Sponsored by:

[Z06] water under driverside floor mat

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Argo-7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water under driverside floor mat

Has any one had a problem with water on the driver side. Was cleaning the floor mat and took it out to fine the floor board wet the whole way back to behind the drivers'seat. called the dealer and will have it check on the 29th of Sept
It has rained a lot and is out sideside so far.

[Modified by Argo-7, 11:46 PM 9/15/2003]

[Modified by Argo-7, 11:47 PM 9/15/2003]
Old 09-15-2003, 06:04 PM
ty
Burning Brakes

Default Re: water under driverside floor mat (Argo-7)

The first month I had my Z I noticed (when I was in heavy rain) that water was leaking in from a screw under the steering column just above my right knee. Feel with your hand, or look under there, and you will find the screw. I didn't do anything about it and it has stopped. I did a search on this Forum about the prob and found one member who had the same problem. I sent him an IM, since he was taking his car to the dealer about the prob, but he never sent me any reponse about the fix. Could be where your prob is coming from. Post again after you have the prob solved. :cheers:
Old 09-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Argo-7
Advanced

Default Re: water under driverside floor mat (ty)

Thanks Ty. :cheers:
Old 09-17-2003, 02:21 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: water under driverside floor mat (Argo-7)

OK,,,,, I just went through this "wet interior" problem on my 98 coupe. It not a Z06 but I got a masters degree in solving water problems on a C5. My leaks were from THREE separate places.

1. The first water problem came from the rubber hose that supplies cool air to the ventilation fan motor. On humid days when you run the A/C this hose drips condensation on the BCM, Theft Deterrent relay and it got the carpet jute wet in the passengers side foot area. (SIDE NOTE) I also kept getting reduced engine power, charging system failure, ect ect DIC warning messages all at the same time on wet/damp days. This is what was causing it!!!!!!!! A wet/damp BCM module.
2. Second problem came from the A/C Heater box condensation drain clogging up. I posted for help on the forum and got the solution there. There is a small rubber hose on the fire wall (directly below the passenger side head) that restricted the water draining out of the A/C air box. The box filled up and over flowed into the passengers foot well. I remover the hose and it now drains like a champ!
3. I had soaked driver’s side carpets and found out that the water came in from the wiring harness for the wiper motor. If the 3 drain tubes that drain the windshield cowl on the drivers side clog up you will have two problems! Wet drivers side carpets and a wiper motor casualty. My wiper motor started failing and I found out that it was FLOODED. The wiper motor and bulkhead wiring harness seal sit in a well below the windshield. If the well fills with water because the drains are plugged, "STAND BY FOR WATER PROBLEMS"! Every time I wash the car I now make sure that all three drain tubes are free of trash and there is no free standing water in the well.
There is also a drain tube on the passengers side that needs to be checked every so often. You have to remove the access in the wheel well area to get to it!

I removed the carpets, dried them out and fixed the leaks/water problems. Now I know that there are other maintenance issues that need to be ADDED to the ones listed in the maintenance manuals. KEEP YOUR DRAINS FREE AND CLEAR!

I hope that this helps you guys/gals solve some of your problems.

PS, While the carpets were out I added some insulation to the floor boards. WOW what a difference it made in heat and road noise!!!

[Modified by Bill Curlee, 1:26 AM 9/17/2003]
Old 09-22-2003, 08:48 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Default Re: water under driverside floor mat (Bill Curlee)

So how did you fix the problem with the A/C hose dripping condensate on the BCM? Shield the BCM?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: water under driverside floor mat (TEXHAWK0)

TEX

I wraped the hose in that aluminum foil coated bubble wrap stuff that they sell at home depot. After that "NO PROBLEMS with the AC vent hose. I bet that you could use plain old bubble wrap. Anything to keep the humid air off of the cold hose! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Bill Curlee
Old 09-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Tom T.
Racer

Bill,

Awesome troubleshooting on the water problems.

TT :cheers:
Old 09-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Argo-7
Advanced

Default Re: water under driverside floor mat (Tom T.)

Bill

It is going for service on the 29th will print all the above info for the tech. Thanks to all for your help. I dirve it like I stole It.
Jim

[Modified by Argo-7, 4:40 PM 9/23/2003]
Old 09-24-2003, 12:32 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: water under driverside floor mat (Tom T.)

Tom
No problem. I get my fair share of problems solved here and I realy enjoy returning the favors!!~! This forum is GREAT!!!

Bill C
Old 09-26-2003, 11:55 AM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I had the same problem with wiper motor running on it's own...took it to the dealer and they had several Vettes with cowl drain all stopped up. Sure enough my 3 drains were stopped up. Cleaned the drain and haven't had the problem since. But when we had the hurricane come through the pass side was FLOODED. I thought it might have been the weatherseal but I think it might have been pass side cowl drain(I couldn't get to the pass side drain from the top). I will take the pass side wheel well out to check. Will keep you posted.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: water under driverside floor mat (ragtopws6)

I thought my wet carpet problem was a thing of the past, :cuss :cuss :mad !!! I drove the 98 to work knowing it was going to rain "A LOT" last week and I got out of the car and left the passengers window open by accident. :cuss :cuss :rolleyes: the window was half way down and I hit the lower button instead of the raise button. My windows are so clean it's difficult to tell if the window is up or down!

Sucks to be S T U P I D !!!! The passengers carpet had to come out AGAIN and get dried out. Its a good thing it was my fault and not another leak.

All should be back together again tomorrow! :thumbs: I can remove the passengers side trim, seat and carpet. is less than 7 minutes!!!!! :D I guess theres a bright side to every black cloud!!

Bill C

Get notified of new replies

To water under driverside floor mat

Quick Reply: [Z06] water under driverside floor mat