C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose sound system

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 10:23 PM
dolphin2551
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose sound system

If I'm reading right the Bose sound system is a seven speaker system but what Im reading is people are replacing the speakers in the doors and the two in the back where are the other three and why aren't they replacing them? Am I missing something?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:28 PM
VettesintheRockies
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got about two hours listening to the Bose Speakers. I am not an expert, don't know enough to be critical. We had the XM going and sounded great to us. Those that are more up on systems will tell us what were missing. Just my opinion.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

The Bose system is just like the 400 horsepower. 99.9% of buyers are happy with it, and others are upgrading. Why they do just the fronts and not the backs I don't know.

BTW, I'm happy with the Bose, as are everyone else I personally know who has heard it.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dolphin2551
If I'm reading right the Bose sound system is a seven speaker system but what Im reading is people are replacing the speakers in the doors and the two in the back where are the other three and why aren't they replacing them? Am I missing something?
You have two more speakers in the bottom of the door controlled by the Blose system which makes replacement a bit more difficultwithout an interface, and a speaker up in the dash behind the defroster.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:57 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

I'm happy with mine...., I think it sounds great just the way it is!

But, some of these guys are "audiophiles". It's a disease, they just can't help it. They've just gotta' "tweak" the system. I'm sure some of them sound like those ricers the young kids drive, where you can hear the bass notes 50 meters away from the car!
Old 03-04-2005, 02:02 AM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Originally Posted by jazzlove
...But, some of these guys are "audiophiles". It's a disease, they just can't help it. They've just gotta' "tweak" the system. I'm sure some of them sound like those ricers the young kids drive, where you can hear the bass notes 50 meters away from the car!
HEY! I resemble that remark!
Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphin2551
The Bose system has 2 speakers in each door, a 3.5 and a 10. There's another small speaker in the center dash, and two more in the rear.

The main things wrong with the Bose system are poor sound stage and poor high frequency response. To cure most of the problem, you just need to replace the 3.5 inch speakers in each door with speakers that actually have tweeters (Eclipse works) and disconnect the dash speaker to restore stereo image (easiest to disconnect the wires at the amp, so you don't have to pull the dash apart).

The huge 10 inchers in the doors can stay to provide the "thump" that the kids like. But you need something to fill in the sonic hole between where the thumpers cut off and where the mid-high speakers take over. A small powered sub is the easiest solution (Clarion works). Since the mid-lows are non-directional, one sub will suffice. Put it wherever you like in the rear cargo area. Drive it from the point where you disconnected the center dash speaker. Power it from a switched source of power (the power seat fuse is a good place).

You could go a lot more elaborate, but those simple inexpensive changes will improve the sound enough to satisfy all but the most "golden eared" audiophiles.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:48 AM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

I am that 99.9% happy with Bose on C-6, CD's sound outstanding
Old 03-04-2005, 05:14 AM
Eddy C
Pro

I am happy with it...for now. But I only have to drive my wife's Lexus with the Mark Levinson to realize it could be better. Music is such an important thing in a car for most of us, it only makes sense that if you can afford it and it's easily doable, why not upgrade.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 AM
tom4416
Racer

The car has a stereo?! I thought all the music came from the engine/exhaust, I'll have to check mine out - LOL.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Sierramadre
Racer

The Bose system seems fine especially when combined with the XM radio.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:43 AM
PAKev
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had Bose systems in my 94 Z-28, my 94 C4 Vert and in my C6. I'd say the C6's Bose system is by far the best...a great sounding system with plenty of power. My only complaint is the rattling in the passenger door at certain low frequencies which I'm trying to resolve.
I love this car!!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:46 AM
silverZ51
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Eddy C
I am happy with it...for now. But I only have to drive my wife's Lexus with the Mark Levinson to realize it could be better. Music is such an important thing in a car for most of us, it only makes sense that if you can afford it and it's easily doable, why not upgrade.
The stereo in my wife's Lexus SC430 absolutely blows the Bose system away, I've never heard a better sounding stock stereo system in a car. My everyday day car is a Mercedes E class with a Harmon Kardon sytem that is also better sounding to me than the Bose. But I do have to say that both of these other cars are considerably quieter inside when driving and I believe that contributes to them sounding better to me. I have a moderate degree of hearing loss from years of ear abuse and have difficulty hearing anytime the ambient background noise is high. So to me the Bose system does not sound good when I'm driving fast or on a street that cause excessive tire noise, but possibly to someone with good hearing the system probably sounds good.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Talking about 'holes' in the audio spectrum. I suspect, and I think I read, that Bose set up the system specifically for the Vettes interior environment. I would suspect that they did their homework, and did plenty of audio spectrum analyses. Except for, maybe, not enough bass, I found little lacking with the upgrade Bose. Nothing that a little equalization couldn't clear up, improve or get closer to my preference. Of course, the Bose system is not an audiophile system, but a flat audio spectrum is important for good, authentic sound reproduction. I would suspect, that by placing in just a few different (generally brighter, or more effecient) speakers, here and there, that this setup would be disrupted, somewhat. By installing louder, more efficient speakers, which may also be brighter, most listeners would believe that they have 'improved' the sound. And, I'm sure they will be happier, at least for a while. (which is, of course, important) I also believe that the new system may eventually need to be equalized back to something closer, anyway, to what Bose originally had in mind.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:04 PM
SA HEAT
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tom4416
The car has a stereo?! I thought all the music came from the engine/exhaust, I'll have to check mine out - LOL.
Me too
Old 03-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Korbo
Racer

[QUOTE=Hoonose] Except for, maybe, not enough bass, I found little lacking with the upgrade Bose. Nothing that a little equalization couldn't clear up, improve or get closer to my preference.

Many of us do not find this to be the case. And the paper speakers Bose provides without enclosure do nothing positive to change those opinions. If treble appears to be lacking and equilization is inadequate for some, then putting some inexpensive higher quality speaker replacements in the doors and rear bring far greater returns in the overall sonic field at the potential risk of disturbing what Bose considers to be the ideal I imagine (for me).
Old 03-04-2005, 01:54 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Talking about 'holes' in the audio spectrum. I suspect, and I think I read, that Bose set up the system specifically for the Vettes interior environment. I would suspect that they did their homework, and did plenty of audio spectrum analyses. Except for, maybe, not enough bass, I found little lacking with the upgrade Bose. Nothing that a little equalization couldn't clear up, improve or get closer to my preference. Of course, the Bose system is not an audiophile system, but a flat audio spectrum is important for good, authentic sound reproduction. I would suspect, that by placing in just a few different (generally brighter, or more effecient) speakers, here and there, that this setup would be disrupted, somewhat. By installing louder, more efficient speakers, which may also be brighter, most listeners would believe that they have 'improved' the sound. And, I'm sure they will be happier, at least for a while. (which is, of course, important) I also believe that the new system may eventually need to be equalized back to something closer, anyway, to what Bose originally had in mind.
A pink noise CD and a calibrated binaural microphone feeding an audio spectrum analyzer disagree with your suspicions. As Lord Kelvin said, if you can't measure a thing, assign numbers to it, your knowledge of it is of a poor and meager kind.

Get notified of new replies

To Bose sound system

Old 03-04-2005, 01:56 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

I did find the stock Bose system fine with CDs and okay with FM. Not bad at all. Having said that, I also was not overly impressed with the midrange and treble response. I like a "brighter" sound and couldn't quite get what I wanted just playing with the tone/equalization controls. I had no intention of spending big bucks on upgrading a perfectly acceptable system, but I did want to improve it if I could.

I followed Ted's suggestions and replaced the front 3.5" and rear 5.25" speakers with some inexpensive Eclipse replacements. The total cost was less then $150. There is a dramatic difference in the sound with this simple change. The midrange and treble response is much brighter and the bass response sounds much richer. I won't do anything else since this is exactly what I wanted to get out of this system. My conclusion is that while the Bose sounds pretty decent, small and inexpensive changes can be easily made that will improve the sound significantly.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:42 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StanNH
I did find the stock Bose system fine with CDs and okay with FM. Not bad at all. Having said that, I also was not overly impressed with the midrange and treble response. I like a "brighter" sound and couldn't quite get what I wanted just playing with the tone/equalization controls. I had no intention of spending big bucks on upgrading a perfectly acceptable system, but I did want to improve it if I could.

I followed Ted's suggestions and replaced the front 3.5" and rear 5.25" speakers with some inexpensive Eclipse replacements. The total cost was less then $150. There is a dramatic difference in the sound with this simple change. The midrange and treble response is much brighter and the bass response sounds much richer. I won't do anything else since this is exactly what I wanted to get out of this system. My conclusion is that while the Bose sounds pretty decent, small and inexpensive changes can be easily made that will improve the sound significantly.
Stan found the same thing I did. In essence it is a very painless upgrade. I have been listening very carefully to the system and the improvement is really good. I added the Clarion sub and that added voice to the bass with no real thump. But the speaker replacement is cheap and easy. Even if you think it is fine, the upgrade is worthwhile, it expands the range enough so you can dial it in to your liking.

There is a ton of talk about soundstage and how Bose did blah blah blah. But Bose is known for their enclosures..more sound from less...etc. IN THE C6 THERE ARE NO, NADA, ZIP ENCLOSURES. Bolt the speakers in the door like in any cheezo Geo Metro.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
A pink noise CD and a calibrated binaural microphone feeding an audio spectrum analyzer disagree with your suspicions. As Lord Kelvin said, if you can't measure a thing, assign numbers to it, your knowledge of it is of a poor and meager kind.
I was looking around for all my old audio stuff to do just that. Did you do the analysis? And, if so, what did you find? Which Bose do you have?

Quick Reply: Bose sound system