C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks Forum. My take on LMB Vert (Power) etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Beakmeister
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Forum. My take on LMB Vert (Power) etc.

First and most importantly, Thanks! to all contributing members of the Forum, for making the wait exciting and informative.

I have been reading and contributing to the forum since late last year (under my old alias, Beakmeistr) and I just got my first Corvette on March 21. What a way to kick in the spring!

My Spec Sheet
19U: LeMans Blue Metallic
1YY67: Convertible
1SB: Option Package
MN6: Transmission
363: Steel Gray Interior
41T: Black Top
CM7: Power Top
F55: Magnetic Selective Ride Control
U2K: XM Satellite Radio
YF5: CA Emissions
VK3: Front License Plate Frame
R9U: Autobook Identifier (learn to use the search function :-))

To Whom It May Concern: Following are my thoughts on everything I can think of regarding this car including options I didn’t even order. If you are on the fence, and you want just one more opinion, then I hope it can help. I contribute this for submittal to the longest post award.

For comparison purposes note that I am trading up from a 1998 Camaro Z28 (LS1). The only 2 cars on my “short list” were the Corvette and the Maserati Spyder.

Rule Number 1. Get what you want.

Color:
Exterior: I got 19U LeMans Blue. Doesn’t seem like anybody likes it “a little”. They either like it “a lot” or they don’t care for it. I would have preferred a blue closer to the Maserati Blu Nettuno which is what LMB looks like at dusk. My second choice for available color was the Mag Red. But conveniently, I didn’t have to settle. See rule number 1. I am getting used to the thought of having to wash the car more frequently than my old white car.
Interior: Gray looks sharp with the blue. I like the Cashmere in general, but the gray is a better match and I expect it to wear better (this car is a daily driver, you see).
Top: Black is the only current option. I used to think it was the only proper color for a top until I saw a blue/blue on the Jaguar XK and the Maserati Spyder. I would have picked blue if it was available.

Convertible: A long time ago I paid a bunch of money for a car with a moonroof, and then found that the noise/sun ratio was not worth it. Then I bought the Camaro with a convertible top, worried if I would choose not to use that too. I cycled that top so much I got a free top and motor under warranty. As expected, I’ve had the Corvette less than two weeks, we have had two days of rain, and the top has been down about half a dozen times.

Power Top: I was as much looking for luxury in my car as I was power, and a lack of power top was a deal killer. For lack of this option, I would have bought the Maserati. So far though, I am not thrilled. Top operation takes over twice as long as the Camaro, and the parking brake must be set on the Corvette. After all that, I wouldn’t change my ultimate decision. I don’t like having to get in and out and in again. BTW: I would enjoy seeing a video of any of the few who claim they can drop the top on the manual from inside the vehicle.

Transmission: Manual for me. Even as a daily driver in Los Angeles, I enjoy blipping and downshifting (haven’t learned to double clutch yet, but I never had trouble with the syncros in my Camaro, so there). Then again, I don’t get stuck in traffic very often.
Regarding placing the car in reverse during shut down: Not a problem. I have been practicing using Reverse instead of second (I used to have a pull-out stereo. Figure it out.) all winter. Now it’s second nature .

Option Package: 1SB was required for the Power top. As noted earlier, this car was as much about luxury as power, so there was no arm twisting here.
Auto-dimming mirrors: I seem to like these better than I though I would.
HUD: So Cool! I love having my speedo RIGHT THERE. Helps to keep me from speeding. I can tune the radio without looking away from the road. I don’t have to look away to check to see if I left my flashers going. The lateral G-force is nifty, but I leave the HUD in street mode. Gotta remember to scan the rest of the gauges though.
Heated Seats: Not so much for LA. But it will be great after a long cold day flagging in Willow Springs.
HomeLink: My garage remote didn’t attach so good to the thin visors, so this is good.
Compass: eh
Memory Seats: after I let my friends sit in it, I just reset the seat to my position.
Power telescoping steering wheel: Useful since seating position is so critical in this car (more on that later).
Upgraded Stereo: I like the sound quality just fine. The auto-volume doesn’t work well. It is fine with the top up. I have to raise the volume manually with the top down and at speed. I thought this was supposed to have a sensor to adjust for ambient noise. Maybe mine is broke.
6 Disk CD: Well, I just have one disk in there right now (Heavy Metal movie soundtrack), but then I have XM.

F55 Magnetic Ride: It is hard for me to tell the difference between settings. Tour mode is firmer than the Camaro. I was hoping for it to be truly cushy. But the car is so darn light, what do you have to work with? Anyhow, my wife was happy and comfortable on our weekend cruise through Palos Verdes. Sport setting is what I expected. If I did this over, I don’t think I would pay for this option until they tune it better.

XM: I have been enjoying this and I will subscribe, though for popular music, I prefer the Sirius programming. I would NOT install an aftermarket system. No detail, just note the radio, computer, and alarm are all connected, ok? The BODY COLORED antenna nipple does not look bad at all. It does catch my eye (not in a good way) when I am looking for traffic (top down) in my right blind spot.

Front License Plate: I live in California where it is required, so I got one - in the trunk. I will wait for a ticket and then get one of those frames that mounts lower. I don’t intend to race so I am not so worried about aero or engine cooling.

That’s it for the options I got. Now my take on those I didn’t.
OnStar: If the car breaks down, I will hoof the 1/8th mile to the nearest call box. Long trips with my wife, she has a cell phone, and we have AAA. Not value added for me.
Navigation: I am too **** to leave the house without Mapquest directions in hand for anyplace unfamiliar.
Museum Delivery: I live in California. If that is not enough, then refer to Rule Number 1. I would totally do this if I lived within 1000 miles of BG.
Polished Wheels: There was too much controversy about the luster. I thought the markup was unreal. The regular wheels look great on the blue car. Haven’t seen the competition gray ones.
Z51: I am not going to race it. I bought the convertible and am not going to race. I wanted the Mag ride package, and I am not going to race. Why is this an issue?

Some thoughts about standard features (some may be 1SA on coupes) and other stuff.
Side Air Bags: I always wonder if these would have saved my dad . I am glad to have them.
Dual zone climate: Mostly just me in there. But I said I like luxury features, right?
Keyless Access: It takes a while to get used to not looking for the key. But I love it.
DIC: This is so useful, I don’t know how I ever lived without. Seriously. I could write a page about all the features available here. I won’t.
Run Flats: Maybe this is the problem with the ride. Anyway, I think they are a great way to save the weight of a spare.
Trunk: Some people want a pull handle on the inside. I would prefer a plastic trim lip similar to that on the door to avoid scratching the paint when closing.
Steering Wheel: Its big and funny shaped to provide perfect visibility for all them gauges. Then it perfectly blocks all the controls for the HUD and DIC. Lean and peer. Soon those will be memorized.
Shifting into First Gear: Sometimes it just don’t want to go. Same problem on my Camaro. Then someone explained exactly what is going on in the transmission and it all made sense. Shift into first just as you roll to a stop. Or spin up the transmission using the engine in neutral by simply releasing the clutch, then push the clutch back in and put it in gear. Do it quick for best results but don’t force it.
1-4 Skip Shift: It’s on the Camaro too. I figure if I am shifting like the proverbial little old lady, its my fault when it activates. Drive harder or spend 20 bucks? I choose driving harder.
Fuel economy: 12 mpg on the first tank. All city miles. And I am being gentle for the first 500 miles.
# miles at delivery: 4 before I signed the paperwork.

The decision:
I love the Maserati. It is gorgeous. It has a power top. It has a luxurious interior. It has more power (than the C5). It is more prestigious (read expensive). It is Italian, and has a Ferrari engine that sounds AMAZING. I dreamt that I could see my car on the line whilst on a tour of their factory in Modena (I did visit the factory last year). And then came the C6 making life difficult. The only two irredeemable faults were erased. They put in a power top. They spruced up the inside. Did I mention the C6 is more powerful, much lighter, and gets way better fuel economy for a few bucks less money. Darn my engineering background. Now I have to figure out where what to do with the extra 40 large.

The deal:
Based on information gleaned from THIS site, I called my dealer (Delillo Chevrolet in Orange County, CA) and said I wanted to pay MSRP + Tax + License + $0. He said, ‘for a repeat customer, sure’. Haggling out of the way, I sent my spec sheet. He said I was number 5 on their list of verts. Number 2 on the list of Power top verts. When the Vert orders were being taken (Oct/Nov?), I got a call saying I could get my order in if I dropped the Power option. Not for me, I can wait. What a wait it turned out to be. I pinged this site every day just to stay sane. My $2,500 deposit was accepted in February. TPW was accurate for March 7. The longest wait seemed to be between when he called on the 10th with my VIN and when I took delivery on March 21.

What I don’t like:
Not much. But my expectations were through the roof, and I am an engineer, so I tend to nit-pick.
Seating Position and Visibility: Top Up, Get real, It’s a vert. In any case, it is hard to see stoplights and such with the low brow of the windshield (and I am only 5’9”). The price of style. For best forward visibility I have my seat lowered as much as possible and then reclined some too so there the telescoping steering wheel helps. But then I am so low I have trouble seeing short vehicles under the high bulges over the rear wheels. Then the only thing to do is drive faster before changing lanes
Headlights: They are bright and well delineated. That’s good. But the body is so stiff, that when going over bumps, it looks like the headlights bounce up and down (it’s really the car). I’ll get used to it.

What I like:
I like a lot. Much of this can be found in the joy of operating a luxurious vehicle with the options detailed above. For driving, it is a dream. It is tight. The clutch, the gear shift, the steering, the power delivery are all excellent. I love the torque. I am still within the 500 mile break in period, so I have not really let loose, but I can tell, driving at just 50%, that I will not be disappointed. I love the extra wells in the trunk. I hold my First Aid Kit and Jumper Cables (for helping others) in one. I love the giant C6 emblem on the material INSIDE the hood of the car. Okay, I like the attention too.

If you read all this, thanks! Hope you enjoyed it.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:17 AM
snailpace
Drifting

Great write up but the operation of the top was missed. Is it smooth or noisy they say you can drop it under 15mph. I had a 1969 conv. You most definitely could drop the top in at most 30 seconds at a light you just had to get out or almost stand on the seat to close the lid.

Raising you had to get out that part suxxed.

congrats!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:55 AM
antoniopaolo
Drifting

Great writeup. Thanks for taking the time to share your point of view.
Sounds like you are having a great time. Me too.
Best of luck. Keep smilin.

antoniopaolo
Old 04-01-2005, 06:53 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

This is a great Forum!
Old 04-01-2005, 07:31 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 416 Likes on 288 Posts

WOW- I know you can type!!!! Grats!!
Old 04-01-2005, 07:36 AM
nikovette
Burning Brakes

Nice write-up. A few comments.

Top. I think it is possible to drop the manual top from inside the car. However, you would have to have excellent shoulder mobility (which I haven't). Had GM seen fit to position the tonneau cover release switch almost anywhere else, this might have been easier. I don't see how it would ever be possible to put the top up from inside the car, as once it it raised, you have to get out to close the cover. I like black tops anyway, so these constraints didn't bother me.

I'm surprised you only got 12 mpg - even around town.

The navigation system - while not perfect - beats getting, printing and reading Mapquest directions any day of the week, and its integration with the HUD is really neat. I'm surprised you passed on that one.

Polished wheels. The markup IS unreal. But they seem to have worked the kinks out of those, and I love them with the MR exterior (look good on LMB also).

F55. You're not the first to post that the difference between settings is barely noticable. I love the Z51, even if I don't take it on the track, and I'm very pleased with that decision.

XM. Agreed. I use it way more than I thought, possibly because you can't (yet) get a CD changer with the Nav system.

Convertible. It's the bomb. Just getting into some beautiful weather here in central FL and the top has hardly been up the past few days

Glad you're happy with your decision. In the end, that's all that matters
Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 AM
ss409cid
Melting Slicks

Nice write up, congrats....
Old 04-01-2005, 09:14 AM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by snailpace
Great write up but the operation of the top was missed. Is it smooth or noisy they say you can drop it under 15mph. I had a 1969 conv. You most definitely could drop the top in at most 30 seconds at a light you just had to get out or almost stand on the seat to close the lid.

Raising you had to get out that part suxxed.

congrats!

Quiet, but VERY herky jerky. Yeah, under 15 MPH with the parking brake on? NOT!!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For a lengthy post, you sure kept it pretty terse!

There are many members of this forum who can afford a more expensive car. The fact that they chose the C6 speaks for itself.

When you hit 6500 on mile 501 and you hear some loud pounding, don't worry, it's just your heart getting some cardio!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Cruising

Great post, very nice to hear your thoughts and impressions. I hope to join you soon in my LMB vette (although coupe with cashmere interior).

Jim
Old 04-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

Great write up and post.

Thanks for your comments

Click for Elite Engineering
Old 04-01-2005, 02:00 PM
snailpace
Drifting

Originally Posted by steve miller
Quiet, but VERY herky jerky. Yeah, under 15 MPH with the parking brake on? NOT!!!!

Oh they didnt do it. The read was-- you will be able to drop the top at speeds under 15 mph. It was a topic posted before --I thought it was kewl and a reason to get the power top.

Pulling away from golf course with top dropping, I saw meself doing it when I read that post. I do it in my 72 impala all the time. Dang darn fiddlestick poo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must take to stereo shop and adjust for one click then when I do get her'. Unless like the 500sl -----the engine must be off! Then the old manual will be purchased

Get notified of new replies

To Thanks Forum. My take on LMB Vert (Power) etc.

Quick Reply: Thanks Forum. My take on LMB Vert (Power) etc.