 6 months. The C6 is simply a much better car. The more I drive it, the more I am impressed. I took delivery last September, so I paid list, which you can likely avoid now. I was selling my C5 so it was a guess as to whether to sell it at the end of the C5 production and pay list for a C6 or wait for C6 price reductions and likely get less for the C5.

Just drive the 2 cars in the same suspension and the difference will be obvious.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Tropical'67
Drifting

Originally Posted by VITIS
As always, the same general rule for buying Vettes applies: buy the newest that you can afford.
I agree. If one thinks they would be happy with a C5, '04's with low miles can be had in the $30's. I expect C6's to hold their value much longer.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I owned five C5's over the years and loved each one. After owning a C6, I would not want to go back to owning a C5 as great as they were. The difference between the two is dramatic.

Frank
Old 04-11-2005, 12:50 PM
ASZ2222
Melting Slicks

I recently sold my low mileasge C5 vert when I got my new C6 vert. I've had the new car almost four weeks. I loved my C5 but I have to tell you the C6 is significantly better. The C6 rides and handles better and it is much more quiet since they sealed off the trunk space from the passenger compartment. The indexing windows also help. It is just all around a better car. So, if price isn't an issue I would definately go for the C6. It's worth every penny. P.S.- you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

My next door neighboor had a loaner C6 Z51 coupe to use while his 50th C5 was getting body repair work done from a parking lot incident. He had the C6 for a week. He was initally impressed with the car, but after a week with it, not so much that he would trade up. For a daily driver, it was hard to tell a difference.

I think it matters what you prefer, especially the styling. The first time I saw a C6 coming at me, I thought it was a Honda S2000. Didn't realize it was the new Vette until I saw the profile as it went by. That is my problem with the styling of the C6, it's not that distintive as compared to the C5, looks too much like a lot of other cars on the road. However, you instantly know a C5 is a Vette when it is coming at you, or from any angle for that matter. So I believe it really depends on what you want in and from a car, and how you feel when you are in it. IMHO.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:06 PM
kca009
Racer

Both very classy cars. You can't go wrong with either one but if you have the money get the C6. I had an 03, got a great deal on a 04 Vert, now just traded that in for a C6. I finally feel I have my dream car, but it's all personal. I've enjoyed each and every moment in all of the cars.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 4 C5s and they here great for there time. C6 is all round improvement over them.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:13 PM
U2bassAce
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

I got the urge to buy a Vette. Went to a dealer that had advertised a 50 Anniversary Vert with only a 200 miles on it. Took it out for a test drive and liked it.

Then I looked in the corner of the showroom and saw a C6 Daytona Orange Coup. Where the C5 took me a few years to get to like the new styling. The C6 was love at first site.

Now if it would only be accepted by GM!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 or C6?

Old 04-11-2005, 05:57 PM
canadian
Advanced

I agree with many of the comments above regarding the improvements to the C6.

I did the comparisson on my C5 vert and C6 vert the other day. Was debating keeping the C5 but after driving one then the other I don't see the point in keeping the C5 as if I had my choice (and i do), I would always take the C6.

That said, I still have not been able to bring myself to sell the C5!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:59 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Already answered this in C5 ZO6...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:33 PM
bjmcphee
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I drove a C5 as my daily driver for over 4 years, and I now have a C6 which is my daily driver, for the past 4 months...

I enjoy the C6 more. Overall it is a better ride for the money.

I have a coupe, I like to get to my storage area easily, and I can get the feel of a vert with the top off. Although, I find the top a little more difficult to deal with versus my C5 top... but it is something I will get used to now that I have warmer weather...

Quick Reply: C5 or C6?