C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cancelled my Lotus Elise Order due to C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:54 PM
corvette_convert
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cancelled my Lotus Elise Order due to C6

After having been on a list for the Lotus Elise for about 14 months, I got the call saying that they were going to order 'my' car. After two days of decision making, I decided that I would rather have a C6 coupe. The Elise is an awesome car, but there are many reasons why I decided to go with the C6.

Here are the main reasons: torque, comfort, American built , servicability, torque, 400HP, NAV system (I have a horrible internal nav system), luggage space, comfort, and 400HP. I haven't test driven one yet, but I have sat in one and I am impressed. I was an import guy for a long time (I drive an S2000 right now) and would've never considered a Corvette two years ago. Chevy has done an awesome job of getting people like me (import sports car guys) into their showrooms with the C6. The interior is so much nicer than my S2000 with a lot more room.

Another benefit of going with the C6 coupe over the Elise is that I can wait a little bit for the price to come down from MSRP (or get a slightly used one). The best that I have seen is Kerbeck's $2500 off MSRP. I also have applied for a GM CC to get the $1000 from that.

So I am obviously new to the forum. From what I have read, it seems like this is a good forum with good members and tons of info. I remember when I went through a MKIV Supra phase and read their forums. Yikes ... they acted like 10 year olds. That alone turned me off from buying that car.

I saw a few members on the Elisetalk forum jump ship to the C6. There were a number of threads on that board discussing it.

CorvetteConvert
Old 02-11-2005, 12:59 PM
vrodder64
Racer

Lotus

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious

The elise has gotten aweful reviews. Why anyone would want to own a British far with a Toyota motor is beyond me.

Oh. and welcome to the family.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:01 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Welcome to the best Forum on the NET

Apparently this will be your first Vette - enjoy it
Old 02-11-2005, 01:04 PM
05C6400
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I know what you mean... I was lookin only at Euro sports cars and when the C6 came out I changed my mind! It is an awsome car!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:04 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Old 02-11-2005, 01:09 PM
corvette_convert
8th Gear

I have owned a number of sports cars, but this would be my first Vette. Here is a list of cars I have owned since college:
1996 Mazda RX-7 -- Loved this car
1998 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T -- I will hate FWD forever now
1999 Mazda Miata -- Loved this car
2002 Honda S2000 -- Like this car but not love it

As you can see, I have stuck to imports since college. I plan to keep my 1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon 5sp (with 150k miles) as my winter/hauling/beater car.

CorvetteConvert
Old 02-11-2005, 01:19 PM
tomo67
Racer

You will love a new Vette. If you think it is nice to sit in, wait until you drive it and hit the go pedal. I also like the nav system. We only have 1200 miles on our C6 but my wife and I love it. Call Monica at Maxie Price Chevrolet for a good deal. That's who I got mine from. I ordered exactly what I wanted and it took around four weeks to come in.

Good Luck and Welcome!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Z06CTSV

Originally Posted by corvette_convert
After having been on a list for the Lotus Elise for about 14 months, I got the call saying that they were going to order 'my' car. After two days of decision making, I decided that I would rather have a C6 coupe. The Elise is an awesome car, but there are many reasons why I decided to go with the C6.

Here are the main reasons: torque, comfort, American built , servicability, torque, 400HP, NAV system (I have a horrible internal nav system), luggage space, comfort, and 400HP. I haven't test driven one yet, but I have sat in one and I am impressed. I was an import guy for a long time (I drive an S2000 right now) and would've never considered a Corvette two years ago. Chevy has done an awesome job of getting people like me (import sports car guys) into their showrooms with the C6. The interior is so much nicer than my S2000 with a lot more room.

Another benefit of going with the C6 coupe over the Elise is that I can wait a little bit for the price to come down from MSRP (or get a slightly used one). The best that I have seen is Kerbeck's $2500 off MSRP. I also have applied for a GM CC to get the $1000 from that.

So I am obviously new to the forum. From what I have read, it seems like this is a good forum with good members and tons of info. I remember when I went through a MKIV Supra phase and read their forums. Yikes ... they acted like 10 year olds. That alone turned me off from buying that car.

I saw a few members on the Elisetalk forum jump ship to the C6. There were a number of threads on that board discussing it.

CorvetteConvert

I think you made a wise decision...
Old 02-11-2005, 01:25 PM
corvette_convert
8th Gear

What is the most anyone has gotten off of MSRP so far for the coupe? What deal does Maxie Price Chevrolet have on C6s?

Thanks for having me aboard.

CorvetteConvert
Old 02-11-2005, 01:26 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by AC54ME
Welcome to the best Forum on the NET
Apparently this will be your first Vette - enjoy it
You will not regret your choice!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:28 PM
DryHeat
Pro

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your ride.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:29 PM
FlyingDog
Racer

Originally Posted by 05C6400
Hey I know what you mean... I was lookin only at Euro sports cars and when the C6 came out I changed my mind! It is an awsome car!
likewise --- prior to the current generation of corvette I was only looking at Jag & Porche, but never pulled the purchase trigger over the last couple of years. however, once I saw the C6 & actually got a chance to test drive one ... well, I quickly pulled the trigger & I'm (patiently?) waiting for delivery of my car, which rolled off the line Wednesday.

looks like chevy is gonna broaden their base to many new customers with their C6.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

The March issue of Road & Track compares the Elise, Corvette and 7 other sports cars on Buttonwillow Raceway Park. The review of each car for 9 sections of the track is the best automotive test piece I've read. It should be required reading for everyone.

Congratulations on your choice and welcome to the Corvette Forum
Old 02-11-2005, 01:48 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CorvetteConvert... have you been posting over on the EliseTalk forum?
Michael
Old 02-11-2005, 01:56 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Good move. The Elise is a joke IMO. I believe there is a CF member who has one and i certainly don't mean to offend him or anyone else who likes it, but, to me, it's like looking at a Toyota MR2 while on acid. I can't believe the # of people on a list for that thing.
Yeah, it's small & light, quick & agile- but hey, so is a cockroach.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:03 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

One thing you are going to miss is the resale value, another is service departments.
But seems like corvette is a better match for what you need.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:11 PM
DigitalMan
Pro

Being a former S2000 driver... totally different driving experience... the Honda is edgy and dangerous at the limit.... the Corvette has no limit that I'm willing to find

Two of my previous rides...

I traded the S2000 for the MY Vert..

Get notified of new replies

To Cancelled my Lotus Elise Order due to C6

Old 02-11-2005, 02:22 PM
corvette_convert
8th Gear

I haven't posted over at Elisetalk in a week or two.

I get about 6 car magazines a month, so I have read all of the reviews of both the Elise and the C6. I read the R&T comparo about ten times now IMO, the Elise is an amazing car, but the C6 is more of what I want.

DigitalMan, looks like you had some of Rick's badges on your S2K. Nice.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Beach21
Racer

Default You did good!!

nother benefit of going with the C6 coupe over the Elise is that I can wait a little bit for the price to come down from MSRP (or get a slightly used one). The best that I have seen is Kerbeck's $2500 off MSRP. I also have applied for a GM CC to get the $1000 from that.

CorvetteConvert[/QUOTE]
I saw the Lotus Elise at the Miami Beach car show, the Lotus still looks like a kit car to me and I cannot imagine why someone would purchase such a primitive ride.
I should say that I once owned a Lotus Super 7 Cosworth in 1967 (I purchased it new at the the factory) and the technology I saw in the elise was the same vintage as my Super seven, in fact the super 7 Cosworth would be more desirable. Don't look back there is no comparison.
PS Kevin just informed me that my C6 vert was produced on 2/8!!!!!!!

Last edited by Beach21; 02-11-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:39 PM
DigitalMan
Pro

Originally Posted by corvette_convert

DigitalMan, looks like you had some of Rick's badges on your S2K. Nice.
Yeah ... I had a few mods.. space was the one thing I found I just really needed more... loved the quick drop top and the s2ki forum really organized well!

Quick Reply: Cancelled my Lotus Elise Order due to C6