C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-6 front license plate revisited...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 07:23 PM
denson1932
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-6 front license plate revisited...

I took the ugly front holder and flipped it 180 and put it in the recess of the grille opening (slanted)... It actually fits and i think it looks good... I painted it and the license plate frame and hdwe just a shade darker than the body color (mag red).
If someone would tell me how to post pixs i have them to show; also pixs of my C-5 Indy vert clone... i cant see your pixs unless they are part of the thread; there is just a small square with a red "X"; i am on our corp. net and really restrictive as to what is sent/received....
Old 04-05-2005, 07:29 PM
CaptainMike
Pro

Go to the help section.....that is the main topic there....and then show us that pic....I'd like to see what you did there....
Old 04-05-2005, 07:30 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Keep an eye on your temp gage! Thats the reason the plate is above the opening.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:02 PM
lemansbc6
Instructor

id like to see your new configuration...get those pics up!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Vette346
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by curvesman
Keep an eye on your temp gage! Thats the reason the plate is above the opening.
I wonder the same thing as to how badly it would affect the airflow into the engine. In VA the front tags are required, but we don't have them on the C5, and will not have them on our C6. We've had the C5 for three years and havent had to pay a fine yet. Personally I'd rather pay the occasional fine than ruin the front end of a beautiful car
Old 04-06-2005, 08:11 AM
denson1932
Cruising

Default RE front lic plate

I am in SD where the HP are PICKY; stopped coupe of year ago with my new firebird; he is doing 55 in PASSING lane and i come up doing 75 in driving lane; went by him and he pulls me over for no front tag...i think he was just envious... i dont handle BS traffic stops very well so i would be better off just avoiding the situation. I can easily take the front plate off in other states; especially if i am in a heat wave. Will stay late after work and try to post pixs...
Old 04-06-2005, 10:41 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

I have yet to see a really good way to attach a front plate to a C6. Any installation directly in front of the radiator does risk blocking airflow, something which may or may not create a problem. Low mounting looks better than a nose mount, but not by much.

I'm with the majority on this....I keep my front plate securely mounted in a rear storage bin. I haven't been stopped yet. If that happens I may have to consider some of those undesireable options.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:33 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I did. If there's nothing below the lettering, you can probably trim off 1 to 1.5 inches of white space on the plate so that it doesn't hang down into the open grille area.

Mike
Old 04-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Z-51
Burning Brakes

Default I live in Md also

I just not going to not put that dam thing on . I just deal with the tickets

UOTE=mikeyc6]This is what I did. If there's nothing below the lettering, you can probably trim off 1 to 1.5 inches of white space on the plate so that it doesn't hang down into the open grille area.

Mike[/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-2005, 04:26 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Default Tacky Plate

[QUOTE=C6 8MyCash]I just not going to not put that dam thing on . I just deal with the tickets
I'm not going to say the plate is tacky,, but

I think it would be easier to pay the fine,, than explain...
Old 04-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Mike in IA
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Running w/o plate now.
Wondering if there is a way to put the plate in front of grille but to one side- so that it almost touches the fog light. Less grille covered than center mounted in grille = less restriction?

Thinking about putting some soft material or double-sided tape on the back of my body colored mount (got this "free" as part of my deal), and then drilling some holes in the mount to run wire, etc. through and tie it to the grille or something.

Some people don't like off-center mountings. I'm thinking this would be better than GM's solution.

Comments?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:32 PM
barney
Racer

I mounted mine behind the grill in the center, there is know difference in engine temp.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:52 PM
TexasTechZ06
Racer

Default Check out my sig

4 suction cups and LEGAL!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:59 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTechZ06
4 suction cups and LEGAL!
Hmmm, I may give that a try...
Old 04-06-2005, 09:10 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
This is what I did. If there's nothing below the lettering, you can probably trim off 1 to 1.5 inches of white space on the plate so that it doesn't hang down into the open grille area.

Mike
Why didnt you paint the black frame red????
Old 04-06-2005, 09:21 PM
smook
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GUYS, GUYS, GUYS...

NO PLATES in the front.

WHEN STOPPED YOU SAY, Just detailed the car and taking it home.
It goes on when I get home. (ya, right!)

WORKS EVERYTIME.

-Bill.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:55 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by smook
GUYS, GUYS, GUYS...

NO PLATES in the front.

WHEN STOPPED YOU SAY, Just detailed the car and taking it home.
It goes on when I get home. (ya, right!)

WORKS EVERYTIME.

-Bill.
That's not the point. By that time, you've already been stopped and inconvenienced. I don't need the hassle of being stopped in the first place. I have better things to do than trying to explain away my illegal ventures to cops.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To C-6 front license plate revisited...

Old 04-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
This is what I did. If there's nothing below the lettering, you can probably trim off 1 to 1.5 inches of white space on the plate so that it doesn't hang down into the open grille area.Mike
----------------------

Great idea. I had already been thinking about doing the same thing, trimming the plate down as much as possible. Most cops / meter maid would not even notice. But trimming a good inch or more off the plate will surely reduce its "loudness".

I think if you use one of the custom color matched plate holders (who sells those again?), and then trim your plate down as much as possible, it can make a pretty big difference... helps the plate to "blend in" more. Of course it will never truly blend in, but, if you must put it on, it'll make it as good as it can be.

Mounting the plate down low in front of the grille also helps to reduce the "presence" of the plate, but I am not so thrilled with the idea of placing the plate in front of the radiator like that. I know some members have reported no increase in engine coolant temperatures running plates in front of the radiator, but... in a hot climate, over the life of the vehicle, it may make a difference. Something under the hood or underneath may run 5 degrees warmer than otherwise, just more stress... not sure if it's worth the risk.

When mounting the plate in front of the radiator, as well as the plate "blocking" the radiator, it also may have other aerodynamic negatives too. It might cause some unusual flow at high speeds that could cause a partial "cancellation" of airflow through the radiator, etc.

I saw this program once on the designing of the Harley V-Rod. When they were almost done with the design, they road tested the bike and it kept overheating. The radiator appeared to be large and unrestricted. However, they later determined that there was some weird unpredictable type aerodynamic issue taking place due to the design of the front fender, forks etc that essentially caused very poor flow through the radiator. You'd never think it by just looking at it... it looked fine. They had to go through a good degree of work and hassle to redesign some of the parts to correct the problem. (This is according to my rusty recollection of this V-Rod program.)

Point is, minor changes in design can greatly effect aerodynamic properties. Mounting a plate in a spot that was not originally intended could potentially cause more trouble than one would initially think. Then again it might not cause any trouble at all!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:55 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Front plates are ugly!! Not 4 me!!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 Alternate Front License Plate Bracket

I was doing some net surfing on the Vette Magazine website and came across a topic on the Vette Mag Message Board that ya'll might like.

Here is the message paraphrased;
I have an answer or option for you if you don't like the C6 License plate that attachés to the nose of the Vette. I have manufactured first bunch of mounting plates. I have started production and will be able to ship now.

How to Attach:
I attached mine using Velcro however you can use double back tape or screws. The bracket has pre-drilled holes for mounting and a direction sheet will come with it. It has rubber moldings behind the bracket so that it does not touch or rub any surface. It attached behind the lower bumper and you can't see any mount points.

Contact via email shopman1@hotmail.com if interested.

*Disclaimer; I have no affiliation with shopman1, nor have heard any reviews of this C6 Alternate Front License Plate Bracket designed by this individual. I just thought my C6 Enthusiast brothers & sisters might like the info.

Last edited by Cary; 04-07-2005 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: C-6 front license plate revisited...