Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Decisions, decisions... wait for C6 Z06 or H/C?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 10:42 AM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Decisions, decisions... wait for C6 Z06 or H/C?

I am at the point with my '02 where I would like more power, but I am kinda torn.

I can't decide if I should put $10K or so into my current Z, or just wait 2 years and buy the C6 Z06.

I have been throwing around the idea of doing a Cartek stage 2 package, but I would hate to invest the $$ (I am kinda cheap and would hate to spend the $10k on mods, to only sell the car and not get the $$ back out of it), if the new Z is going to be a significantly better car all the way around.

If I went with the H/C package, I would be committed to keeping the car for quite some time.

How do you think an H/C, headers, TRAP, wider rubber, '04 shocks '02 Z06 would compare to the new Z, assuming the rumors are somewhat true.

Although I don't track the car that often, handling is important. How much better can the new Z possibly handle?

I know that this is kind of a tough thing to predict, since we don't know all of the details on the new Z, but lets consider the following rumors true: 500hp, alum. frame, bigger brakes, etc.

I also realize that doing mods now would provide instant gratification, but I my plan is to get a car that I could keep for a long time and enjoy. I would really be bummed if I the new Z would be all over my modded car, after I spent all of that $$.

Let me know your opinions on keeping my '02 and modding, or wait a year for the specs on new Z (I will by 2nd or third year, as I would never by a first year car). Also, I know that I would spend more $$ on a new Z, but it may be worth it... or maybe not.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Decisions, decisions... wait for C6 Z06 or H/C? (cj68)

Ah, for me, the "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." I'm not the patient type, and I'm not all that in love with the C6 body (which, I presume the C6 Z will be based off of). So, I've caved in and just started to bring my hp gradually, in stages. Cam just went in, and the heads will probably go in during the fall, perhaps with a new FAST intake and larger TB.

Now that's just me, and you might have a differing view point. My plans are to keep this car for at least 3-4 more years. By then, perhaps the new C6 look will have grown on me.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Of course I don't know you or what you want, but it seems that you're thinking about a C6 Z06 now. Will modding your car really take that away? If not, why spend the money, lose your warranty, and devalue your car to the general buying public? However, if it's going to be 3 or 4 years before you move to the Z06 it may be worth it for the amount of time that you'll enjoy the added power.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't find a signature for you or your car for some insight on what you've done up to now with the car and power you have.

The answer to your questions wholey depend on your priorities.

Is it a daily driver or a car for occasions.

If driving pleasure is you're focus, then it's hard to beat what you have now. But the C6-Z06 will be better all-round...a fully balanced package with a good warranty and a lot of testing to ensure reliability.

If it's sheer power, then a H/C package and all the related goodies can give you 450-500+ rwhp. Warranty? Maybe some, but not on the tranny, clutch, rear, etc, the things that tend to break on such a car. But if you go this route, you have to know that there will always be someone faster or a new set of updates lurking out there.

Again, depends on what you are after.

The most practical "mod" to improve the performance of your car may be to work on increasing your driving skills. For without that, I suspect that good drivers in base C6s will be whipping average drivers in C5-Z06s.

For my self, I'm continuing to work on my driving skills, while await delivery of an early C6-Z06.

Good luck with you deliberations.

Ranger
Old 06-21-2004, 01:50 PM
cj68
Pro

Default Re: Decisions, decisions... wait for C6 Z06 or H/C? (Ranger)

Ranger, I currently have just a Haltech TRAP as my only under the hood mod. I also have a Hurst/Momo, and a bunch of appearance stuff like VE interior goodies (no seats yet, but if I keep the car, this will happen along with the H/C).

The car is strictly a toy and only goes out on nice days. I just want more power because I am starting to get used to the car the way it is now and I need a new level of excitement. Now, I am not implying that I can drive the car to it's fullest... not even close. But it sure would be fun to have that extra power on tap when passing on the highway, etc.

I also do not want to build a drag racer, nor a flat out road track car. I was just thinking, as fun as it is to drive this car now, I bet it would be really fun with 75-100hp more!

My warranty will be up in Nov, so that is not really an issue, but I realize what you are saying about other stuff that can break.

All in all, I guess I just want to have a brutally fast car that is reliable and fun to drive. Right now I am very happy with my Z, but like so many others, I often wonder about what the car could be.

You made some great points, and I think I will probably leave the car the way it is for now, and wait until the C6 Z06 comes out.

Chris
Old 06-21-2004, 02:13 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Tough call, but I'm guessing you already have a substantial investment in the 02 Z. Cars take a beating value wise during the first two years of ownership. It's usually at the 3 year point that a well cared for, low mileage car will start to exceed the break even point.

I'd keep the 02 Z until the C6 Z becomes a reality and we know the facts. As far as spending several thousands dollars on the 02 only to consider selling when the C6 Z comes out, I don't think that is a wise move financially. But it would provide the muscle you appear to need.

Good luck.

Tom
Old 06-21-2004, 02:30 PM
08msmZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The most practical "mod" to improve the performance of your car may be to work on increasing your driving skills. For without that, I suspect that good drivers in base C6s will be whipping average drivers in C5-Z06s.

For my self, I'm continuing to work on my driving skills, while await delivery of an early C6-Z06.

Good luck with you deliberations.

Ranger
I'd rather learn to drive the C5 Z06 to its stock limits while I wait
for the C6 Z06, rather than spend a lot of money on mods. The mod money
I save will instead go toward a down payment on the C6 Z. Also, I need to
have the comfort of the factory warranty. I just can't afford to get hit with a
large expense that a blown engine will result in.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:31 PM
cj68
Pro

Default Re: Decisions, decisions... wait for C6 Z06 or H/C? (AFVETTE)

Tom,

I couldn't agree more, and my dilema is that I still want more. I am the type of person who hates to waste $$, and if I modded the 02 and didn't keep it, I would feel like a fool for pi$$ing that $$ away.

I always try to be as financially sensible as possible, but sometimes I just get the itch and it gets my "want" glands going. I think I will leave well enough alone for now and see what happens when the new Z comes out. Who knows, I might not even like it... in which case I may do something radical like a 427 and just keep the car for a very long time.

Thanks for the insight, I think I have made my decision to lay low for right now (even though I would still love to have H/C).

Chris

Old 06-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Based on your elaboration, I suspect the C6-Z06 will be a good fit to you needs. It will be brutally fast AND have handling, brakes, and amenities for balance.

As for the "first year risk," I think it's small. I bought an 01 Z06 within the first two weeks they were on the street. I waited just long enough to confirm that the total package was fast and fully integrated. It was and I was delighted with the car!

Since then the Corvette Program Office has worked hard to make small improvements but none that stranded the 01.

I suspect the first C6 Z06 will follow that pattern. Will there be a 2d year HP bump? Who knows, but I suspect not.

Ranger
Old 06-21-2004, 02:45 PM
cj68
Pro

Thanks everyone for your replies, as they have helped me make my decision.

Ranger, the reason I will wait for the second (or maybe even third) year is for a couple of reasons... one being possible improvements, as I do not want to buy 2 models of the same car because GMhas improved it significantly (I myself am really glad that I waited for the '02), and secondly, I want the hype to die a little bit so I can get GMS (who knows, they might not offer GMS the first year due to hype, or my dealer may not even accept GMS, although I could probably pull a few strings and make it happen). Anyways, thanks again and I'll just have to sit tight and enjoy my '02 (not that that is a bad thing, since I love my car).

Chris
Old 06-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Good point.

In early August, 2000 I paid sticker for my 01.

In Late May, 2002 I got $8K off sticker on my 02.

A significant premium for early adoption, but possibly counter-balanced by the opportunity cost of deferring which can become too much to bear.

Ranger
Old 06-21-2004, 03:16 PM
cj68
Pro

I hear ya. I had a deposit on an '02 for which I would have had to pay sticker, and then someone on this forum (unfortunately I forget who) hipped me to a dealer in the area that accepted GMS certificates on Vettes. Needless to say, I will get all of my Vettes from him in the future.

But $8K off of sticker was awesome at that time. That is what I got with GMS! Did you have a GMS deal, or did you know the dealer well?

I was once told that only 3 dealers in the country accept GMS on Vettes (how true this is I don't know), and one of them happens to be in our area.

Chris
Old 06-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...$8K off of sticker was awesome at that time. That is what I got with GMS! Did you have a GMS deal, or did you know the dealer well?
I just caught a dealer with an big inventory of 02s (about 80) on his lot at 9 PM, right at closing...the last day of the month. My 02 Z06 was just coming of the truck still with the protective wrap and they literally were having trouble finding a place to park it. They stay until 11.30 pm to complete the paperwork and I drove the car home.

At the time, it was a good deal, about $4K better than other local dealers I checked.

My deal on the 06 Z06 is at sticker; same deal and dealer that sold me the 01. They received three 01 Z06s the second week they were shipping. I'm hoping that history will repeat itself.

GMS would be sweet but not likely attainable until the 07.

Ranger
Old 06-21-2004, 04:53 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

To further help, I was all set to order a C6 Z51 6-speed. I sold my mint and highly modded 99 mid May. I was all set to run to the dealer and place the order (he still had one left). But then it hit me, $52K vs $39K (that's what I paid for my mint 03 Z and it came with over $1500 in mods and I knew the previous owner) for a car that was a break even in terms of performance. I bought the Z. I'll give the C6 particularly the Z the opportunity to WOW me. If it does in two years I'll order a 2nd year Z.

Tom
Old 06-21-2004, 05:45 PM
fast4vette
Burning Brakes

i'd be a lot cheaper to throw the $10k into your existing '02 and you might even have more power.

you are not going to get the $10k back eventually but you are not getting any return on your initial off-the-lot depreciations on the two cars.

the c6 will be nice and have with some more bells and whistles.

an '02 z with h/c and headers will be pretty sweet as well.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:30 PM
WFO
Drifting

Ok, here's something to consider. The C5 Z06 will always be a sweet ride any year anyday. If you take care of your stuff you will have it around for a long enough time to enjoy the effects of the H/C or even go the supercharger route.

Go ahead you know you want to. Break loose with the coin and go for the package. By the way, you got a nice set of deep dish 19" CCW wheels on that car yet? Well, what are you waiting for.

"Life's short, play hard"

Now, go out to the garage and hug that car, and tell it your sorry. Go ahead get going.....where watching.

[Modified by WFO, 1:41 AM 6/22/2004]
Old 06-21-2004, 09:11 PM
stingray454
Drifting

I would mod your current Z06 for now. Here's why:

- The C6 Z06 is still over a year away from production, and early models will be hard to get and very expensive with initial markups by dealers. At the very least, expect to pay full sticker and wait many months to get one.

- The pricing of the C6 Z06 is anyone's guess. But if they include all that the rumors say, expect it to cost at LEAST $60k, probably more. If it uses an aluminum frame (which I doubt), it'll probably be closer to $65k-70k.

- If you traded in your Z06 for a C6 Z06, you're looking at a price differential of about $30k, plus tax and all the other B.S. that goes with a new car. When you look at it that way, the $10k in mods for your current Z06 seems like a bargain.

- Personally, I wouldn't buy a first year C6 Z06. If I get one, I'll wait till at least the 2nd, probably the 3rd model year. The pricing gets better, and it gives GM time to work the bugs out - and there are ALWAYS bugs with a machine this complex. So from my standpoint, I'm looking at 2007 or 2008 at the earliest before I would seriously consider getting a C6 Z06. So any mods I do to my current Z06, I'll get to enjoy for 3-4 years anyway, and that's worth it to me.

[Modified by stingray454, 8:14 PM 6/21/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Decisions, decisions... wait for C6 Z06 or H/C?

Old 06-22-2004, 12:19 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Default Re: Decisions, decisions... wait for C6 Z06 or H/C? (stingray454)

I'd look at it this way..

It usually costs about 6 or 7 grand a year to lease a Z06...so if you can wait out the first couple of years on the high demand C6 Z06..you'll be ahead of the game..

Bolt on a magunson supercharger over at vette doctors this june for 8 grand installed with painted hood..You need to contact them in June for this pricing though..

Set up the appointment with Carmen..then drive up....drop off the car..and have someone over at Vette doctors drop you off at the local airport..fly home..

when the cars ready..fly back..and have the time of your life driving home..

For the next three or four years..enjoy the extra 130 hp..and the additional 36K/36 month drivetrain warranty thats offered (extra 200 dollars I believe) and then when the C6 Z06 comes out....wait till its sales cool off a bit..

By then your looking at 2007 or so..maybe 2008..

Your average cost should be 2 grand a year for 4 years..( 8 grand installed)

Then unbolt the supercharger..reset the pcm..and sell the supercharger for a couple of grand..

Sell your existing ride...and buy the C6 Z06..

The best of both worlds..

[Modified by JerriVette, 11:24 PM 6/21/2004]
Old 06-22-2004, 07:23 AM
C5 CU
Burning Brakes

i currently have around 575 HP at the motor...i don't think the new C6-ZO6 will be more...i don't think it will 11.2s without modding...H/C package is a hoot to drive and mine is my daily driver... draw back is i will never get mod investment back plus the cars depriciate.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 AM
WisconsinVETTE
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Decisions, decisions... wait for C6 Z06 or H/C? (stingray454)

- The pricing of the C6 Z06 is anyone's guess. But if they include all that the rumors say, expect it to cost at LEAST $60k, probably more. If it uses an aluminum frame (which I doubt), it'll probably be closer to $65k-70k.
I bet it will be $65-$70K anyway.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Decisions, decisions... wait for C6 Z06 or H/C?