C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Production Z06 Friday Feb 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Mike Dugan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First Production Z06 Friday Feb 4

Thursday, my son and I met at Nashville, stayed at the Country Hearth, and met the folks at the Corvette Museum early Friday morning for my Museum delivery.

Our personal tour of the plant was interrupted when our guide was informed that the first Z06 was coming down the production line. We went over to look, just as the body was about to be married to the engine, trans, rear etc assembly. It was blue.

There were scores of management people surrounding the car, taking notes, plus some assembly people who were following the car and seemed to be doing each step. They all seemed delighted when the marrage was complete, at which point we had to move along, but I wanted to pass that along to anyone who was interested.

Later on in the day, we finally drove the car out and started the trip home to Estero, Florida. My car is a Silver convertable , with Black top and interior and is fully loaded. The trip home was a blast, but hard to keep within the 500 mile guideline. Hopefully the car will forgive me.

All I can say about the car is that I have gotten used to the front end and I would just say that its a beautiful car, more taut and muscular looking than my 97 coupe. In every way its superior to my 97. Every aspect of the car seems to be better with a lot of new features.

I see a lot of talk about which suspension to order on this forum over the past 6 months and I wanted to weight in. I was nervous about ordering the Z51 transmission, but I have no regrets now. While I will never know how a standard or F55 feels, I can tell you that the Z51 feels better on the road then my '97. The car is firm, corners like it's on rails, but is comfortable and definely not harsh.

Also I love the Nav system (my first), the HUD is very cool and functional, the FOB system is a little crazy but I will get used to it. The seats are better, the interior is better, the shifter is better...

What can I say, its a great car! Full speed ahead.

Thank you all for all the help you unwittingly gave me over the past few months. It all helped me get a great automobile!

Old 02-05-2005, 05:24 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

I loved my Museum Delivery too.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Gussy913
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Mike Dugan
Thursday, my son and I met at Nashville, stayed at the Country Hearth, and met the folks at the Corvette Museum early Friday morning for my Museum delivery.

Later on in the day, we finally drove the car out and started the trip home to Estero, Florida. My car is a Silver convertable , with Black top and interior and is fully loaded. The trip home was a blast, but hard to keep within the 500 mile guideline. Hopefully the car will forgive me.

I saw your sar on the webcam in the Museum....Very nice,Good luck with it. I was getting the same car but changed it to MYellow.. to your new ride
Old 02-05-2005, 05:42 PM
ALFONSE
Burning Brakes

Default Z06

Our personal tour of the plant was interrupted when our guide was informed that the first Z06 was coming down the production line. We went over to look, just as the body was about to be married to the engine, trans, rear etc assembly. It was blue.

There were scores of management people surrounding the car, taking notes, plus some assembly people who were following the car and seemed to be doing each step. They all seemed delighted when the marrage was complete, at which point we had to move along, but I wanted to pass that along to anyone who was interested.

All I can say about the car is that I have gotten used to the front end and I would just say that its a beautiful car, more taut and muscular looking than my 97 coupe. In every way its superior to my 97. Every aspect of the car seems to be better with a lot of new features.

I see a lot of talk about which suspension to order on this forum over the past 6 months and I wanted to weight in. I was nervous about ordering the Z51 transmission, but I have no regrets now. While I will never know how a standard or F55 feels, I can tell you that the Z51 feels better on the road then my '97. The car is firm, corners like it's on rails, but is comfortable and definely not harsh.

Also I love the Nav system (my first), the HUD is very cool and functional, the FOB system is a little crazy but I will get used to it. The seats are better, the interior is better, the shifter is better...

Thank you all for all the help you unwittingly gave me over the past few months. It all helped me get a great automobile!

I believe the plant was shut down to tours the week of December 13th, they were building Z06's then. We have all seen Z06's in magazines and at Auto Shows, this could not have been the first one.
AL
Old 02-05-2005, 05:42 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Sounds like a great time
Cant wait for museum delivery too
Old 02-05-2005, 05:52 PM
nikovette
Burning Brakes

Nice. The C6 looks awesome in silver IMO

I'm just waiting for my NCM delivery date and a similar 750 mile drive home with the new baby
Old 02-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Here's wishing you may miles of smile in your new C6.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:13 PM
CharlieC6
Intermediate

Congratulations! Enjoy your ride.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

And that car, in my prediction, with it's hand-built engine, will usher in for us C6'ers, a normal 427 assembly line lower horse engine, that will become an option, ala the early 1967 427 which came in 3 versions; 390hp w/single 4bbl, 400hp w/three 2's, or435...in about 3 years.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:28 PM
sheck11
Instructor

Default NCM Delivery

Originally Posted by _Nomad_
I loved my Museum Delivery too.
Be sure to check under drivers side on the floor pan. The PDI guys signed and dated with note to the NCM delivery

I cleaned and clear coated mine to try to keep the signatures clear. Also took plenty of pics.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:40 PM
ss409cid
Melting Slicks

Congrats, I cant wait til my museum delivery.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Congrats....sounds like a great trip, enjoy your car
Old 02-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Vette Fan
Drifting

Congrats! Enjoy
Old 02-05-2005, 07:52 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ALFONSE
I believe the plant was shut down to tours the week of December 13th, they were building Z06's then. We have all seen Z06's in magazines and at Auto Shows, this could not have been the first one.
AL
He might have meant the first one for public sale...............
Old 02-05-2005, 07:53 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ALFONSE
AL
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the show cars not built on the production line? He's saying this was/may have been the first PRODUCTION Z06, meaning it was built on the line in BG along with coupes and verts as opposed to hand built in Detroit or something as many pre-production cars are.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:00 PM
racinghotroddave
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

congrats
Old 02-05-2005, 08:05 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

When you say scores of management people around the car (100s)? Did you see the z06 yourself or were you told this? Conrgrats on your new ride! Thats the color I will be getting on my new Z06!

Get notified of new replies

To First Production Z06 Friday Feb 4

Old 02-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRich
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the show cars not built on the production line? He's saying this was/may have been the first PRODUCTION Z06, meaning it was built on the line in BG along with coupes and verts as opposed to hand built in Detroit or something as many pre-production cars are.

The Z06 used for the unveiling was built at the plant the week of December 13. That was the week my vert was built. I wasn't able to go down and see it being built because the plant was closed to the public due to the Z06 being on the line.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:17 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
The Z06 used for the unveiling was built at the plant the week of December 13. That was the week my vert was built. I wasn't able to go down and see it being built because the plant was closed to the public due to the Z06 being on the line.
Now that the new Z06 has been exposed,I guess they will start building them for testing ! I would like that job testing the new Z06s!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:23 PM
ALFONSE
Burning Brakes

Default Zo6

Originally Posted by RichieRich
I was at the plant the first week on December and was told it was shut down for tours because of ZO6's. Whether they ran two or a dozen I'm not sure, if they were built in private and not on the line why would the plant tours be closed?
AL

Quick Reply: First Production Z06 Friday Feb 4