Sponsored by:

[Z06] Getting into Competition Mode more easily

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 12:02 PM
TeamSpeed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting into Competitve Driving Mode more easily

I have seen the box you can buy for $110 that puts your TCC/AH into competition mode based on the last setting, but I didn't want to spend that much for that kind of functionality.

I instead pulled out some old electronics books and built a time delay relay that fits into a small black project box, plugs into the back of the TCC switch harness and the power accessory harness, and is triggered by a new small black switch. This neat little contraption allows me to tap the button once, and it will put the car into competition mode for me. There is enough room under the console to slide the box, and put the small TCC/AH cover plate back on. Love it!

:cheers:

4 quick pin connections, drill a hole for the black pushbutton switch, and you are in business! My install time was about 10 minutes and cost was just under $22 with Radio Shack parts. Just an idea for you hardware folks!

[Modified by TeamSpeed, 2:06 PM 6/27/2003]
Old 06-26-2003, 12:27 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Re: Getting into Competition Mode more easily (TeamSpeed)

:cool:
Old 06-26-2003, 01:58 PM
TeamSpeed
Pro

Default Re: Getting into Competition Mode more easily (CPT Z06)

I would post some pics, but the button is hidden away a bit and there is nothing else to see except for my circuit board. I plan on build a 2nd more finished product and giving it to a fellow Z06 owner here in town for his impressions. I bet that I could add another internal switch (dipswitch or otherwise) that would take a signal from the ignition switch (switched power), and always place the car into competition mode upon startup. That might be better yet. Of course that means taking the entire shifter console off in order to tap into a different power line than the one I am currently.

[Modified by TeamSpeed, 7:20 PM 6/26/2003]
Old 06-27-2003, 12:53 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Can you hit the button and then just start driving normaly and it will engage in 5 seconds or does it go in immediately after you press the button?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:32 AM
MyFate
Heel & Toe

please send me schematics. I would love to do this mod.

you are :cool:
Old 06-27-2003, 09:04 AM
TeamSpeed
Pro

The circuit I built holds the switch for you for 6 seconds so you don't have to. I don't know of a way to put it into competitive driving any other way other than to talk to the computer (yeech). Just hit the switch and watch your console change 5 sec later.

I just built another one last night, amazing how much smaller I can make the circuit once I have a couple under my belt. It is about 1 x 1.5 inches. I may have to install this new one and archive my original!

The circuit is just a basic monostable 555 circuit. If you do a search for 555 monostable in google/yahoo, there are a few sites that have good schematics for this type of thing. I would host the drawing, but I am at work and cannot get access to my webspace right now.

Once I am done with everything on this latest one, I will post a pic of the box, wiring, and switch.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:45 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like it's no longer possible to drive with both AH and TC engaged, once you've hit the button ... unless the circuit keeps track of the current state with a flip-flop or something.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03
Default Re: Getting into Competition Mode more easily (Jerry Velders)

It sounds like it's no longer possible to drive with both AH and TC engaged, once you've hit the button ... unless the circuit keeps track of the current state with a flip-flop or something.
As I read and understand this, all his added switch does is simulate the factory button being pressed for 6 seconds and releases. Then (once into comp mode), everything works like normal. To turn TC back on, just hit the (stock) AH button again like you would do now.

Or, I could be wrong too. :D

Old 06-27-2003, 11:44 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Getting into Competition Mode more easily (Y2Kvert4me)

As I read and understand this, all his added switch does is simulate the factory button being pressed for 6 seconds and releases. Then (once into comp mode), everything works like normal. To turn TC back on, just hit the (stock) AH button again like you would do now.
That's what I mean. If every tap of the button initiates the 6-sec delay, then it's impossible to do anything but ENABLE comp mode. The second 'tap' would also create the delay... unless of course the circuit keeps track of 'taps' and toggles the delay off/on.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:47 AM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

No, he added a second button which has the delay. Push the added button equals pressing stock AH button for 6 seconds. The stock AH button functions as normal no matter what.

Old 06-27-2003, 11:50 AM
TeamSpeed
Pro

Y2KVert, you are right on the money. My added switch is the arming switch for the circuit, which in turn, holds down the TCC/AH switch for you for about 6 seconds. The factory switch operations does not change. Hit my new switch, go into competitive driving mode. Hit the factory switch, and you go back to TCC/AH on, hit factory switch again, you turn off TCC/AH, you hold factory switch for 5 sec, you turn on CD mode. No difference.

A monostable timing switch only holds power to a relay (which goes to your factory switch) for a determinate time based on the resister/capacitor values in the circuit, armed by a switch that sets the signal voltage low. Then it all goes silent. No flip/flops needed.

Now, once you have engaged the timing circuit, you cannot change settings at all but only for the 6 second while the circuit is active, if that is what you are asking.

:steering:

[Modified by TeamSpeed, 4:53 PM 6/27/2003]

[Modified by TeamSpeed, 5:52 PM 6/27/2003]
Old 06-27-2003, 12:09 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

I get it ... missed the part about the second switch. Great idea!
Old 06-27-2003, 01:01 PM
TeamSpeed
Pro

Thank you. I would rather people ask questions. I went thru this same thing when I started building Xbox Live splitters for the Xbox community!

Better to ask a question than to assume something that is not correct. :cheers:
Old 06-27-2003, 08:43 PM
TeamSpeed
Pro

Default Re: Getting into Competitve Driving Mode more easily (TeamSpeed)

Here is the pic of my latest one I just finished, as promised. ALOT smaller than my prototype one that is currently installed on my car! :)

What is interesting is that 5 sec goes by alot faster when you are not holding down that button for that time. Something like "a watched pot never boils", I guess. I hit the 2nd button, and the chime seems to occur faster now. Funny how that happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting into Competition Mode more easily

Quick Reply: [Z06] Getting into Competition Mode more easily