Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Cooky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection?

GM bought back my car but before the dealer will give me my check they have to inspect the car, they said I have to pay for any damage beyond reasonable wear and tear. I'm not sure what reasonable wear and tear is on a 2001 Z, but the only thing wrong with the car is some scrapping underneath the car from my driveway (hopefully they consider that reasonable). If you've been through an inspection, what do they look for? My Z looks great, unfortunately my service record folder is about 3 inches thick.
Thanks
Laurie
Old 10-21-2003, 06:42 PM
dubya
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (Cooky)

How many miles were on it? Alot of times its a prorated issue. Did they buy it back because of the lemon law?
Old 10-21-2003, 06:46 PM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (dubya)

Yeah, maybe a stupid question, but what are they buying it back for/because of??
Old 10-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (Cooky)

exactly why did gm buy back your z06?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:53 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have been involved in inspecting cars for factory buy-back. Usually the manufacturer hires a 3rd party. Both times, the inspector was a middle-aged woman. She walked around the car and eyeballed it for any marks larger than a credit card.

:lolg:

[Modified by Closer_2001, 9:01 PM 10/21/2003]
Old 10-22-2003, 12:47 AM
pwrshhftd
Pro

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (Closer_2001)

Are you the opriginal owner? How did you go about getting them to buy the car back? please give us some more details.
thanks.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:59 AM
Dashzo6
Pro

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (pwrshhftd)

My neighbor handles lemon law stuff for Audi. I will ask him when I see him.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:10 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection?

I did the Lemon Law route on a truck I owned once. The mileage and amount was handled in the contract. I took mine to the dealership and they just looked around outside and inside. Then drove it around the block with me inside. I signed the papers and it was done.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:58 AM
Cooky
Intermediate

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (pwrshhftd)

I currently have 23,000 miles on my Z. I'm the original owner, although the lemon law (this is california law) applies to any car purchased during the manufacturer warranty, even if you're the 3rd owner as long as you bought the car during the original warranty period the lemon law applies. The mileage deduction occurs from the odometer reading when you drove the car off the lot to the first time you bring the car in for service. In my case I only drove the car about 1500 miles before I started having problems. My problems include:

Oil consumption - rings were changed at 6600 miles- oil consumption problem still exists - It took forever to get them to change the rings
Transmission has been replaced twice - still having problems downshifting into 3rd.
Clutch has been replaced
Speakers stopped working, water leaks, HVAC problems, guage problems, sensor problems, the list goes on

I hired a lemon law lawyer, Delsack and Associates. I sent him my service records and he said I more than qualify for the lemon law. They sent a letter to GM. GM's original response was to give me $10,000 and I could keep the car. I told my lawyer, no way, I'm will to take this all the way to the Supreme Court, he passed that on to Chevy and told them the only solution was to buy back the car. Knowning they'd lose, they bought back the car.
I paid (yeah, I know I paid way too much) $66,006.86 CASH for the car (includes registration and sales tax) they will deduct $1,114.14 for mileage and they'll add $2500.00 for attorneys fees. I'll walk away with $65,892.72.
$66,006.86
-----------
$64,892.72
+ 2500.00
-----------
For my next car, I'm looking at the 2004 Viper, or a total change of pace I like the new Cadillac XLR, although the sticker is $76,000, they want over $25,000 in dealer markups, which I'll never pay.

My advice to anyone that wants GM to buy back their car, HIRE A LAWYER, I tried working with GM without a lawyer and just got the run around. It took about 6-7 weeks from beginning to end and GM is paying the attorneys fees.

The service manager at Boardwalk Chevrolet will inspect my car at 4pm tomorrow, he said the inspection takes about 20-30 minutes.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:13 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

$66,006.86! What got into you to buy the car at that price?

And so others know, Lemon Law lawyers usually only charge you if they win or settle.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:37 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (Shylor)

$66,006.86! What got into you to buy the car at that price?

And so others know, Lemon Law lawyers usually only charge you if they win or settle.
Note to self --- never buy car in CA
Old 10-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Patriot24
Instructor

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (Ryan2002C5)

:iagree: Damn........
Old 10-22-2003, 11:03 AM
WisconsinVETTE
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (Patriot24)

:iagree: :eek:
Old 10-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Cooky
Intermediate

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (Ryan2002C5)

We bought the Z06 and an H1 Hummer on the same day from the same dealer. We got a good deal when you combine the price of the two vehicles. I believe we paid a total of $148,000.00 for both, the H1 was new. The sticker on the H1 was around $92,000, so all in all when you add 8.25% sales tax to both cars, plus almost 2k in registration, we got a pretty good deal, and I got to drive a Z06 for 3 years for free, although it spent a lot of time in the shop, I"m happy with the overall result.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

i saw an h1 in pasadena for $110,000 in june 2003 and all it had was the gray leather seats and a locker differential... and that was msrp.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:59 AM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

QUOTE:

"My advice to anyone that wants GM to buy back their car, HIRE A LAWYER, I tried working with GM without a lawyer and just got the run around. It took about 6-7 weeks from beginning to end and GM is paying the attorneys fees. "

Unfortunately, in most cases, I think that is absolutely true. I'm an attorney and have helped out so many friends/family members with dealer-related problems that I've lost count by now. And it's always the same thing too--you go to the dealer with a legitimate gripe that no one in their right mind would ever think of disputing. But, they give you the run around and try to #@$* you three ways to Sunday. You get an attorney involved who sends out a couple "nasty grams" and BOOM everyone miraculously starts acting reasonable and the problem is solved. It sounds like you had a nightmarish experience, but I'm happy it seems to have worked out well for you. Good luck with the new ride, whatever it is. :seeya
Old 10-22-2003, 12:41 PM
pdvale
Burning Brakes

I have had two Camaros repurchased by GM. Both times someone from the dealership came out to look at the car. I kept my car in good condition so it was a breeze. I forget who told me this (BBB or GM Area Manager), but they expect the car NOT to have any dents, glass must be intact (I had to replace the windshield as it was cracked) and tires have legal tread on them. It only took a few minutes for the guy to check this and verify the VIN number. He had my check there and I was on my way.

good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection?

Old 10-22-2003, 01:47 PM
1fastdog
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (mikeo)

How many miles were on the car when you bought it?
Old 10-22-2003, 02:10 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

My problems include:

Oil consumption - rings were changed at 6600 miles- oil consumption problem still exists - It took forever to get them to change the rings
Transmission has been replaced twice - still having problems downshifting into 3rd.
Clutch has been replaced
Speakers stopped working, water leaks, HVAC problems, guage problems, sensor problems, the list goes on

:eek: :eek: :eek: WHOOAAH!!!

Good luck!! :chevy :smash:
Old 10-22-2003, 02:35 PM
Cooky
Intermediate

Default Re: GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection? (1fastdog)

The Z had about 30 miles on it when I bought it. The car is scheduled to go back to the dealer for inspection at 4pm today. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Our Hummer hasn't been without problems, we lost the motor at about 15,000 miles, because of a cracked block. (same thing happened to our first H1) About 6 weeks ago we lost a ball joint, hit a VW and totalled it. The Hummer, well except for the ball joint and broken axle, didn't have a scratch on it!

I guess I'll be driving the H1 until I get a new car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM bought back my Z06, anyone know what I can expect during the inspection?