Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Aftermarket seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 05:34 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Put aftermarket seats in the Z...

I finally got fed up with the floppy stock seats, so I decided to go aftermarket as others have. Having just gone through the whole seat thing, I am posting this in the hope of saving someone some time.

In terms of seat selection, I considered Caravaggio, Corbeau, and Sparco. The Caravaggios are gorgeous, but I nixed them because they use the stock power rails (more on that below) and because most of the price of these Sparco-based seats goes into the leather. Caravaggio adds to them. I like leather on my couch, but I hate it in a sports car seat because it slides like crazy. So for me, a “stock” Sparco with their cloth fabric was preferable – and much cheaper. I looked at and sat in Corbeaus, whose price I was attracted to, but they are really not on par with Sparco quality.

Sparco’s adjustable seats, the Milanos or Torinos, will not work due to the width created by the seatback adjusters. There may be a way to jam them in there, but I couldn't see how, and I suspect you wind up off-axis to the pedals, Viper-style. I think the Corbeau A4 (their equivalent to the Milano) will fit because you can dis-assemble the adjuster on one side, but I did not think this was a high quality seat, as stated. What does fit are the Sparco Evo, Evo2 (wider for “bigger dudes” which includes me), Pro 2000, Corsa, and Roadster. All are fiberglass shell seats, but I would advise that you find a dealer store and try them all, because each is different. I wound up choosing a totally different seat than my original choice.

The Roadster was the one I chose. It is a street seat that is based on the race shell. What that means is it retains all the race support, but was designed to be easier to get in and out of, making it practical for everyday use. It has excellent shoulder support, and has a bit more rake than the Evos. Also, the leg bolsters on the bottom sides are not as high, which can become a real pain on a race seat if you intend to use that seat in everyday use (as in get in and out 4 times in one trip to the grocery store). Another neat feature of the Roadster is that you can remove the bottom cushions and just use the shell for track use. At that point, you are down another 2in into the seat bottom, totally sandwiched in place between the sides. It feels more like a Kirkey when used like this. However, be advised that the anti sub and side belt slots are deleted on this seat. One nice feature of this seat is the fabric, which is a nice, super-grippy velour as opposed to Sparco's "race fabric", which is inferior IMO (but probably better meets FIA flammability standards).

On the issue of mounting...I wasted a lot of time fabbing up some adapters so I could retain the stock power rails. What I discovered is that half of the floppiness in the stock seat is due to the poor design of the OEM power rails, which flex a lot when they are "perfect" and eventually rock, then fail. The rocking, which had already begun on mine, was only accentuated by the more rigid seat. The other problem was that the seat sits excessively high on the stock rails, even when mounted directly to it. Anyone over 5’11 could not safely wear a helmet. 6’0 + would not fit at all. Think about this when considering any seat that uses the stock rails.

I wound up making steel fixed mounts and now have a totally rigid seat. I also saved 24lb in the process. The alternative is to pony up $200/seat for Sparco's mounting hardware which is supposedly drop-in, but I suspect it is not that simple. A third option is the Hardbar.net product. A nice thing about light fixed rails is that it allows you to just swap the OEM seat back in when you sell the car or if you are taking a long trip. Takes no more than 30mn to do this.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TTRotary; 10-06-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Fantastic post... I have one of those cheap Corbeau Forza's that I got used on here w/ a sliding mout. I only use it at the track b/c it'd be uncumfortable for daily use. I wouldn't want a fixed seat anyway b/c when I'm driving "sporty" I like to get in the proper position, and when cruising I slide the seat all the way back (I'm 6'4"). I'd really like a set of some kind of Sparco's on sliding manual mounts. Put the price is prohibitive right now = I have no mod money
Old 10-06-2004, 06:40 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

BTW, Sleepless just informed me the Sparco mounts are fully plug'n'play, so no modding worries there.

It's just amazing how much this stuff costs.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:02 PM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC & SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Race Seat For Corvette Men?

Question:

I am 6'0" 240 lbs., 50-52 Chest, 32 Waist. I have been trying figure out which race seats to go with for months. I have been looking at everything. The custom carbon fiber Cobra seat that Motor Sport Image sells seems to be the most appealing, except for the rails. What to do?

1) Want to be able to get in and out, easily
2) Want to be able to keep the stock belts.
3) Do not want my shoulders crimped, but do want some lateral support.
4) Want to be able have adjustability on a nice seat rail.
5) Want good lateral support. So something couple of inches higher on the sides. I am using the e-brake and the door for support on the track. That is with the five point belts. Car is going one way while you are going the other. Most annoying.
6) Want to be at least one inch lower, maybe two. With my helmet on, and seat moved two notches back, I am mushed to the ceiling. I do not know how you taller guys deal with that. Must have the seat in the low rider position when racing.
7) Lighter would be nice. The carbon fiber Cobra's weigh fourteen pounds.
8) The seat has to fit in the car.

At a loss, as most as these seats seem to be target marketed to flyweight rice boys are child carrier size.

As the as average covette owner weighs about the same as I do, someone here must have found the ultimate solution.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Hmm... I'm 6'4" 225 w/ a 36" waist. At the track I fit in fine w/ my helmet on and the seat upright so my wrists rest easily on the steering wheel. I actually move the seat up so that my foot comfortably reaches the floor board under the pedals (what I learned in racing school, and what they tell you on the Corvette vid)
Old 10-06-2004, 08:15 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

I'm 5'11, 215lb, 54 chest (and proud of it), 40 waist (not so proud of it). My butt fits snugly in the Roadster, so you won't have any problem with the smaller waist. I really think it is an excellent choice due to the easy ingress egress and versatility (remove cushions to get the race seat feel). When the cushions are out, the sides of the base (the bucket, if you will) comes about 2/3 the way up my thigs, so you're really in there. Despite no cushion, it is very comfortable because the seat bottom is molded as a rounded body contour. Lumbar support is good without adjustment for the same reason. Sparco also supplies velcro attached mini-cushions for that if you need more, as well as an inflatable insert.

Agree the Cobras look cool, but don't really know about them and they are too rich for my blood in carbon.

I can't stress how important it is to sit in the seats before you buy...they are totally different from one another even within the same brand. I had never imagined getting a shell type seat, but these felt the best in the end.

I too have mine set quite close to the wheels/pedals.

Last edited by TTRotary; 10-06-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:23 PM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC & SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to agree with you about sitting in them before buying, particularly because my, "BUT," can't fit into most of them.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Maybe it's different on the west coast, but I don't know of anywhere around here I could go try out different race seats. I mean we have speed shops but they don't stock road racing seats.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:47 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

OK TT pics please!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:24 AM
sleepless
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by #001 2001 Z06
Question:

At a loss, as most as these seats seem to be target marketed to flyweight rice boys are child carrier size.

As the as average covette owner weighs about the same as I do, someone here must have found the ultimate solution.
Seems like the Sparco Roadster is your seat, based on your criteria, which is very similar to mine.

Anway, I really like the Roadster...

Old 10-07-2004, 01:30 AM
PowerMad
Pro

Thank-you. I can see that you put a lot of time and thought into the issue of 3rd party seats. I apreciate the wealth of information you shared with the forum members. More than that, thanks for your solid advice on trying before buying.

dave
Old 10-07-2004, 08:54 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

[QUOTE=sleepless]Seems like the Sparco Roadster is your seat, based on your criteria, which is very similar to mine.

Anway, I really like the Roadster...

[QUOTE]

What mounting kit did you use, did you use sliders?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:01 PM
sleepless
Advanced

Originally Posted by CPT Z06
What mounting kit did you use, did you use sliders?
Sparco's mounting bracket and sliders. You can get them at www.speedwaremotorsports.com.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:15 AM
ghostRder
Safety Car

For a minute there I thought this was a body building forum !
50 Inch chest and 32 inch waist ! Man you must have a hard time buying suits !

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket seats

Quick Reply: [Z06] Aftermarket seats