Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 10:23 PM
SpdKilz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst?

Maybe I am making this topic a bit early.....BUT....

I installed my Hurst shifter today, and did it exactly how I should (and made my own how-to in the process). I did a lot of research on it and know that it is stiffer; however, I thought that was mainly in the neutral position.

My question, is it a lot harder to go from 1st to 2nd with your Hurst shifter? (assuming NO springs were changed, and nothing was altered...just put in straight from the box)

I took the car out and was missing 2nd every now and then (not grinding...but I wouldn't hurl the shifter into 2nd quite strongly enough and I would just rev). My 2nd-3rd is AMAZING though. I can't believe how much better this is over stock!

Anyway, again, the main question is do you guys ever miss 2nd (I NEVER missed 2nd with the stock shifter), and do you notice that the Hurst is stiffer in the 1-2 shift vs. stock?

Thanks...

(by the way, I did a few great 1-2-3 shift runs without any flaws, however, I am literally putting my weight into the shifts to make sure they are all the way in and now my wrist sort of hurts, heh).

Also, I may be noticing this because I am a pretty small guy (5'9" at 140...)

Carleton
Old 05-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst? (PepperdineZ06)

Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst
Never. I guess you could say it is more stiffer, I like to say it doesn't feel like mush like the stock one. Maybe more mechanical is the right word.

[Modified by Racer44, 9:16 PM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 11:22 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Default Re: Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst? (Racer44)

Old 05-06-2004, 01:39 AM
4N EATER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take it out and put in the lighter springs. They are there to center the shifter, thats why youre missing, cause u have the hardest ones in there right now. I occasionally miss 5th to 6th when i'm just relaxing and trolling down the highway, but when ripping through the shifts, because i am pushing on it hard, it NEVER misses.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:44 AM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst? (4N EATER)

Put in the softer springs and you'll never miss 2nd again! I love my hurst, the Z should come with one from the factory!
Old 05-06-2004, 12:04 PM
SpdKilz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst? (ZZOOM06)

Thanks everyone!

I took the Vette out again late last night and had five flawless runs...I think I just need to get use to it (though I still may swap the springs out to see the difference).

Thanks again,

Carleton
Old 05-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

I put my Hurst in with what the springs it came with and after a bit I thought the centering, especially reverse, was to hard so I changed to the softer springs. It's much better now. I like the notchy feel the shifter. I never had a problem getting into second.

Did you install the stops? I didn't but now am rethinking this after reading some posts about trans problems. Apparently the stops help to prevent the shifter fork from being over extended. Yes the trans has internal stops but if I understand this correctly, the stops are aluminum and wear away. This only happens under hard shifting and is why Hurst has them on their shifter. The average driver won't have to worry. The stock shifter doesn't have the stops, but you wouldn't use that shifter for racing either.

[Modified by Shylor, 12:33 PM 5/6/2004]
Old 05-07-2004, 12:03 AM
SJRAMROD
Advanced

It will loosen up for you! I've had mine in for over a month now and it feels great. Not as tight as new but, tight enough for a positive shift feel! After a while, you get used to pulling it slightly toward you as you go from 1st to 2nd. Going into 3rd, I just push it straight from behind and bang.........it goes right into 3rd no matter how fast I push it forward!
Well, I guess I'm trying to tell you that you'll get used to it. Just give it a little time!
Old 05-07-2004, 07:27 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Never. The Hurst will get smoother as it breaks in. The lighter springs may help when new.

Tom

[Modified by AFVETTE, 6:29 AM 5/7/2004]
Old 05-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Thud
Team Owner

I think I may have missed second once just because I shifted a little too lazily.

Getting into reverse requires some luck especially when the car is cold.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:09 AM
SpdKilz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst? (Thud)

Thanks again everyone...I took it out again and didn't miss a single time. I guess I just sort of freaked out when I missed second since I had never done it. Haven't done it since!

And let me tell you...jeeze...I love that shifter over stock!

Carleton
Old 05-07-2004, 12:15 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank god,I havent had to ride in a hurst yet.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

My 03 has 25,000 miles on it all with a Hurst shifter. Putting the lighter springs is the way to go. It will also get easier with time/wear.

I recommend the stops. If you don't want them to make noise adjust them very close. Don't follow the instructions form Hurst. Make sure there is just a slight amount of movement with the stops tight in 3rd and 4th gear. Slight means just a few thousands.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst? (Racer44)

I've never missed second but I have missed fourth and accidentally shifted into second. Luckily I didn't break anything.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:12 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I put the soft springs in. If I ever miss a shift, stock shifter or Hurst, it's 3-4.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:48 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

I really enjoy my Hurst.no probs but one.........5th to 6th is a bear........always wants to go to into 4th. I actually have to push the hurst stick hard to the right to find 6th.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:46 AM
cbota
Racer

I just installed mine with the springs that are preinstalled. I loosened the adjusting scew a 1/2 turn to weaken the springs. If you miss 2nd its usually because you get lax and you go into 4th, which is just like having cags. But with the weaker springs you can miss 3rd and go to 1st which could be a problem when racing. Basically this shifter is designed so you dont miss 3rd or 4th whiling at the drag strip.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst?

Old 05-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I do it once in a while if I've been driving my Camaro for a few days straight. The Camaro has a B&M ripper which has a super easy effort. The vette has a BPP shifter which is super stiff (I imagine it's similar to the Hurst with stiff springs). I'll do it a few times then realize I'm just not shifting hard enough. You'll get used to it.

Dope
Old 05-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

The springs will help...over time the shifter will break-in. Also, moving from the stock shifter the the hurst is a huge jump, it will take some time to get used to...plus, its not really made for the lazy day driving, you need to drive the car like it's mean't to be driven! Then you will see the true wonders of the hurst
Old 05-09-2004, 12:09 AM
SpdKilz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst? (Dope)

I do it once in a while if I've been driving my Camaro for a few days straight. The Camaro has a B&M ripper which has a super easy effort. The vette has a BPP shifter which is super stiff (I imagine it's similar to the Hurst with stiff springs). I'll do it a few times then realize I'm just not shifting hard enough. You'll get used to it.

Dope
Exactly. See...I have a manual Civic that I drive when the Vette is in the garage...so going from that very soft clutch and shifter to the Z06 is like night and day...I took the Z06 out again today and missed 2nd once, but i just had to remind myself to keep pushing to the left hard enough when going into 2nd rather than lazily doing so.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Do you ever miss 2nd with your Hurst?