Sponsored by:

[Z06] Non-Pop Up Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 11:01 AM
JimmyZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Pop Up Headlights?

Well my new non-pop up headlights have arrived, but should i put them on or send them back? I know some of you are against changing out the stock headlights. Just wondering what you are thinking about this issue? And again are they hard to install. Thanks
Old 11-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

I would defiantly go for it!
I love the look of the non-pop ups and plan on some for mine in the future.
The headlights on the new C6 are one of the few things I like better than the C5's.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:50 PM
hoogbest
Racer

Default Going for that Oriental Look are ya?

I don't understand folks who buy beautiful cars then change the exterior. I understand changing the mechanics but the origional design? I just don't get it! Of course it's your car and your choice and I'll defend your right to do whatever you want with your car but................
Old 11-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hoogbest
I don't understand folks who buy beautiful cars then change the exterior. I understand changing the mechanics but the origional design? I just don't get it! Of course it's your car and your choice and I'll defend your right to do whatever you want with your car but................

Well... some might argue that deploying airbrakes at night is not the best design.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:05 PM
GranBichus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thud
Well... some might argue that deploying airbrakes at night is not the best design.
Then you might want to look at this...

Old 11-10-2004, 03:19 PM
hoogbest
Racer

Default Thank You Gran

Three pictures are worth 3000 words!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:40 PM
JimmyZ06
Racer

What kind of headlights are they, and who sell them
Old 11-10-2004, 04:00 PM
GranBichus
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimmyZ06
What kind of headlights are they, and who sell them
I call it the 'sleepy eye' mod. The outer beams are bi-xenon 2004 Acura TL projectors with inner beams being Wal-Mart 20 bucks driving lights. Only the bi-xenon projector lights up the road: both as a low and a high beam, just like a real bi-xenon setup would work.
The setup is all custom made and as far as I know, nobody sells anything like it, but I am thinking on making some more and selling them.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:11 PM
tramminc
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

when you do let me know
Old 11-10-2004, 04:27 PM
JimmyZ06
Racer

Well you did a GREAT job
Old 11-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I used to like the non-popups before the C6 came out because they were unique. Now they seem like C6 wannabes, and our headlights will become more unique over time.

Whatever floats your boat - looks great either way.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:38 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by GranBichus
I call it the 'sleepy eye' mod. The outer beams are bi-xenon 2004 Acura TL projectors with inner beams being Wal-Mart 20 bucks driving lights. Only the bi-xenon projector lights up the road: both as a low and a high beam, just like a real bi-xenon setup would work.
The setup is all custom made and as far as I know, nobody sells anything like it, but I am thinking on making some more and selling them.
I'm all over this. I've been thinking of doing the same to my car for a long time, but I want to use the lowest profile rectangle bulbs, not unlike the WCC set up. Just like you, I don't want the headlights to open very far at all. How did you change the stop point? Was it difficult to do? Send me a PM or EM or post here - I'm happy to try out anything or be a test mule if you have different ideas.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:42 PM
BR Duke
Advanced

Shut down the lights and add SS Screens to your Brake Ducts! Good thing we don't all like the same thing or everybody would be chasing my wife. To each his own, but I would not change the headlights.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:10 PM
GranBichus
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
I'm all over this. I've been thinking of doing the same to my car for a long time, but I want to use the lowest profile rectangle bulbs, not unlike the WCC set up. Just like you, I don't want the headlights to open very far at all. How did you change the stop point? Was it difficult to do? Send me a PM or EM or post here - I'm happy to try out anything or be a test mule if you have different ideas.
Where are you located? any close to St. Louis, Missouri?
The glass thing you actually see are projectors, not bulbs. I wen't with those particular projectors because I know they have an awesome beam pattern and a very sharp cutoff line.

Here is the thread with some more info about this.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=941773

Originally Posted by BR Duke
To each his own, but I would not change the headlights.
The headlights are still 100 percent stock. I didn't cut splice or drilled a single hole or wire to make this thing work. If I wanted to go back to OEM, all I need to do is unplug and unbolt my stuff and bolt the OEM stuff right back on. But as you already said: to each his own.

cheers.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:45 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Where are you located? any close to St. Louis, Missouri?
The glass thing you actually see are projectors, not bulbs. I wen't with those particular projectors because I know they have an awesome beam pattern and a very sharp cutoff line.

Here is the thread with some more info about this.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=941773
Excellent - I'm in NE Dallas, so not very close to St. Louis, but it is part of my regular travel stops... I read the whole thread about your concerns with liability, etc. How about selling the plans to do this, or instructions on what to do instead? I'm guessing there would be some interest in this, starting with me. I know what I want to do, but really don't know enough about the inner workings of the headlight assembly to try anything myself. And I don't want to buy another setup just to mess it up! I went riding with a friend of mine recently who has a new 330i, and the lighting was awesome. That hard cut-off line of light is really something to see when you are behind the wheel. And such an improvement in visibility. Anyway, let me know if I can be of any help or try anything out, etc., etc... I know design and implementation can be hard to work through. It's what I do for a living (although in the paint industry).
Old 11-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

As I just posted in the other thread. What if I, the consumer, signed a release, stateing that you could not be held liable. I'd sign

Put me on your list of potential customers, I love the look, keeps my pop ups but gives me better lighting
Old 11-11-2004, 01:48 AM
GranBichus
Instructor

Gonzo, I think what r00t61 explained on the other thread sounds like the way to go.
BTW, I posted some pics that show more 'sleepier' headlights thanks to the reworked bracket.

Get notified of new replies

To Non-Pop Up Headlights?

Old 11-11-2004, 02:05 AM
GranBichus
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
Excellent - I'm in NE Dallas, so not very close to St. Louis, but it is part of my regular travel stops... I read the whole thread about your concerns with liability, etc. How about selling the plans to do this, or instructions on what to do instead? I'm guessing there would be some interest in this, starting with me. I know what I want to do, but really don't know enough about the inner workings of the headlight assembly to try anything myself. And I don't want to buy another setup just to mess it up! I went riding with a friend of mine recently who has a new 330i, and the lighting was awesome. That hard cut-off line of light is really something to see when you are behind the wheel. And such an improvement in visibility. Anyway, let me know if I can be of any help or try anything out, etc., etc... I know design and implementation can be hard to work through. It's what I do for a living (although in the paint industry).
Design and implementation is a real nightmare, specially a waiting nightmare... from the time you find out you need a particular piece/part/thing/tool to the time you actually have it can be really frustrating. Since I did most of the work between 8pm and 4am in the morning, all the stores that have stuff I needed were closed so I had to get really creative with stuff I had lying around or keep working on something else and get the stuff I needed next day. If something went wrong (which it did, BTW, lots of times), thats yet another day to wait... also, given the fact I get tired and I have to sleep enough some days just so I don't fall asleep at work next day, that makes for a few more days of wait time...
In a nutshell, design and implementation is a very fun thing to do but only if you're willing to accept frustration, delays and lots of problems as an integral part of the fun. Achievement can be a very rewarding feeling.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 AM
JimmyZ06
Racer

Well i am still up in the air about the headlight issue? I hold the new lights up to the car and i like the look, i think exposed headlights look better on a C5 then a C6!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Thud
Team Owner

Then you might want to look at this...

Then you might want to build me a set.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Non-Pop Up Headlights?