[Z06] Clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:54 PM
jparr98027
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch noise

Greetings,

I have a question, when I press on my clutch I hear a clicking noise when the clutch is pressed to the floor. Is this normal? I just bought my Z06 (2003 with 7000 miles on it) about a month ago & I think it just started to make this noise...sometimes I am just over paranoid with my car I think!
Thanks,
JP
Old 03-17-2004, 11:53 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Clutch noise (jparr98027)

Hi there! I never noticed any noise but now you have me wondering!

I assume you are hearing this while driving right? Or are you playing in the driveway with the car shut off.

Anyway! Welcome to the forum and I will check it out in mine. I also have a 2003 with 7000 miles or so.

Does you car happen to be black like mine?

If it is then :thumbs:

If not get it painted!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:10 PM
AHMAD
Racer

Default Re: Clutch noise (theblackvette)

Mine makes the clicking noise when the clutch is NOT engaged...and it reduces(almost gone) when I press in the clutch. My '04 does this.,...my '03s never did this. It has done this since I bought it...I noticed it at around 500 miles. Gonna get it checked out soon, though.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Clutch noise (2003yellowZ06)

The car is fricken noisy and doesn't have much sound deadening so you hear it all. The clutch/flywheel assy. makes noise and you'll hear it comming from the tunnel area. It's called clutch chatter and will lessen when the clutch is depressed, nothings wrong at all.

Now if you have a "click click" noise when you push the clutch in during the action of pressing the clutch in then it may be the clutch return spring. Mine broke and made a "click click" noise. I just removed it. It makes the clutch a bit harder to put in but it's better for racing. Good luck :cheers:
Old 03-17-2004, 07:00 PM
jparr98027
Cruising

I just tried the clutch in the driveway & it does make some noise when depressed-a little squeeking. I tried my friends clutch at work (a firebird) & it also makes some noise. As long as it does what its supposed to do its all good!
btw, I have a millenium yellow, I like all the other colors of the Z06! Thanks for the responses.

JP
Old 03-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Clutch noise (jparr98027)

a little squeeking is fine. You can re-grease the spring under there if necessary.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Clutch noise (Cobra4B)

Now if you have a "click click" noise when you push the clutch in during the action of pressing the clutch in then it may be the clutch return spring. Mine broke and made a "click click" noise. I just removed it. It makes the clutch a bit harder to put in but it's better for racing.
I'm a bit confussed Cobra4B. :confused:

You say you removed the return spring, and that made the clutch harder to put in. If anything, I would think that removing the return spring would make it easier to put the clutch in, since the spring is pushing up on the clutch pedal.
Also, why would removing the spring make it better for racing?

Jim
Old 03-18-2004, 07:29 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Clutch noise (Jim 47)

I checked mine and hear a slight click just before the clutch is pressed down completely.....

No big deal to me!

Old 03-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

The spring makes the clutch easier to push in (not help w/ return). It's reversed sprung. Some ls1's have clutch sticking problems b/c and the spring can exacerbate the problem some b/c it's trying to hold the clutch in (to make it easier to push in) Taking the spring out makes the clutch less likely to stick under hard shifting and has no adverse effects.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Clutch noise (Cobra4B)

The car is fricken noisy and doesn't have much sound deadening so you hear it all. The clutch/flywheel assy. makes noise and you'll hear it comming from the tunnel area. It's called clutch chatter and will lessen when the clutch is depressed, nothings wrong at all.

Now if you have a "click click" noise when you push the clutch in during the action of pressing the clutch in then it may be the clutch return spring. Mine broke and made a "click click" noise. I just removed it. It makes the clutch a bit harder to put in but it's better for racing. Good luck :cheers:
:iagree: Owning this car makes you notice every little noise, flaw, etc etc, no matter how small or insignificant it is :yesnod: Some people may think you're nuts, but hey! its ok :yesnod:
Old 03-18-2004, 11:02 PM
MikeNMaxZO6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Clutch noise (Oyishdog)

Yeah your right Oyishdog! You tend to notice every little imperfection and noises with car either sitting there or just cruising. :D
Old 03-19-2004, 02:00 PM
DUCMAN
Pro

Default Re: Clutch noise (MikeNMaxZO6)

I swear I heard my car singing to me the other day...like it has been said before...you hear everything!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Clutch noise (2003yellowZ06)

Mine makes the clicking noise when the clutch is NOT engaged...and it reduces(almost gone) when I press in the clutch. My '04 does this.
The clutch/flywheel assy. makes noise and you'll hear it comming from the tunnel area. It's called clutch chatter and will lessen when the clutch is depressed, nothings wrong at all.
:cheers: :cheers:
I'm glad I'm not the only one...I thought I was going crazy!!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch noise

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch noise