[Z06] 2004 thermostat, fan questions, and CAGS questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 09:13 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2004 thermostat, fan questions, and CAGS questions

Hi guys,

I picked up an '04 Z06 a few months ago and am quite happy with it. It does run hotter than I would like, especially during extended driving in canyons in 2nd and 3rd gears, and the CAGS has bitten me a few times driving in traffic.

I have a few questions:

1. Who makes the best quality 180 degree thermostat for the car? I know the 2004s have a different design than the other C5 years, so I'm not even sure one is out yet.

2. Who makes the best quality programmer that will let me adjust the temperature at which the fans come on, and that will let me bypass the CAGS?

3. Where is the best place to buy this stuff in the Southern California area?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Arizona Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only respond to your CAGS question...this is simply a plastic insert ($19.95) that takes about 5 minutes to install. Any reputable auto performance dealer should have one for your Z.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:48 AM
canesfins
Pro

I purchased my CAGS from Ecklers as part of a bigger overal package, works fine. Oh yea, install ceraic brakes and get rid of the dust !!!
Old 07-18-2004, 06:03 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,037 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Don't know who makes the best quality 180 degree thermostat for the 2004 yet, but you might want to check with Hypertech.

Hypertech and Predator are 2 good choices for programmers to adjust the temperature at which the fans come on. Most Forum vendors carry these.

Most Forum vendors carry the CAGS skip shift eliminator for around $18-$20. By installing this device you will no longer be prevented from shifting into second gear from first during conservative driving. However
it will not prevent the Skip Shift light from still illuminating on the console.

Here are links to the simple istallation:

http://www.ls1.com/link_cags.html

or

http://97vette.com/howto/cags/index.html

Old 07-18-2004, 08:06 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd check with some of our vendors on the thermostat like LAPD, Ecklers etc. As I understand it you'll need something like an LS1Edit or Predator to adjust your fans. That alone can cost you around $400 to $500. I'd do the tuning last to take advantage of any intake/exhaust mods you may do. They can also turn off the CAGS so you wouldn't need to by the $20 by-pass.

But again the tuning should be the last item on your "to do" list to get your monies worth.

Tom
Old 07-18-2004, 08:43 AM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Personally I would avoid the Hypertech and Diablo hand held units and get your own LS1Edit software. Buy the stat from a forum vendor - I got mine from Vinci as they seem to have one of the best out there. Then you can adjust your fans, eliminate cags and, in the hands of a good tuner, dial the car in as you add mods.

Les

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I'd check with some of our vendors on the thermostat like LAPD, Ecklers etc. As I understand it you'll need something like an LS1Edit or Predator to adjust your fans. That alone can cost you around $400 to $500. I'd do the tuning last to take advantage of any intake/exhaust mods you may do. They can also turn off the CAGS so you wouldn't need to by the $20 by-pass.

But again the tuning should be the last item on your "to do" list to get your monies worth.

Tom
Old 07-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Les
Personally I would avoid the Hypertech and Diablo hand held units and get your own LS1Edit software. Buy the stat from a forum vendor - I got mine from Vinci as they seem to have one of the best out there. Then you can adjust your fans, eliminate cags and, in the hands of a good tuner, dial the car in as you add mods.

Les
If you intend to keep the car a while and continue to do engine mods then LS1edit would be a good investment and then you can eliminate the CAGS and change the fan temps. You will still need to install a cooler stat tho.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:23 AM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hypertech is working on a 180* stat for the '04s, no ETA. If you want an easy/quick programmer try the Diablo. Best to support our Forum Vendors. Try Shawn at LAPD or West Coast Corvettes (both in LA).
Old 07-18-2004, 07:53 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Thanks for the information, guys. I'll look into LS1 Edit and LAPD.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Z06JAX
Advanced

Default Thermostat

If the coolant runs at 190 on the highway, but hotter in the canyons, a 180 thermostat is a waste of time. Once the temp exceeds the set value of the thermostat, it is wide open anyway. If you are at 200 or higher in the canyons, the 180 deg unit won't make any difference. Check the air path to the radiator. Leaves & stuff can get up in there and block airflow. If temp is a problem, that's the first thing to check.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:26 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Z06Jax,

The car has under 1000 miles on it and probably runs around 200-210 degrees when running around 3-4K rpms consistently going back and forth between 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm not too worried about the water temp, but the oil temp will run between 230-240 degrees, which I don't like. I don't want to install an oil cooler or get into modifications since I'm tired of wrenching on cars, and just want to drive this one. What do you recommend given this information? Thanks for your input.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Originally Posted by crznZ06
Z06Jax,

The car has under 1000 miles on it and probably runs around 200-210 degrees when running around 3-4K rpms consistently going back and forth between 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm not too worried about the water temp, but the oil temp will run between 230-240 degrees, which I don't like. I don't want to install an oil cooler or get into modifications since I'm tired of wrenching on cars, and just want to drive this one. What do you recommend given this information? Thanks for your input.
Your temps for coolant and oil sound about right, considering the driving regime you are doing.

Running at 3000-4000 RPM in low gears in hot canyons and mountain roads burning a lot of fuel at relatively low speeds and high loads will naturally bump the heat loads on the engine up.

To drop your oil temps, you will need to install an $1800 radiator with oil cooler built in, it will keep your oil close to coolant temperature.

4000 rpm in 3rd on the Big and Little Tujunga Canyon Roads scares the shiite out of me, and I have been there many times... =;-]
Old 07-19-2004, 03:01 PM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

If you're in Orange County, go to either West Coast Corvettes in Placentia or Corvette Mike in Anaheim. Two very good places for parts and service. If you're in Los Angeles, go to LAPD.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Alex D
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your temps are fine, the only thing I'd do is go with a little thicker viscosity oil, such as the Mobil 1 0W-40 when running much over 220 oil temps.
Z06Jax,

Old 07-25-2004, 11:19 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Hi guys,

I picked up an '04 Z06 a few months ago and am quite happy with it. It does run hotter than I would like, especially during extended driving in canyons in 2nd and 3rd gears, and the CAGS has bitten me a few times driving in traffic.

I have a few questions:

1. Who makes the best quality 180 degree thermostat for the car? I know the 2004s have a different design than the other C5 years, so I'm not even sure one is out yet.

2. Who makes the best quality programmer that will let me adjust the temperature at which the fans come on, and that will let me bypass the CAGS?

3. Where is the best place to buy this stuff in the Southern California area?

Thanks in advance.
vinci can take care of the first two. unfortunately they are here in florida. so, they can't help you with #3. they have the t-stat in stock for the 04 version. i'm currently helping them with R&D on the programmer. here's a link to the t-stat and tuner http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...TS%20PAGE.HTML

here's a tutorial i made up for vinci for the programmer. http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 thermostat, fan questions, and CAGS questions

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2004 thermostat, fan questions, and CAGS questions