C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06

Old 04-19-2004, 11:19 PM
ike
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (1hotZ06)

That is not normal - it should be easily fixed, usually putting some stuff on the back of the pads.

Mine just started squeaking this last week under light pressure. Only 2,500 miles on the car. Just what do you mean by "stuff"? I'm interested... tell me more!

Keep :seeya

[Modified by 1hotZ06, 8:35 PM 4/19/2004]
Most every auto parts store carries a product called something like, "Disk brake quiet". Sometimes this stuff also comes with new brake pads. It's basically a thick, liquid goo that you spread over the back of the brake pads and let it set up to a rubbery surface before you reinstall the pads. It's supposed to eliminate pad vibrations which is one of the causes of brake squeal or screech.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:29 AM
1hotZ06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (ike)

Most every auto parts store carries a product called something like, "Disk brake quiet". Sometimes this stuff also comes with new brake pads. It's basically a thick, liquid goo that you spread over the back of the brake pads and let it set up to a rubbery surface before you reinstall the pads. It's supposed to eliminate pad vibrations which is one of the causes of brake squeal or screech.
Thanks ike! :cheers:
Old 04-20-2004, 07:56 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Brake Fluid 5/5.1 etc.

Do not use DOT 5 or 5.1 in your car! It is designed for DOT 3. You can argue all you want about how wonderful 5/5.1 is, but when the owner's manual specifically tells you do not use DOT 5 then you really should pay attention. DOT 5 causes the seals to swell, and although it doesn't have the hygroscopic qualities of DOT 3, it will f**k up your system. You will never have the same pedal feel, and down the road when you have to rebuild all of your calipers, your MC, and your ABS pump, you will say "damn, I wish I'd paid attention to Michael!"

OK, I'm done.

Michael :rant: :seeya
Old 04-20-2004, 12:45 PM
buymeavette
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Brake Fluid 5/5.1 etc. (yeller z06)

there is a DOT4 out there. its recommened for street applications that are being used in high performance situations. i just learned about this in class. as for the differences between DOT3 and DOT4 i don't exactly know. teacher said that the fluid of DOT4 flows quicker to the caliper pushing the pistons to the rotor quicker.

maybe its thicker... maybe its thinner but its not recommended for daily use he says. suppose to not last as long and gets dirty quicker. DOT5 is in racing applications and is found on Hi-Po street cars.... and Viper guys know what fluid is used??? I need to pop the hood of my friends and see if even that car uses it.

anyways... back to work....
Old 04-20-2004, 01:46 PM
johnny44
Intermediate

My brakes did the same took it to the dealer. There fix know :cool:
Old 04-20-2004, 02:10 PM
ike
Racer

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (johnny44)

My brakes did the same took it to the dealer. There fix know :cool:
That's very good to know ! Do you know exactly what they did to solve the problem ?
Old 04-20-2004, 05:15 PM
PowerMad
Pro

Although my Z06 has never suffered a squealing brake or popping hand brake issue, I have had squealing brakes on other cars equipped with disc brakes.

A mechanic once told me that repeated hard braking causes a condition where the brake pads develop a glazed layer (a layer with properties altered by the high temperature and pressue). This layer rubbing against the rotor causes a loud "chalk on chalkboard" squeal. His cure used to be using an abrasive on the pad surface. Now, he recommends ceramic replacements.

He told me that brake pads used to contain a component that withstood the tempratures and pressures, preventing the problem. Unfortunately, that component was asbestos.

dave

Old 04-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Too Tall Z06
Advanced

Default Re: Brake Fluid 5/5.1 etc. (buymeavette)

there is a DOT4 out there. its recommened for street applications that are being used in high performance situations. i just learned about this in class. as for the differences between DOT3 and DOT4 i don't exactly know. teacher said that the fluid of DOT4 flows quicker to the caliper pushing the pistons to the rotor quicker.

maybe its thicker... maybe its thinner but its not recommended for daily use he says. suppose to not last as long and gets dirty quicker. DOT5 is in racing applications and is found on Hi-Po street cars.... and Viper guys know what fluid is used??? I need to pop the hood of my friends and see if even that car uses it.

anyways... back to work....
The difference is the Boiling Point. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point than Dot 3. Under racing applications, there is a tremendous amount of heat build up in the rotor/wheel assembly from braking. This heat will transfer into the calipers and the fluid. If the fluid has a boiling point less than the temperature felt in the caliper, then the fluid will boil creating air in the lines. Therefore, you will feel a spongy pedal until the liquid cools, usually a couple of corners worth.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Blue 02 C5
Racer

My 03 Z06 has the parking brake "pop" AND the squeaky brakes. I call my car the "city bus". I live with it though. It's embarrassing but I pretend like everyone thinks it's an invisible DART bus next to me.

p.s., my brakes have squealed since 2000 miles as well. I have found that if I power wash the wheels then it will go away for about one day, then it is back. sometimes hard braking will clear it up, but it comes right back.

[Modified by Blue 02 C5, 8:31 PM 4/20/2004]
Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

New AC/Delco Ceramic pads are the fix for both the squeal and the dust, my '01 did neither, but my 03 was horrible, embarrassing squeaking in town, bad dust in 200 miles of driving. I installed the Ceramic pads, no dust even in 1000 miles, fand no squeaks. At 9000 miles now, still happy with my choice.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:57 PM
buymeavette
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Brake Fluid 5/5.1 etc. (Too Tall Z06)

okay.... not to go off topic or anything... well more then we have ( don't feel starting a DOT3 vs DOT4 thread is needed ) already gone into this. i appreciate all information that you have given me, but i have a few questions. so now i know its souly based on boil point, why not just use DOT4 my teacher says its not practical and that most car manufactors just opt for DOT3 unless needed or mandated by DOT. after it can't be much more money no more then 5... 10 bucks MAX. so should i put DOT4 in any future car?? my main point and focus is the the advantage of having DOT3 vs DOT4.... sure my car won't reach high temps like a vette at Laguna Seca, but simply why not???

erik
Old 04-20-2004, 11:03 PM
buymeavette
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (LT1GMC)

CERAMICS ARE CLEANER AND QUITER.... but for lead foots and last minute brakers...... Semi-Metallic are the way to go for stopping power.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:45 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Brake Fluid 5/5.1 etc. (buymeavette)

okay.... not to go off topic or anything... why not just use DOT4 ... but simply why not???

erik
Erik,

Simply put, as I said before, Chevrolet specifically says do not use anything other than DOT 3. If that's what they say, and they get that specific about it, then you should really pay attention. Their engineers know a bit more than probably any one of us.

Secondly, whoever wrote here (and I paraphrase): When the caliper temperature is above the boiling point, the fluid gets air bubbles in it and your pedal gets soft then it takes a few corners before it cools down and your pedal returns. :smash: :nono: :nono:
Simply not true! Once you get air bubbles in your fluid, the fluid does not magically reabsorb it. Your brakes are toast, you will have no pedal, and you must bleed the air bubbles out of the system.

Remember: Just because you read it on the Internet doesn't mean that it's true!

Michael :seeya
Old 04-21-2004, 07:48 AM
ike
Racer

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06

The funny thing is.... I Just received my Corvette Quarterly magazine. I was reading the section on what items were improved in the 2004 Corvette, the last of its kind. What was the first thing they mentioned ?? Chamfered brake pads to eliminate brake squeal :rofl: They said it's not an easy process but something to the effect that Chevrolet felt it was worth it for additional customer satisfaction :rofl:

Apparently they started putting these pads on late '03's and all '04's. Out of the 3 C5's I've owned now, this 2004 is the only one that has had severe brake squeal.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:23 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I picked up my '04 three weeks ago. I've had light squeaking since day one. Dusting is really bad. I'm changing the fronts to ceramic. Had them on my '01 and they were great.
mark
Old 04-22-2004, 08:07 PM
jerome
Instructor

Default So they squeal and make dust

I have 8K miles on my '04 Z, and sure the brakes squeal and they create dust.

But I love the smooth decelerations. My previous cars (Trans-Am, T-Bird) were really bad at shaking during deceleration. I had the brake rotors machined and even replaced, the problem crept back. None of those signs so far on the Z. :hurray:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06