Sponsored by:

[Z06] Vararam B2 user's

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 03:53 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vararam B2 user's

Hey Guy's, I think that I have decided to go with a Vararam B2 induction system, do any of you guy's who have had this unit on your Z06 a while have any negitive things to say about it? After the install will code be cropping up in the DIC and do you think that I will need a tune up? I have seen some post's where some of the guy's were saying that they were running rich after the install. Will the computer adjust to this change after some miles are put on the unit?
Thanks much
RoHo
Old 08-11-2004, 04:28 PM
GotMoJo
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I've installed one on my 02 without a problem. No codes, no nothing. The car will run slightly rich but it's nothing to worry about. I would opt for the K&N filter replacment though.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Matt69-ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GotMoJo
I've installed one on my 02 without a problem. No codes, no nothing. The car will run slightly rich but it's nothing to worry about. I would opt for the K&N filter replacment though.

Install is a PIA, but not hard. Takes 1-2 hours. Fit and finish is not as bad as people make it sound, just a little cheaper than you would expect for price.

BUT it looks great with the hood down and that is how I drive my car!

Old 08-11-2004, 05:55 PM
canesfins
Pro

The codes will be with 2003 and 2004 Zs.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:16 PM
ClayZ06Vette
Advanced

I have one on my 03 and everything is fine so far!!! (knock on wood)
Old 08-11-2004, 09:28 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Mine has been rich, and I am still on the stock tune. No dyno numbers before and after. Not easy to put in, and I think if I had to do it again I would go with a Haltech or Black Wing. The filter in the Varaam sucks MAn I am tired and still at work... GO for it as they do look .\
Dave
Old 08-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

I have the B1 on my 03ZO6. I have NO problems at all. I did have a dyno tune after, which I would recommend due to the A/F ratios mentioned above.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:10 AM
LuS1fer
Pro

On the Vortex website is a Corvette user who used the Vararam and it slowed him down so he went back to the Vortex. My own view is that the Z06 has run 11's with the stock intake so how much better can these intakes be?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:22 AM
slong
Melting Slicks

Gee, that's funny, no codes no problems what so ever with my Veraram and I own a 2003 Z06.
Originally Posted by canesfins
The codes will be with 2003 and 2004 Zs.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:29 AM
RichardTigner
Instructor

Default B2?

All I find is the B! on websites? Where is the B2 available and how much is it? I have the B1 on my 03 C5 and it was a PIA to install.

Is the B2 an upgraded unit and if so, how?

Sorry, I am not a car-guy. But, I am learning, slowly.

Old 08-14-2004, 01:12 AM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RoHo
Hey Guy's, I think that I have decided to go with a Vararam B2 induction system, do any of you guy's who have had this unit on your Z06 a while have any negitive things to say about it? After the install will code be cropping up in the DIC and do you think that I will need a tune up? I have seen some post's where some of the guy's were saying that they were running rich after the install. Will the computer adjust to this change after some miles are put on the unit?
Thanks much
RoHo
I just switched to the VaraRam B2 as suggested by Al at LAPD and the tuner said it lowered my air intake temps by 10-15 degrees

They also suggested the K&N air filter as well.

I have the Halltech Trap for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 08-14-2004, 01:34 AM
slong
Melting Slicks

What's up Stano.
Originally Posted by stano
I just switched to the VaraRam B2 as suggested by Al at LAPD and the tuner said it lowered my air intake temps by 10-15 degrees

Old 08-14-2004, 11:48 AM
MikeNMaxZO6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Stan, another mod....! Did LAPD suggest to use the VR B2 with the new heads? Better air, cooler air?

Mike
Old 08-16-2004, 02:25 AM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by slong
What's up Stano.
Hey Steve not much.
How you been, haven't heard to much from you lately.
Got the car running good and dealing with heating issues otherwise things are good.

You coming up in Oct for my cruise??

Stan
Old 08-16-2004, 02:39 AM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeNMaxZO6
Hey Stan, another mod....! Did LAPD suggest to use the VR B2 with the new heads? Better air, cooler air?

Mike
Al at LAPD did suggest the VaraRam because Tony from AFR was using it and his inlet temps were cooler than mine.

After the install the tuner at LAPD did say my temps were down over the Trap by 10-15 degrees.

I'm currently having some erratic coolant temps and I may have an air bubble that is being a bitch to get rid of.

I may put the Halltech back on to see if that has anything to do with it.
I didn't have any problems with it and it seems funny that after all the work that has been done to my car that after changing air intakes I start having these problems.

Process of elimination will begin

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions please feel free to chime in
Old 08-16-2004, 01:57 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm currently having some erratic coolant temps and I may have an air bubble that is being a bitch to get rid of. I may put the Halltech back on to see if that has anything to do with it.
The airbox change is not causing your coolant temp problem.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Crazyjj
Heel & Toe

I installed one on my 01 Z06. I got no codes, and the car runs a little rich, but not bad. I used the K&N filter instead of the one it came with. I can feel a difference commpared to stock, but no Dyno #'s to back it up. The install is not as easy as it sounds. I had to lift up the front end to get the room I needed to remove all the stuff that you have too. If you install one, watch for the two wire connectors that you have to uplug, because you will use them agagin on the reinstall of the varam. My car runs about 15 to 20 degrees cooler which is a plus in my book.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam B2 user's

Old 08-16-2004, 06:59 PM
PeteyPete
Drifting

How does the K&N fit in the Vararam?

I remember reading posts that said that the K&N didn't quite fit the Vararam, so silicon and pieces of foam were necessary to keep it in place....Is this still the case w/ the B2?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:38 PM
parshooter
Advanced

Okay, I will reluctantly weigh in; I installed the B2 on my '02 and it has not run right since. The car "stumbles" consistently in third and fourth gear about 2000 rpm and after 400 miles I got a check engine light and severe overheating (240 degrees); took it to the dealer (after I scanned it to find lean right and left banks - 0171 ad 0172); the dealer (real goofballs) said it scanned fine and the reset the computer and could not find anything wrong; after I left the dealer awhile ago it still stumbles in third but not so bad in fourth; the driving around town temperature of coolant is about 210 degrees; before this B2 (for 14,000 miles) my in town and road temp was always 190 derees on the button; this car was a jewel and I fear I screwed it up; I agree with the guy that posted a few back: why mess with an intake that will do 11's; my advice is don't get the B2 and quit messin' with it.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:03 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I removed a B1 system from my 2002 Z06 which was on the car when I bought it. It looked cheap, did not fit well, and had an awful foam air filter in it. I was also afraid of the possibility of hydrolock, however remote. It was a PITA to remove. It took me about 4 hours. As I was removing it, it was obvious that any claimed ram-air effects were a joke. When you see how hard it is to fit these things and all of the possible places for air pressure to leak out you will see what I mean. I replaced it with the stock airbox. I cannot tell any difference in performance. It looks much better with the stock airbox in my opinion.

In case any one is wondering, I already sold the B1 to a Forum member.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vararam B2 user's