[Z06] Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 08:04 AM
dcessna
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others

I plan on purchasing my next Z06 soon.

What is the difference between Callaway and Lingenfelter, besides price?

Does anyone have experience dealing with these companies?

Regards,
Dennis :flag
Old 11-01-2003, 01:15 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others (dcessna)

Ummm...why not just go to the web sites? Callaway builds entire custom cars, Lingenfelter is a high end tuner.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:29 PM
dcessna
4th Gear

Default Re: Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others (CPT Z06)

Good idea! why not e-mail and telephone them too? I have done all of the above, but have not ran any other their equipment.

I was hoping for some practical experience running their equipment and comments regarding the different company styles.

Something along those lines would be great.

Regards,
Dennis
Old 11-01-2003, 06:55 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

:lurk:
Old 11-01-2003, 08:14 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Good idea! why not e-mail and telephone them too? I have done all of the above, but have not ran any other their equipment.

Regards,
Dennis
Sorry I posted and wasted your time, or did you waste my time? Let's see your 1st post on this forum you ask about the two most expensive tuners in the world and you want to know what the difference is, which forces me to assume you know nothing about them, now you tell me you know everything but just want to hear from people who have owned/driven them.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:18 PM
EVIL
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

callaway makes their own corvettes, much like saleen or steeda....you're not buying a z06 and taking it to them, more like you go to them to buy a callaway....

lpe / 21st, is probably where to you want to go. they are tuners and have a solid reputation for both modding and programming....

what are you looking to buy or get done??
what kind of driving would you be doing??
what kind of hp you looking to put out and where in the rpm range do you want it??
Old 11-01-2003, 08:37 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others (EVIL)

callaway makes their own corvettes, much like saleen or steeda....you're not buying a z06 and taking it to them, more like you go to them to buy a callaway....

lpe / 21st, is probably where to you want to go. they are tuners and have a solid reputation for both modding and programming....

what kind of hp you looking to put out and where in the rpm range do you want it??

:iagree: Evil did a great job of summing it up. I personally don't think Callaway is worth the money. He modifies the drivetrain and suspension on a completely new body. But for $190K large, give me something Italian or German.

Old 11-01-2003, 09:06 PM
slong
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others (C5Longhorn)

:iagree: Evil did a great job of summing it up. I personally don't think Callaway is worth the money. He modifies the drivetrain and suspension on a completely new body. But for $190K large, give me something Italian or German.

[/QUOTE]

:iagree: AH, vonsmecklezgrobin ya hir Z Dr.

[Modified by slong, 6:08 PM 11/1/2003]
Old 11-02-2003, 03:27 AM
dcessna
4th Gear

Thanks for the objective answer. As you may be able to tell I only read the web pages and assume what the after market tuners are doing. I cannot afford to put my money into a $70,000 car except for One Time and I need to get it right the first time. I cannot afford to say, opps, I should have do it another way.

The car must be driveable on the highway, with cornering ability and moderate HP. Somewhere around 500HP with the max cornering ability I can get with the Vette.

Sounds like the 383 with all the mods is about right. As you have said, I will start with the 2004,Z06 and go from there.

Any other Ideas?

Regards,
D. Cessna
Old 11-02-2003, 03:57 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

500hp to the wheels or 500 tv hp?
Old 11-02-2003, 02:36 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

You should look at the Cartek head and cam packages too, if you only want around 500hp. Since this is your second Z06 what do you want to change about the suspension?
Old 11-02-2003, 03:18 PM
EVIL
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Thanks for the objective answer. As you may be able to tell I only read the web pages and assume what the after market tuners are doing. I cannot afford to put my money into a $70,000 car except for One Time and I need to get it right the first time. I cannot afford to say, opps, I should have do it another way.

The car must be driveable on the highway, with cornering ability and moderate HP. Somewhere around 500HP with the max cornering ability I can get with the Vette.

Sounds like the 383 with all the mods is about right. As you have said, I will start with the 2004,Z06 and go from there.

Any other Ideas?

Regards,
D. Cessna
where are you from? there may be quality tuners closer to you than lpe or 21st (lpe retailer)...

with what you're describing here's my suggestion for what it's worth having owned and modded 2 c5s...

theres two ways you can go on the engine with this.... natural aspirated or forced induction...if you go n/a and you want about 500hp to the wheels i'd go with lpe's new 427 darton package...about $20k
turbos will get you the same but cost $4k or so more...turbos will run right off throttle and have no parasitic power loss...so it's free boost....
superchargers is a chaper way to go...you prob won't get 500rwhp from a s/c but you will get power...magnesson offered by lpe is great for low end torque and hp from low rpms where most city driving and short drag races are done....about $8-9k for this when all is said and done....

if money isn't an option i'd go with the 427 hands down.....no replacement for displacement....theres so much more i can get into like heads, cam, exhaust, ect....but i wont....other than say if you do one thing usually you have to do others when modding...it never stops :D

now to suspension....if you want good cornering you're half way there by buying a z06.... invest in some adjustable penske or billstein shocks and probably lower the car 1 - 1.5 inches....also invest in good tires, probably not the f-1 supercars...some like them, i think they suck.... sway bars and new bushings are nice too, but probably a bit overboard, go with the shocks you'll be fine....baer and brembo brake packages are a bit over rated and really not that much better than some nice drilled slotted rotors with new pads.....save yourself some money.... :thumbs:

man, anything else?? it's all my opinion, but i guess that's all you were looking for....good luck....

hey wanna buy mine?? hehe....
Old 11-02-2003, 07:43 PM
niphilli2
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Didn't J: work with Callaway back in the day?
Old 11-02-2003, 10:03 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Default Re: Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others (CPT Z06)

What a load of crap this is. The guy politely asks a question and someone responds with this BS. What happened to class or manners. If you don't want to help someone, just don't respond.

Sorry I posted and wasted your time, or did you waste my time? Let's see your 1st post on this forum you ask about the two most expensive tuners in the world and you want to know what the difference is, which forces me to assume you know nothing about them, now you tell me you know everything but just want to hear from people who have owned/driven them.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:44 AM
dcessna
4th Gear

Default Re: Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others (383LPE)

I see your handle is 383LPE. How do you like your set-up vs. cost? Would you have gone another way if given the chance?

Regards,
D. Cessna
Old 11-03-2003, 02:27 PM
383LPE
Drifting

My situation was a little different than yours. I think the quality of the work LPE does for what you get is excellent, and they took my vette and made it perform like supercars costing 5 times as much. That to me was a value.

Your car runs much like a supercar to begin with and driven to its limits will keep up with just about anything.

You can't go wrong with LPE if you can deal with the distance and the difference in cost between them and other tuners. I do think it is nice working with the folks that have been pioneering vette performance since the mid eighties. (LPE's affiliation with Callaway was LPE built the engine used in the infamous sledgehammer)
Old 11-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

I was hoping for some practical experience running their equipment and comments regarding the different company styles.

Something along those lines would be great.

Regards,
Dennis
CPTZ06 I'm with you. Snapping back at someone this hard on your FOURTH post does not seem too smart to me.

dcessna, you can learn a lot from reading CPTZ06's posts. I would suggest to Chill out and get some "seat time" on the board before flying off the handle like that.

MD

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others

Old 11-06-2003, 11:15 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others (Z06-Nomad)

CPTZ06 I'm with you. Snapping back at someone this hard on your FOURTH post does not seem too smart to me.

dcessna, you can learn a lot from reading CPTZ06's posts. I would suggest to Chill out and get some "seat time" on the board before flying off the handle like that.

MD
:iagree: A better explanation of what you knew in your first post may have helped. This forum isn't for flaming, it's for advice & opinions. If you don't like someones advice take someone elses and run with it, sacrcasm will get you nothing. :nono:
:cheers:

[Modified by lager99, 9:24 AM 11/6/2003]
Old 11-06-2003, 11:27 AM
WisconsinVETTE
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others (lager99)

:lurk:
Old 11-06-2003, 07:57 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Re: Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others (WisconsinVETTE)

I stopped by the Callaway shop about a month ago. They offer a H/C package similar to what other tuners offer, so no, you don't have to spend $190K. They also had a nice looking set of long tube headers and a blue anodized throttle body machined from billet aluminum. They are also working on a new air intake called the Honker that according to their tests, flowed better than the Blackwing, Vararam and some others. The prototype was out of the shop at the time, so I couldn't get a look at it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Callaway, Lingenfelter or Others