Old 11-29-2004, 02:16 AM
Terry Corp
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NW Events Coordinator

Default New Z16 Owner - any advice?

I had an '05 Vert on order. Like several of you guys, I
had an opportunity to buy a new Z16 and jumped on it. The
Vert hasn't arrived yet and I sold it to a friend.

I have had an extremely long history with Corvette ownership.
I had the good fortune to have purchased a new fuelie '62
Corvette many years ago and several new '67s in '67. This
new Z is my 16th Corvette.

I love the final year Corvettes of any model run. The '04 Zs and
Z16s are certain to be exceptional collector Corvettes in
the future. This Z16, IMHO, is the "best Vette yet" and I'm
thrilled I made the choice.

I'll be adding a CLB, a CAGS defeat and a Optima Red Top
soon. Any other advice from some of you guys who have
owned a Z or a Z16 for a while? Has anyone got a paper
template to build a rear compartment sound barrier? Anyone
with experience with an aftermarket 10 or 12 disk CD changer?

I'll be checking in with this forum frequently. I hit many
of the Corvette events on the west coast from British
Columbia to San Diego. Hope to meet up with some of
you guys along the way.....

Terry
Old 11-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot easier just to buy a partition already carpeted. One thing I'd recommend is a magnetic drain plug. Stock plug from a 5.3 Chevy/GMC truck engine works.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Terry Corp

Terry
Congrats on your decision. I did the same except I bought a 2004 black on black Z06. I almost got the Z16 but didn't like the stripes. Apparently they can be removed easily. I like the black C6, but the other colors do not hide elements of the styling that I do not appreciate. However, any of these cars is fantastic.
You did not say if you were familiar with the CAGS. If not I suggest that you get to know the new arrangement before you eliminate it. I didn't like it at first, but now I simply rev it up a bit more if I don't want it to kick in. I don't like to mess with my car unless I think it necessary. Some people have asked if changing the system voids the warranty. I do not know.
I asked about upgrading throttle bodies, Borlas, etc and was told the Z06 system was excellent as is. The options I mentioned would improve it some, but perhaps not dollar for dollar. As with the CAGS I suggest you spend time with you car, read about it and talk to people, then make up your own mind. I was told that adding the K&N system was a good idea and did so. It improves performance, and might just make the CAGS livable for you.
I asked that the 12-disc changer be installed with the purchase, but was informed it was not compatible with my Bose system. I later found out that it is possible to add the Delco although expensive ($1000).
I would recommend that you return to your dealer and get the solid mats that could cover the three depressed areas in the rear of the Z06. They are expensive ($136 for the center piece, more than $100 each for the other two) and you might get them now at costs. Too many times articles like purses and other items end up in one of the three wells after I get where I'm going.
There has been at least one recall on some if not all of the Z06s. You might ask your dealer about it.
I did install sheepskin seat covers and IMO they do give the car a luxury look inside combined with no cold or heat in the seasons.
With my black exterior I got a face mask and mirror mask which masked and it does not detract. I already had one nick before I got them. I use them for trips only.
One final word of advice. I would not mention to anyone on the C6 forum that you got the Z06. I did comparing it to a test drive of a C6 and someone accused me of being a Hyundai Elantra owner. That hurt.
Enjoy!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:53 AM
ad2435
Instructor

i would have waited a bit longer for the vert.

similar performance to the z06 with a rag top which is probably what you wanted in the first place.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Congrats on The Z16

I made the same choice, and have done a bunch of bolt on mods. The mods where done by a company called Mordern Day Muscle Car, and I have about every Mod that would not affect my warranty. They sell them Modded here in Ga.

If you have any questions about what you can do I'd confirm it with your dealer, but they did alot to mine and it is covered.

There are two recalls on it that i know of: 1. the CLB recall, on the Z it just turns off the fuel if your colum locks up. This will most likely affect your car, and may have been done. 2. A recall on washers in the suspension, this mostly affected early run Vettes. My Z16 is #69 and was not part of the recall.

To check the status of any recalls on your car just car just call your dealer and read the service manger your Vin they will be able to tell you if yours is one of the Vettes affected and wheather or not it has been done.

I had to have my cusom tune pulled out and out back in when they did the CLB recall so they recall would not knock out my tune.

I kept all my orginal parts, and opted for headers an x pipe and B&B exhuast because i like it loud Not for everyone though and as stated earlier the stock set up is excellent, its hard to improve on the Z or the Vette.

Last comment, on aftermarket Mods don't expect the advertised gains, based on the fact that you have an 04 Z. I think most comparions are from early Non-Z Vetts like a 99 FRC, thats why they claim 40 hp on an aftermarket exhuast. They added a new exhuats on a 99 FRC in a recent Vette mag and did get an excellent gain. I did something similar but di not get that much gain. Based on actual dyno results. I'm at 383 rwhp and my mods where chosen based on looks, and performance gain. But even with all the bolt on's you can do 40 to 45 actuall Hp is really all you can get.IMHO

You obviously have enjoyed many Vettes, I envy you I think you will be vary happy with this one. Don't second guess yourself all, Vettes are very cool, and unique. Many here like certain aspects of thier Vettes that others may not like as much. i.e. stripes not everyone likes them as you can see, but I do, and I also respect those who don't

Many will critize certain mods or looks, I look at it this way, I like them all (Vettes) but I bought this one and enjoy doing things to make it more unique. I'd did not buy it to please anyone but myself
Old 11-29-2004, 10:50 AM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I for one.....perhaps I'm in the minority here.....BUT I L-O-V-E the stripes which came on my Z16 and will never have any intentions to remove them. Would strongly suggest you purchase your Partition from Andys' partitions....does excellent work..bit pricey,but you receive what you pay for..!! Just enjoy your 16th Corvette to the Max...it is an awesome car and where ever I park this beauty(with the stripes)...never fails to draw a crowd admiring it......

Smiling in West Virginia........

Zeeman
Old 11-29-2004, 11:07 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman
I for one.....perhaps I'm in the minority here.....BUT I L-O-V-E the stripes which came on my Z16 and will never have any intentions to remove them. Would strongly suggest you purchase your Partition from Andys' partitions....does excellent work..bit pricey,but you receive what you pay for..!! Just enjoy your 16th Corvette to the Max...it is an awesome car and where ever I park this beauty(with the stripes)...never fails to draw a crowd admiring it......

Smiling in West Virginia........

Zeeman
I agree, the stripes are awesome! Good for at least 10 RWHP!!

Old 11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
02 batmobile
Instructor

Congrats on your purchase!!! The only advise I would add as a must is to have the 3M clear plastic installed on the front of the car. It is worth every penny in protection against rock chips. I regret not getting it installed on my Z. Enjoy your ride, sorry there is no known cure for "Permagrin" that most of us get. I just have to open the garage door and I smile from ear to ear!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Terry Corp

Terry
I'm sorry if I offended. I don't like the stripes although they do look great. It's bad enough when (not if) you are pulled over for speeding in a Corvette. The stripes are noisy and speak to the cops at a time when I wish for silence. I also acknowledge that the stripes have been scientifically proven to increase hp by about 10 - 15.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Z16Z06
Advanced

Congrats on your purchase of the Z16.. what number is yours out of the 2025 built?

I have #210 of the 2025 and i love the car.

Now to me its not a Z16 without the stripes, i mean this is BIG part of what the car is. Just cant see buying one and not showing everyone its different and its a Z16. (but i do just show my car and i dont race it) I also think 99% of the people that see you without stripping wont know what your driving, but hey if thats okay with you than thats all that matters..LOL .. guys taking stripes off cars reminds me of a friend in 1979 taking off his Z28 stripes, I told him WOW now you have a regular looking Camaro instead of having a Z28.. and WOW was he driving something zillions of other people drove and HOW different!! HAHA!! He took his off with a big heat light, what a sunburn he got.. HAHAHAHA!! these are just my thoughts on the complete Z16.

I also suggest you buy another complete sticker package and put it away for when you sell the car or to have with the car to keep.

I think if i didnt want stripes i would just buy a 2004 Lemans Blue Coupe and put mods on it to bring the horses up. But as they say its what makes us all different.. LOL

Have fun and drive safe.. laters T.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Z16Z06
Congrats on your purchase of the Z16.. what number is yours out of the 2025 built?

I have #210 of the 2025 and i love the car.

Now to me its not a Z16 without the stripes, i mean this is BIG part of what the car is. Just cant see buying one and not showing everyone its different and its a Z16. (but i do just show my car and i dont race it) I also think 99% of the people that see you without stripping wont know what your driving, but hey if thats okay with you than thats all that matters..LOL .. guys taking stripes off cars reminds me of a friend in 1979 taking off his Z28 stripes, I told him WOW now you have a regular looking Camaro instead of having a Z28.. and WOW was he driving something zillions of other people drove and HOW different!! HAHA!! He took his off with a big heat light, what a sunburn he got.. HAHAHAHA!! these are just my thoughts on the complete Z16.

I also suggest you buy another complete sticker package and put it away for when you sell the car or to have with the car to keep.

I think if i didnt want stripes i would just buy a 2004 Lemans Blue Coupe and put mods on it to bring the horses up. But as they say its what makes us all different.. LOL

Have fun and drive safe.. laters T.
I admit it, the stripes are quite ..... arresting!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles7Mitchell
I'm sorry if I offended. I don't like the stripes although they do look great. It's bad enough when (not if) you are pulled over for speeding in a Corvette. The stripes are noisy and speak to the cops at a time when I wish for silence. I also acknowledge that the stripes have been scientifically proven to increase hp by about 10 - 15.

Your comments were not offensive in the least. Everyone is intitled to thier opinion, and we often ask for peoples opinions here, I appreciate your honest opinion.

As for attracking the police, I've been ticketed in every vehicle I have owned, except the Vette, Although I admit I'm just asking for it with the exhuast and paint scheme, draws alot of attention. But they can't ticket me for looking fast
Old 11-29-2004, 03:54 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michrider
A Stock plug from a 5.3 Chevy/GMC truck engine works.
I did not realize the stock 'Vette plug was not magnetic. I threw away the drain plug from my truck YESTERDAY! (I put a fumoto oil valve on the truck.)

Oh well, my advice: Enjoy it!

Last edited by SimonStern; 11-29-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Your comments were not offensive in the least. Everyone is intitled to thier opinion, and we often ask for peoples opinions here, I appreciate your honest opinion.

As for attracking the police, I've been ticketed in every vehicle I have owned, except the Vette, Although I admit I'm just asking for it with the exhuast and paint scheme, draws alot of attention. But they can't ticket me for looking fast
Thanks, I put 153,000 on my 1994 and only got one ticket. It was my last trip and I was giving it to my daughter. I drooled over the Z16 a long time before I convinced myself that the stripe was asking for trouble. It started out $10000 over sticker and we were under sticker when the dealer wouldn't budge. I ended up with a black on black Z06$5000 under msrp last July, but came real close to paying an extra $3000 for the stripe and the exclusive club. It's a hot looking car, especially the LB color. That was part of it also. My 1994 was admiral blue and I thought a change would be nice.
Actually any Corvette speaks loudly.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:51 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Advise? Get out and drive it!

Only have done some minor mods to my Z16; intake and HID lights top my personal list of favorites.

Enjoy and congratulations!

Old 11-29-2004, 06:59 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

The previous owner of my 03 QS Z saw the 04 Z16 and ordered on as soon as he could. He traded in the 03. I came along and bought his 03 which had been pampered beyond belief. He even left on over $1600 in must have mods.

So I too have a love affair with the Z16, it put a mint nicely modded 03 Z in my garage.

Aside from the mods you listed I'd suggest a truck partition. I opted for the $99 compression fit carpeted foam partition from Ecklers. You can spend 4 times as much or make one yourself, but the results are stunning. My Z with B&B PRT's is so quiet when I'm out cruising I have to remind myself I have a Z, by taking a stab at the throttle. I remember real quick that I own a Z

Cheers

Tom
Old 11-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Fast98
Safety Car

Congrats on the Z16 I love the stripes,I bought this corvette to stand out from the rest.

Get notified of new replies

To New Z16 Owner - any advice?

Old 11-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Emmett
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Z16, I must since I traded a mint 99 mag red vert plus 20 grand for it in June.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:33 PM
sodapop
Instructor

Good luck with your new z. I have #1567 and love it.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:18 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Congrats!!!

I wouldn't bother with the battery. It was a must with my 02 but the 04's have a better battery.

Instead of the trunk covers I bought a heavy floor mat for a vert and put back there. Little extra sound proofing and still gives me a shelf for less money (looks good also).

I bought the Ecklers foam with out covering for $50 and some time this winter will cover it myself. With the extra floormat it fits very snug.

The one thing I wish I had done was to put the clear plastic on the first week I got it.

I think the 3m covering would be a good thing behind the wheels and along the rocker. The roads around here will just destroy the paint.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Z16 Owner - any advice?