C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell Me the DISADVANTAGES of Owning A Vette

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 09:12 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once your car is off warranty the dealers rip you off horribly on service. I suggest that anyone expecting to own his Vette beyond the warranty period should buy the extended warranty.
Taking an off-warranty Vette to the dealer for service is similar to what happens when you walk into a hospital without medical insurance, i.e. you get charged the most!
I will never forget my mistake of allowing the dealer to put a new battery in my C4. Battery was $100 but they charged me one hour of labor at $130 per hour. The story was that they had to remove the body panel to get at battery. A few years later I replaced the battery myself, it took about 5 minutes to remove the panel.
Also, another ripoff is diagnostic charges, it seems that even the simplest repairs require at least a few hours of diagnosis at $130+ per hour, e.g. it took them 2 hours to diagnose a bad starter motor.
When I get my C6, the first thing I intend to do is buy a very long extended warranty at a discounted price from our dealer friend up in Montana. I really hate Chevy dealer service and even though we have a lot of Chevy dealers here in Chicago, I have yet to find one that I trust.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:13 PM
StrayCat
Advanced

Some more Disadvantages:

1) Arm gets tired from waving at all the nice folks you'll meet on the road.

2) 2-seater Vette only has room for 1 Hot Babe at a time... they get cranky when they have to take turns..

3) Your "dirty car pain threshold" gets re-calibrated much much lower.

4) You can't believe it's really YOUR car and wander around parking lots aimlessly until you remember, yes it is..

5) You have to buy all kinds of other stuff, such as Corvette clothing, model cars, books, mods, etc. Your wallet gets thinner and your house gets smaller from storing all that stuff!

Seriously, I bought my first Vette, a 1990, in 97, and said to myself, "Why didn't I do this SOONER!"

save the wave
Old 02-17-2005, 09:30 PM
GENE HUBBARD
Advanced

There are no disadvantages.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:12 PM
REW89
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only disadvantage I have encourntered is that I get hit up for money by panhandlers, especially at Gas stations.

Bob
Old 02-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
The one big disadvantage I have is driving one of my other cars. The Corvette sort of spoils you and you don't want to drive anything else.
DING, DING, DING! Tell him what he's won Bob!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:01 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Spending more time inside your garage looking at it than anywhere else,
Old 02-18-2005, 01:11 AM
dvsvettmp
Instructor

I had one the other day. I was driving home from work minding my own business doing about 70 in the fast lane behind another car, when a truck goes blowing by me on the right screaming his engine as he passes and then pulling in front of the car ahead of me and then slowing down, trying to taunt me... I think to myself, that it would be stupid to pile up my C6 in heavy traffic on I-95 just because some pick-up truck wants the pleasure of racing my ride.. Disadvantage... Other cars drive like idiots around the C6 just to try and see what it has under the hood.... Advantage... you already know, there are few cars on the road that can match you...
Old 02-18-2005, 01:37 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Problem is too many idiots/morons/embiciles on the road

Originally Posted by dvsvettmp
I had one the other day. I was driving home from work minding my own business doing about 70 in the fast lane behind another car, when a truck goes blowing by me on the right screaming his engine as he passes and then pulling in front of the car ahead of me and then slowing down, trying to taunt me... I think to myself, that it would be stupid to pile up my C6 in heavy traffic on I-95 just because some pick-up truck wants the pleasure of racing my ride.. Disadvantage... Other cars drive like idiots around the C6 just to try and see what it has under the hood.... Advantage... you already know, there are few cars on the road that can match you...
Driving a Corvette on these public roads here makes one feel at high risk everytime you take it out for a drive (Just look at what you are driving and see what other people drive and the vehicles you are surrounded by) I need WARP Speed now!
You have to always worry about that idiot and all the other ones you are surrounded by..
Old 02-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really didn't appreciate how much people stare at you. A red Vette draws attention and I'm really not that kind of person. I just love Corvettes and I always said my first one would be red. However, once I got over having people stare at my car (they're not staring at me.....I don't get the same looks in my Oldsmobile Aurora!), I don't see any great disadvantages to owning one except with having a family. Fortunately, it's a third car for us so it's not really a problem. It's definitely a lifestyle....I love the wave!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:52 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Just get your side windows tinted dark and nobody will see you.

Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
I really didn't appreciate how much people stare at you. A red Vette draws attention and I'm really not that kind of person. I just love Corvettes and I always said my first one would be red. However, once I got over having people stare at my car (they're not staring at me.....I don't get the same looks in my Oldsmobile Aurora!), I don't see any great disadvantages to owning one except with having a family. Fortunately, it's a third car for us so it's not really a problem. It's definitely a lifestyle....I love the wave!
Old 02-18-2005, 02:43 AM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
I disadvantage is you get this sill grin on your face evey time you just look at it.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:24 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default More Disadvantages

Having to clean the rear end taillights & bumper where alot of dirt ends up on.
Spending too much time and money buying detailing products and time polishing corvette.
Another disadvantage: Don't want to drive it because It will get dirty and If I do drive it there is the constant worry that it will rain or corvette will get dirty then it is back to washing and polishing.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Downsides
With my car being kept immaculate all the time and modded with nice wheels and more, it does stand out in a crowd and I don't feel comfortable taking it too many places where I have to park it and leave it, so I don't.
This has gotten to be a real downside to owning this car.
Whenever we go to the movies or the mall or a resturant, I rarely take the Corvette BUT I wish I could. It kinda sucks living in a big Urban area. (Philadelphia PA suburbs)

There are of course many upsides to owning this car so I'll keep it.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:40 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default I know exactly how you feel. I like to leave mine in my garage with a car cover

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Downsides
With my car being kept immaculate all the time and modded with nice wheels and more, it does stand out in a crowd and I don't feel comfortable taking it too many places where I have to park it and leave it, so I don't.
This has gotten to be a real downside to owning this car.
Whenever we go to the movies or the mall or a resturant, I rarely take the Corvette BUT I wish I could. It kinda sucks living in a big Urban area. (Philadelphia PA suburbs)

There are of course many upsides to owning this car so I'll keep it.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:27 PM
poko
8th Gear

Default disadvantages??

I have to work and sleep- and that takes away from driving - I bought my c5 in December of '04 and I am hooked. I cleaned the garage out, which has never housed a car. Another disadvantage is if I want to take the boat out I have to let my fiance' drive the vette so I can use my blazer. She really needs to get her own car. I slow down at railroad tracks, look out for potholes, park way away from anything, I take the interstate to work instead of the shorter way just so I can get on it a little. It accelerates to quickly so the "feeling" doesn't last long enough before your doing well over 100mph (is that a disadvantage?)--
Old 02-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Daylon
Pro

Only if you get caught over 100!

Quick Reply: Tell Me the DISADVANTAGES of Owning A Vette