Sponsored by:

[Z06] Competition Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 12:03 AM
MikeNMaxZO6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Competition Mode

Does anyone know what the competion driving means on your dashboard when holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds? I have asked at dealerships and no one seems to know. :D
Old 10-24-2003, 12:09 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Competition Mode (MikeNMaxZO6)

Active handling on, traction control off. It is the only mode I run in. :steering:
Old 10-24-2003, 12:14 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi MikeNMaxZO6 -

Like Racer44 says - plus I would mention that if you hit reset, the comp-mode message goes away. Took me a while (and the good folks here) to find that one out...

BTW - I used to run in comp mode all the time - now I just shut it off alltogether - I really do not want brakes dragging anytime at all - just my opinion.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 10-24-2003, 12:36 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Competition Mode (mqqn)

Hi mqqn, with my car being S/C'd I would be a fool to run with everything shut off. The car spins the tires immediately when you get on the loud pedal, even at speeds up to 75 mph sometimes. When it starts to spin so quickly it likes to move violently one way or the other. If I never had it in comp mode, it would be 360 degree mayhem. It happens just that fast. :cheers:
Old 10-24-2003, 08:31 AM
av8or3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Competition Mode (Racer44)

With traction control on,your initial timing is advanced over that when it's shut off,however when the wheels begin to spin the timing is the first thing to get
pulled,then the brakes are used and then the fuel is shut off for a second.
With the traction control off,none of this happens.The tires just spin,spin ,spin.
Active handling will help keep the tail following the nose even when traction
control is off (as in Competition Mode)
Old 10-24-2003, 11:16 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Owner's manual and/or video elaborates on the comp. mode.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:07 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

SPIN TIRES=YES
GO SIDEWAYS=NO

:cheers:
Old 10-24-2003, 01:45 PM
jackmott
Pro

no you wouldn't.

people have driven cars with way more power than you have, on way crappier tires, on less sorted suspensions, before the days of traction control.

learn to control the right foot.

Hi mqqn, with my car being S/C'd I would be a fool to run with everything shut off. The car spins the tires immediately when you get on the loud pedal, even at speeds up to 75 mph sometimes. When it starts to spin so quickly it likes to move violently one way or the other. If I never had it in comp mode, it would be 360 degree mayhem. It happens just that fast. :cheers:
Old 10-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Competition Mode (jackmott)

no you wouldn't.

people have driven cars with way more power than you have, on way crappier tires, on less sorted suspensions, before the days of traction control.

learn to control the right foot.

:rolleyes: Why take the chance? Going around a curve, as I mash the throttle in third, hitting a slight rise , instant sideways. Control my right foot? :confused: No thank you, no time. I'll stick to competition mode. You can be the "race car driver", I will be the "don't take a chance a wrecking my car driver". :seeya
Old 10-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Piranha
Racer

Does anyone know what the competion driving means on your dashboard when holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds? I have asked at dealerships and no one seems to know. :D
No flaming intended, but I don't think the original question has been answered in an easlily understandable way. I will try. If I am wrong on any of these points, please correct me.

Definitions:
1) Traction control - Fuel is cut by the computer when it detects that the back wheels are spinning at a different rate from the front wheels.

2) Active Handling - Computer applies antilock braking at any single wheel or multiple wheels if needed, and cuts the fuel (even if you are pushing the gas pedal) when it detects that the front or rear of the car is travelinig at a different rate than the other... i.e. yaw rate or fishtailing.

In normal driving mode, both of these systems are active.

If you push the button once to turn these systems off, then you are in full control of the gas, breaks etc... The computer will not correct any errors.

If you hold the button for 5 secs and enter Competitive Driving, the computer turns off traction control which controlls fuel and allows you to keep the tires spinning for burnouts etc... but keeps the active handling engaged so that it will apply braking when fishtailing is detected.

I hope that this is both correct and that it answers your questions.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

:rolleyes: Why take the chance? Going around a curve, as I mash the throttle in third, hitting a slight rise , instant sideways. Control my right foot? :confused: No thank you, no time. I'll stick to competition mode. You can be the "race car driver", I will be the "don't take a chance a wrecking my car driver". :seeya
:iagree:
AH is a god send for street driving.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:27 PM
jackmott
Pro

you could get a buick
;)

Old 10-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Competition Mode (jackmott)

Buick??? If I wanted a Buick, I would buy a boat. :D
Old 10-24-2003, 03:50 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi Racer44 -

...car spins the tires immediately when you get on the loud pedal, even at speeds up to 75 mph sometimes...
:eek: - Mine has not scared me as yet - and I still like a little sideways with my acceleration pie, but if it started kicking me at 75, I would likely reconsider that... :thumbs:

best regards -

mqqn

[Modified by mqqn, 2:50 PM 10/24/2003]
Old 10-24-2003, 04:53 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Competition Mode (mqqn)

Hi Racer44 -

...car spins the tires immediately when you get on the loud pedal, even at speeds up to 75 mph sometimes...

:eek: - Mine has not scared me as yet - and I still like a little sideways with my acceleration pie, but if it started kicking me at 75, I would likely reconsider that... :thumbs:

best regards -

mqqn

[Modified by mqqn, 2:50 PM 10/24/2003]
Actually, with Comp mode it lets you kick the rear out pretty good. Now, just to be clear, if I was tracking the car, I would have AH/TC off, absolutely. :cheers:
Old 10-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Green Goblin
Racer

Great definition Piranha! Your detailed information is exactly what was needed! :cheers:

[Modified by Green Goblin, 5:02 PM 10/24/2003]
Old 10-24-2003, 06:05 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Competition Mode (Green Goblin)

Great definition Piranha! Your detailed information is exactly what was needed! :cheers:
:iagree:

It's the unforseen "emergency maneuver" or "slight miscalculation" that makes Active Handling so valuable for day-to-day driving, imho. Several Forum members have found that out the hard way....

Get notified of new replies

To Competition Mode

Old 10-24-2003, 09:58 PM
TeamSpeed
Pro

Default Re: Competition Mode (thevettenet CA)

I built a little circuit that taps into the traction button and the armrest lighter for power. This new button switch now "holds" down my traction control button for me when I tap it and let go. A little 555 circuit coupled with a relay, and now I have a new little black button I just hit when I want comp. mode! The pic here is the second smaller version I made, back when I was thinking of making and selling these on a case by case basis.

I personally really like comp mode and use my little creation quite a bit! You can get the car sideways pretty easily still in comp. mode, so don't get a false sense of security by having active handling on. :cheers:

[Modified by TeamSpeed, 2:59 AM 10/25/2003]
Old 10-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Competition Mode (TeamSpeed)

TeamSpeed

Your idea is FANTASTIC! Would you mine if I ask you to provide me the schmetic and the wiring diagram for hooking it up?
I use CM alot and this would be cool!

Thanks

Bill Curlee
Old 10-25-2003, 09:17 AM
TeamSpeed
Pro

Default Re: Competition Mode (Bill Curlee)

I will try to write up the schematic for you. The hard part is finding the relays and connectors to push into the existing wiring harnesses. What stopped me from selling these was that I didn't know what kind of box to put my circuit in. I was going to sell these for $30. My prototype, which is the one I am using on my car, is about twice the size of this one, and I just have it sitting under the traction/air bag switch plate with tape covering the back side of the board to protect it. This works well, it just doesn't have that finished look.

I could use you as a guinea pig? I would send you the one I have as is (no box around the circuit) and you provide an assessment of what you think after you install it. The wires are bit stiff so working with this is a little hard, but the design is such that you just plug connection pins into the back of the 2 harnesses you need to tap into (power and traction switch), drill a hole for the new switch, put the switch in, and connect it. No soldering and no wire tapping. Give you your address, and after I get a chance to write up installation directions, I will send it to you.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Competition Mode