C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Fuel System - Fuel Gauge Dies

Old 04-09-2005, 12:37 AM
DebtCraft
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Fuel System - Fuel Gauge Dies

I just filled up my tank this evening and got back into the car and started it up only to get a "Service Fuel System" warning in the DIC and the fuel gauge wouldn't go above empty.

I checked the fuel cap, etc, and restarted the car about 4 times and the fuel gauge eventually started at mid-full, where it was at when I started fueling, and then started moving up to full at about 1/10th of the gauge per 10 seconds. Within a minute, it was full and the warning was gone.

Anyone else had this happen?
Old 04-09-2005, 12:50 AM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing (700 miles on the car) happen. It was the Fuel Guage Sending Unit. It was replaced and all is well. I did switch to a Top Tier gasoline.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:56 AM
DebtCraft
Racer

Originally Posted by DP Dave
I had the same thing (700 miles on the car) happen. It was the Fuel Guage Sending Unit. It was replaced and all is well. I did switch to a Top Tier gasoline.

Aw, ****!! I'm at 1400 miles and my car has been perfect! I was hoping that I was going to get lucky and get a perfect car, like my old Lexus. Alas, it isn't a Lexus I'm afraid.

I'm going to wait for the gauge to take a complete cr#p before I brave the GM service gauntlet. Wish me luck.

Thank you for the response!
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (04-07-2023)
Old 04-09-2005, 01:07 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by DebtCraft
I just filled up my tank this evening and got back into the car and started it up only to get a "Service Fuel System" warning in the DIC and the fuel gauge wouldn't go above empty.

I checked the fuel cap, etc, and restarted the car about 4 times and the fuel gauge eventually started at mid-full, where it was at when I started fueling, and then started moving up to full at about 1/10th of the gauge per 10 seconds. Within a minute, it was full and the warning was gone.

Anyone else had this happen?
Happened to my C6 last september, under 1000 miles. Its caused by sulphur compounds in gasoline fouling the fuel gauge sending unit. If the computer sees any erratic readings it sends the gauge to "E" as a warning. I cured mine with GM Fuel System Cleaner (which is TECHRON, made by Chevron) and using only Top Tier Gasoline. But this hasn't worked for everybody. GM is supposed to release a Service Bulletin in May with part numbers for new fuel sender cards that are more resistant to contamination. Sending units that have been replaced prior to then are the same as original. (The bulletin will be to replace the cards only, not the whole sending unit).
I've had no further problem in 6500 miles.

...OR, it could have just been a loose gas cap issue...did you have the ignition on while the gas cap was off?

Last edited by ZL-1; 04-09-2005 at 01:13 AM.
LS WON (04-07-2023)
Old 04-09-2005, 01:11 AM
digbyamb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About once per month I respond to a "Service Fuel System" thread here in the forum. Here is the deal:

1) This has nothing to do with the quality of the gas.
2) This is a well know issue to GM and they have issued a service bulletin to their dealers.
3) These failures are due to a faulty Fuel Sensor Unit (FSU).

When you take your car to the dealer, do NOT let him remove the tank to check the FSU, they can do that with the tank still installed. Once they have verified it is a faulty FSU, they can order a new one. If they remove the tank before ordering the FSU, your car will sit on their hoist with the tank on the floor for up to a week waiting for a new FSU... I learned this the hard way.

Mine was replaced at 250 miles, I now have 3000 miles and no further problems.

Good luck.
LS WON (04-07-2023)
Old 04-09-2005, 01:25 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by digbyamb
About once per month I respond to a "Service Fuel System" thread here in the forum. Here is the deal:

1) This has nothing to do with the quality of the gas.
2) This is a well know issue to GM and they have issued a service bulletin to their dealers.
3) These failures are due to a faulty Fuel Sensor Unit (FSU).

When you take your car to the dealer, do NOT let him remove the tank to check the FSU, they can do that with the tank still installed. Once they have verified it is a faulty FSU, they can order a new one. If they remove the tank before ordering the FSU, your car will sit on their hoist with the tank on the floor for up to a week waiting for a new FSU... I learned this the hard way.

Mine was replaced at 250 miles, I now have 3000 miles and no further problems.

Good luck.
I too have seen many posts on various forums. I'm starting to see a pattern: Almost every one reported seems to be at low miles, yours and mine included. I wonder if something in the manufacturing process or left in the fuel system during assembly is affecting the FSU's? Nobody seems to have a problem after the FSU is replaced with an new one of same design. I think the reason the cleaner worked for me but not for others is because I added it to a near-full tank and let it sit for a week and soak instead of running through a tank of gas in a few days.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:38 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

High sulphur gas. Had 5 sending units changed in my C5's before I switched gas. Just switched to the cheap stuff this week, having a hard time justfying 3.05 a gallon so will wait for the fuel gauge problem. You can change all the sending units you want but it's the sulfur in the gas.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:53 AM
digbyamb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
High sulphur gas. Had 5 sending units changed in my C5's before I switched gas. Just switched to the cheap stuff this week, having a hard time justfying 3.05 a gallon so will wait for the fuel gauge problem. You can change all the sending units you want but it's the sulfur in the gas.

I am unsure about the C5 problems but the C6 issues have NOTHING to do with high sulpher gas. My unit failed at its first fill-up. This is totally due to a bad batch of FSUs.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:57 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by digbyamb
I am unsure about the C5 problems but the C6 issues have NOTHING to do with high sulpher gas. My unit failed at its first fill-up. This is totally due to a bad batch of FSUs.
So did my 02 on the way home from the dealer but it was the gas. Every time I used a certain gas it would fail. After replacing the unit I then went for months no problem, went back to the questionable gas and wa la, 50 miles and gauge went emty. C6 has the same design.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:29 AM
TEAShea
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A service bulletin has been released - on March 29. The new part should be available in May.

TEAShea
Old 04-09-2005, 10:40 AM
vrodder64
Racer

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your guage. I'm hoping I can dodge the Fuel Sending Unit bug-a-boo.

Not that it matters but, I had the same issue with one of my bikes, the V-Rod. It is a known issue with that model of Harley. After reading posts about FSU's in bikes and cars I'm getting the feeling that it's more common a problem than I thought.

I'd schedule the fix at the time you take the beast in for an oil change.

Most of the time I rely on the tripometer or distance to empty guage to check my fuel level.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Convert14
Pro

Below is my post from last Saturday, same thing happened. TEAShea also suggested the FSU may be bad. I unscrewed the gas cap and put it back on and haven;t had a problem since. I am not convinced this was the fix and am watching this closely. This is happening to many other members as well. Probably the FSU and I am waiting for the service bulletin to come out so I understand this a little better.

Great drive today. Left San Diego, after filling up with Chevron 91, north to Orange County. Then down the coast through Newport and Laguna Beach. Back to Highway 5 to the Ortega Highway. Over the top of the mountain and back to San Diego. About 200 miles. Car ran great, lots of waves as we saw about 5 or 6 C6's.

On the way back home the Service Fuel System indicator kept coming on and the Fuel gauge would register empty then come back to life and register correct fuel level and the Service Fuel System would disappear from the DIC. When I got home I recycled the fuel cap in case I didn't secure it properly in the morning. Weather was between 74 and 82 degrees with a 3,000 foot climb (or whatever the elevation is on the summit of Orteg Highway).

Any ideas what is going on. 6,257 miles on the ODO.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:22 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

The car is upward of $50K, can't GM solve this problem My C5 was plagged with erratic fuel readings due bad fuel sending units (FSU). I thought this problem will be resolved with the C6. BTW what sulfur content, and how come only the C5/C6 have that problem, my other two cars which cost less have FSU without this problem.
LS WON (04-07-2023)
Old 04-09-2005, 12:42 PM
CorvettePartsBob
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HERE IS THE LATEST BULLETIN FROM GM ON THIS PROBLEM!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SERVICE - ALL CHEVROLET & CADILLAC DEALERS

Subject: 2002-2005 Chevrolet Corvette and 2004-2005 Cadillac XLR Fuel Gauge Is Erratic
Message #: VSS20050445

2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette and 2004-2005 Cadillac XLR (Y-Body) Fuel Gauge is Erratic

General Motors is in the process of redesigning the fuel tank sending units in both of the subject vehicles. A new part number has been released but it is not yet in stock. Some dealers have attempted to order the new parts 88967315 or 7316 and they have been told that the parts are not yet available. The new parts have an improved ink coating which will provide improved resistance to fuel contamination and correct fuel sender over travel which is the primary cause for the fuel gauge being erratic. Fuel Modules should not be replaced for complaints of erratic fuel gauge. The fuel sender card is the only part required.

Until the new fuel sender cards are available, the 2004 card is available and can be used. Part number 10310028 left side and 10310103 for the right side will operate in all 2002 through 2005 applications. However it does not have the improved ink path. In cases where a customer insists on a replacement part, the 2004 part can be used although it is the same part that is currently in their car. Availability is expected by the end of April. A bulletin will be released with correct part numbers as soon as the parts become available.

BOB
LS WON (04-07-2023)
Old 04-09-2005, 01:03 PM
DebtCraft
Racer

Thank you Bob!

The thing is working again on my car after just driving it a bit, but I'm going to make sure that I reset a trip odometer with every fill just in case.

Hopefully, this will be available by my first oil change.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:08 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

This is what is in the tanks.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Convert14
Pro

Yikes!

CorvettePartsBob, thanks for the update.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Fuel System - Fuel Gauge Dies

Old 04-09-2005, 02:45 PM
vrodder64
Racer

Yikers!

PUT IT BACK IN THE TANK BEFORE IT EATS SOMEONE!!!!
Old 04-09-2005, 03:24 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Never had the fuel sending unit problem with my C5 or my C6 now with 8,000 miles on her. I only use the good stuff: Sunoco 94 Ultra gasoline.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:30 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Boy that is a bad luck process!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Fuel System - Fuel Gauge Dies