C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Message to GM Management

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 PM
sacramentobuoy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Message to GM Management

Today GM announced that the roof was falling in. In my little world, maybe I can point out some small details, that when multiplied by thousands of consumers, could be one of the many of GM's problems.

I have researched the C6 until I'm blue in the face. I'm an old fart and getting cranky in my golden years, I am also very particular. I almost ordered a C6 awhile back and then thought better of it. I have decided to wait until the 2006 models come out. And if my issues are not taken care of in 2006, I'll move on. What is my problem with the C6 that prevents me from buying one? Very minor, but a big enough issue to keep me from spending $50k plus.

The ugly XM satellite antenna, and no decent provision for a front license plate. I have a Delphi satellite radio in my car with an antenna the size of a 50 cent piece. It work just fine on the dash.

With most cities putting in red light camera's to catch red light runners, they rely on front and rear license plates to nab these people. This is a multi-million dollar operation for cash strapped governments. Do you think they are going to allow cars to run around without a front license plate? I'm not going to glue a license plate on the front end of any C6 I own. To build the car without this provision is just one example of the downward spiral of GM. Hopefully the overall decline in business they are getting is a wakeup call for the entire corporation. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:28 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It is worth noting that Coblat owners get a 4 yr/50K milage warranty on their 'NOT TOP OF THE HILL' vehicle while you still screw Vette owners....It would also be nice to be treated like I spent 55K on a car when I head into the service department and not like some azz you have to find a fancy we can't help you excuse for..

Todd
Old 03-16-2005, 02:09 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Better Think Twice

Thousands of words have been written about the XM WART...Dont order the damn thing....Hundreds of people have given my C6 a complete ,examination and not one has even mentioned it ...The only ones bothered by it seem to be a handful of Corvette Gurus that need something to complain about....IMHO.....Retro a Delphi...play a cd whatever.....plate bracket....That might be a real issue.....So its down to the plate bracket for your real excuse as to not buy one of the best performance cars in the world........Keep sitting on the porch and watch your life go by...........NOT ME.....
Old 03-16-2005, 02:11 PM
hoobedda
Instructor

I hear ya brother...the license plate thing is an issue here in VA. I guess I'm going to wait until I get a ticket before I try the adhesive license plate bracket. Even than, I still might not do it. Does anyone have any data on how well the current bracket stays put if installed correctly?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Safety Car

I'm pretty sure most car manufacturers with XM or Sirius have an external antenna. Again, as mentioned earlier, it is an option and is optional to you (based on your .02).
Old 03-16-2005, 02:16 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
It is worth noting that Coblat owners get a 4 yr/50K milage warranty on their 'NOT TOP OF THE HILL' vehicle while you still screw Vette owners....It would also be nice to be treated like I spent 55K on a car when I head into the service department and not like some azz you have to find a fancy we can't help you excuse for..

Todd
My C6 has a certified Vette tech assigned to it....Everything that is done to it is performed by him!!!Alot of the negative comments seem to come from peole who dont own them.....IMHO.....
Old 03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They will be fixing XM antenna. Don't see them doing anything as far as the front plate. You are all welcome to move to Indiana. We don't have front plates.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:25 PM
MikeySoft
Burning Brakes

Default Yea...

Much as I'd like to have stayed with my GM Position, I got stopped out of the stock yesterday. Even with the 6% dividend I'm afraid there is more pain on the horizon for GM Stock.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:27 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're an old fart now, how old are you going to be when someone finally designs a car with every single aspect made the way you want it?

Life is full of compromises. Don't order the XM, ignore it, paint it, whatever. There are a few alternatives to a front plate if you want to run one. Everyone who has ever owned a car is going to have a pet peeve or two, and everyone's pet peeve(s) will be different. Overlook the little stuff and enjoy the greatness of the C6.

Mike
Old 03-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Sierramadre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the XM radio antenna and it doesn't bother me. I also live in a state that doesn't require a front license plate although THAT would bother me.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:59 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Originally Posted by sacramentobuoy
Today GM announced that the roof was falling in. In my little world, maybe I can point out some small details, that when multiplied by thousands of consumers, could be one of the many of GM's problems.

I have researched the C6 until I'm blue in the face. I'm an old fart and getting cranky in my golden years, I am also very particular. I almost ordered a C6 awhile back and then thought better of it. I have decided to wait until the 2006 models come out. And if my issues are not taken care of in 2006, I'll move on. What is my problem with the C6 that prevents me from buying one? Very minor, but a big enough issue to keep me from spending $50k plus.

The ugly XM satellite antenna, and no decent provision for a front license plate. I have a Delphi satellite radio in my car with an antenna the size of a 50 cent piece. It work just fine on the dash.

With most cities putting in red light camera's to catch red light runners, they rely on front and rear license plates to nab these people. This is a multi-million dollar operation for cash strapped governments. Do you think they are going to allow cars to run around without a front license plate? I'm not going to glue a license plate on the front end of any C6 I own. To build the car without this provision is just one example of the downward spiral of GM. Hopefully the overall decline in business they are getting is a wakeup call for the entire corporation. Just my 2 cents.
No offense, but if you're letting either of those get in the way, then you must not want a C6 very badly. You've got a Delphi Roady... Ok, so you've got XM.... The antenna will be hidden in 06' anyway.... Front plate? What front plate?

"We don' need no stinkin' front plate..."

Lots of us have C6s and live in states that mandate a front plate, and most of us run without a front plate anyway... Just keep it in the car incase you get stopped...

Old fart...? Depends on you're point of view... I'm a 50 something, but certainly don't feel like an "old fart"... In fact, every time I slip my C6 on, I feel like an 18 year old...

Like I said, if that's all that's stopping you, you must not want one very badly...
Old 03-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Z-51
Burning Brakes

Default Wow such a long list of serious problems

I do not think the antenna is bad looking. Now the front license plate is ugly. I did not put it on my car and will pay the tickets if needed. Face it a front plate is dog ugly on all cars. Now after reading your long list of serious problems, this tells me this car is not for you. This is my first Vette; I was always in German cars. But when I saw the C6 and had a chance to drive one ,I had to have that car. I love the way it looks, could it be better? yes, is it a problem ? hell no because for 55k I’m getting the biggest bang for my buck and I have one of the best looking sports car on the road. Do I hear an AMEN?

Old 03-16-2005, 03:04 PM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by juiceman03070
Thousands of words have been written about the XM WART...Dont order the damn thing....Hundreds of people have given my C6 a complete ,examination and not one has even mentioned it ...The only ones bothered by it seem to be a handful of Corvette Gurus that need something to complain about....IMHO.....Retro a Delphi...play a cd whatever.....plate bracket....That might be a real issue.....So its down to the plate bracket for your real excuse as to not buy one of the best performance cars in the world........Keep sitting on the porch and watch your life go by...........NOT ME.....

Old 03-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The rumors are that the XM antenna will be in the outside mirrors next year. There are several aftermarket companies offering alternate ways to mount the front license plate.

When I saw the first pictures of the XM antenna on a C6, I was appalled. Of course, all those pictures were taken from a few inches to a foot away to make it look even worse. I've got the XM radio and I don't even notice the antenna. Of the 25-30 people who have commented on my car, not a one has said ANYTHING about the antenna, either good or bad.

It's up to you how strongly you feel about those 2 issues, but if you continue to let them keep you from getting one, you're really missing a great car.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:10 PM
63C663
Instructor

AMEN to that!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:21 PM
JJayzX
Racer

In RI we need front plate but I'll see how long I can go without it cause I don't want to kill the looks and like they said before the antenna should be in mirrors so one less thing to whine about.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:24 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Message to GM Management

Old 03-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

.....And if my issues are not taken care of in 2006, I'll move on. .....
You should move on now because only the XM antenna will change. That will be mounted, hidden, in both outside mirrors.

Early GM wind tunnel test pictures show the front plate mounted as it is now, so it wasn't an afterthought. They won't be changing that anytime soon.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:33 PM
shopman1
Pro

I was worried that you came up with a real problem. Myself, I dont have XM, and I put the lower plate on the C6, and it looks OK, and much better than putting it on the top of the bumber!

You got to love it, it's a great car man!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:04 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by jazzlove
No offense, but if you're letting either of those get in the way, then you must not want a C6 very badly. You've got a Delphi Roady... Ok, so you've got XM.... The antenna will be hidden in 06' anyway.... Front plate? What front plate?

"We don' need no stinkin' front plate..."

Lots of us have C6s and live in states that mandate a front plate, and most of us run without a front plate anyway... Just keep it in the car incase you get stopped...

Old fart...? Depends on you're point of view... I'm a 50 something, but certainly don't feel like an "old fart"... In fact, every time I slip my C6 on, I feel like an 18 year old...

Like I said, if that's all that's stopping you, you must not want one very badly...

I feel the same way about the XM antenna, so I ordered my vert without it, installed an XM commander, put the small antenna behind the passanger seat works great....... No front plate in Fla, No state income tax either

Quick Reply: Message to GM Management