Sponsored by:

[Z06] Advice on the use of fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Advice on the use of fuel injector cleaner

I've only owned my '02 for 2 weeks so I am still learning. It still has low miles on it (3000) and probably does not need it now, but what is the consensus about using fuel injector cleaner on these cars? I like Chevron's Techtron. I owned an L98 (1987) before the Z and although I used the cleaner, I heard that Chevrolet recommended against it because the injectors had a pindle design.

Thanks,

trebor
Old 09-09-2004, 07:11 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Generally it's a good idea to do now & then. either techron or Redline. Both are detergent based and not solvents. the biggest problem reported (so far) is that high sulpher content gas can caues a build up on the fuel level sensor and also seems to gum up the jet transfer pump (tank to tank).
Old 09-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I usually run a bottle through whenever I change my oil (roughly every 6000-7000 miles)
Old 09-11-2004, 02:33 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

AMSOIL makes a good fuel injector cleaner. Comes in a 16 oz bottle. AMSOIL recommends an initial dose of 6 oz for 10 gallons, then 1 oz per 10 gallon treatments.
I usually run a bottle through my vehicles periodically.

Here is the product brochure:
AMSOIL Performance Improver

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 09-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

If you are using a quality gasoline like Chevron, there is no benefit of using a fuel injector cleaner...you will be wasting your money. This info I recevied from ChevronTexaco (although they recommended Chevron or Texaco gasolines, naturally). ChevronTexaco stated that their Techron in gasoline will clean up deposits starting with the first tank of gasoline and then by the fifth tank your injectors and intake valves will be cleaned. ChevronTexaco also stated that their gasoline will clean up deoposits left by other brands of gasoline.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Using a good grade of gas will help keep the fuel system gunk free (chevron with techron) is recommended by GM....also not allowing the tank to be below half full when not being driven for a few days will help prevent water buildup from condensation.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Watch22
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a complete cleaning use BG44K.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Roadfrog
Pro

I have never seen an objective, quantified study or research results where the results tell me I should use a fuel injector cleaner such as Techron or any other brand.

Given that, I don't use the stuff and all four of my motor vehicles run great.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:15 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

I run mostly Chevron gas, it keeps the injectors clean and the gas gauge happy (do a search, the sulphur in the fuels makes the sensor go crazy on many cars, mine too, and since switching to Chevron I have had zero problems).

Les

Originally Posted by Trebor
I've only owned my '02 for 2 weeks so I am still learning. It still has low miles on it (3000) and probably does not need it now, but what is the consensus about using fuel injector cleaner on these cars? I like Chevron's Techtron. I owned an L98 (1987) before the Z and although I used the cleaner, I heard that Chevrolet recommended against it because the injectors had a pindle design.

Thanks,

trebor
Old 09-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Default Correction for you

Originally Posted by Roadfrog
I have never seen an objective, quantified study or research results where the results tell me I should use a fuel injector cleaner such as Techron or any other brand.

Given that, I don't use the stuff and all four of my motor vehicles run great.
Techron is not a "fuel injection" cleaner. Techron is an additive that not only cleans the fuel injectors but also cleans the intake and stops sludge from forming in your engine. By law, all gasoline sold in the United States is required to have an additive package; the cheaper additives contain primarily fuel injection cleaners. So, even using no-name brand gas will keep your injectors pretty much clean but will not keep the rest of your engine clean, will not prevent deposits from forming, will not prevent sludge, will not ...

Also, there are numerous objective, quantified studies and research results on Techron. Chevron was the first U.S. gasoline, in all grades, to be classified as "Top Tier", and recommended & approved by various car manufacturers such as GM, Honda, etc. Even before the "Top Tier" clasification, gasolines were categorized as to whether or not they met the "BMW" test: no deposit build up for 50,000 miles. A gasoline with only a fuel injector cleaner will not meet the BMW test.

If you're wondering on where I know this from, I own various oil stocks and I follow the press releases and such. One more thing, tests have shown that within 5 tanks of gasoline, Chevron (and Texaco) gasoline is able to clean up deposits left behind from other brands of gasoline.

Also, Chevron gasoline is a low sulphur gasoline. Ask your fuel guage and fuel pump contact points how they like sulpher (they don't). It costs more money to refine sulphur out of the gasoline. ChevronTexaco is also a refiner. ExxonMobil is also a refiner;Shell Oil Company does not refine gasoline. There is a difference between brands of gasoline and anyone that tells you that "gasoline is gasoline" does not know from shineola.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruncher
Techron is not a "fuel injection" cleaner. Techron is an additive that not only cleans the fuel injectors but also cleans the intake and stops sludge from forming in your engine. By law, all gasoline sold in the United States is required to have an additive package; the cheaper additives contain primarily fuel injection cleaners. So, even using no-name brand gas will keep your injectors pretty much clean but will not keep the rest of your engine clean, will not prevent deposits from forming, will not prevent sludge, will not ...

Also, there are numerous objective, quantified studies and research results on Techron. Chevron was the first U.S. gasoline, in all grades, to be classified as "Top Tier", and recommended & approved by various car manufacturers such as GM, Honda, etc. Even before the "Top Tier" clasification, gasolines were categorized as to whether or not they met the "BMW" test: no deposit build up for 50,000 miles. A gasoline with only a fuel injector cleaner will not meet the BMW test.

If you're wondering on where I know this from, I own various oil stocks and I follow the press releases and such. One more thing, tests have shown that within 5 tanks of gasoline, Chevron (and Texaco) gasoline is able to clean up deposits left behind from other brands of gasoline.

Also, Chevron gasoline is a low sulphur gasoline. Ask your fuel guage and fuel pump contact points how they like sulpher (they don't). It costs more money to refine sulphur out of the gasoline. ChevronTexaco is also a refiner. ExxonMobil is also a refiner;Shell Oil Company does not refine gasoline. There is a difference between brands of gasoline and anyone that tells you that "gasoline is gasoline" does not know from shineola.
So which ones are best, in your opinion?
Old 09-11-2004, 09:52 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using redline FI cleaner for years. It is not a solvent so it can be used often. Works great.. Although I never had a problem, my friends lexus has been pinging and they had to use premium fuel. I gave them one bottle of redline FI cleaner and it "fixed" their pinging issue.
They can now run regular with no pinging.
I use a bottle in all my cars every 5K miles. It is not a solvent and does not dilute oil, gas... Can be found at for about $5 a bottle... A worthwhile investment.
mike
Old 09-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Chevron gasoline is not sold in all states. GM, Ford, and DM all pay to have Chevron gasoline trucked in to Michigan from Kentucky. All three manufacturers use Chevron for their testing and EPA certifications. If I can't get Chevron or Texaco gasloine, I will use Mobil, Exxon, or BP/Amoco.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Default Octane, not cleaner

Originally Posted by C5~Missle
Been using redline FI cleaner for years. It is not a solvent so it can be used often. Works great.. Although I never had a problem, my friends lexus has been pinging and they had to use premium fuel. I gave them one bottle of redline FI cleaner and it "fixed" their pinging issue.
I use a bottle in all my cars every 5K miles. It is not a solvent and does not dilute oil, gas... Can be found at for about $5 a bottle... A worthwhile investment.
mike
Pinging has to do with octane. If your engine needs 91 octane and you run 87 octane, expect pinging. Why the F1 cleaner "fixed" the pinging is a mystery to me. Does the F1 cleaner state that it will "fix" pinging?
Old 09-11-2004, 11:03 PM
steve1173
Racer

Originally Posted by Trebor

Thanks,

trebor
I use Chevron but also add some Marvel Mystery oil to the gas. Been doing it with all my cars for years & never had a problem.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:04 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Pinging has to do with octane. If your engine needs 91 octane and you run 87 octane, expect pinging. Why the F1 cleaner "fixed" the pinging is a mystery to me. Does the F1 cleaner state that it will "fix" pinging?
When you have carbon build-up in the head/pistons it raises the CR which can cause pinging. Cleaning out this buildup will return the CR to normal. Also carbon "hot-spots" can pre-ignite which will also cause ping. Regular use of cleaner can keep carbon build-up from forming..

The lexus in question only sees city driving and limitied hwy use... it never gets "real road tuneup". People don't realize its good get on it every now and then to help burn off these deposits...
mike
Old 09-12-2004, 12:34 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

mike
Think you mean Redline SI Cleaners. I've always used them in all my cars . Never had any problems. But I did read somewhere that if you use too much...or let it sit in the tank, it could eat up the nylon fuel tank sock.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:18 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

When you have carbon build-up in the head/pistons it raises the CR which can cause pinging. Cleaning out this buildup will return the CR to normal. Also carbon "hot-spots" can pre-ignite which will also cause ping. Regular use of cleaner can keep carbon build-up from forming..
Correct. The build-up actually increases octane requirement by virtue of making the combustion chamber "smaller". With a smaller chamber comes increased static compression. Increased compression generally causes the fuel mixture to "light off" easier, so any hot spots in the chamber can more easily cause uncontrolled combustion, also known as knock and ping.

Hey, I'm bored tonight and just figured I'd elaborate for the helluva it....
Old 09-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Roadfrog
Pro

Techron does make a fuel injector cleaner sold in a bottle. I would expect the manufacturer to provide a "study". Wonder how unbiased it is?

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on the use of fuel injector cleaner

Quick Reply: [Z06] Advice on the use of fuel injector cleaner