Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question

Old 05-19-2003, 10:49 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question

I’ve posted this before and can’t believe no one has done it or knows the anwer, but here goes again.

I want to put Sport Seats into a Z06

For the driver’s side, the Z06 has one wiring connector, whereas the Sport Seats have two connectors. One appears to be power for the seat functions and the other connector is related to the retractable steering column “easy exit” feature available in Coupes and verts.

When I plugged the one in (connector size matched and apparently so did the wire colors), the seat did not work correctly (up wasn’t up, down wasn’t down, etc).

Has anyone figured out why it doesn’t work and what the fix is?

For passenger side, got a harness from Gene at KarShop that has the power connector. Haven’t installed, but appears to be what is needed to make the passenger power work.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:42 AM
ACELRNT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question (NealB)

On the C5, GM reverses the up/down and all lumbar pin-outs between left and right seats. This was done so they could flip the control switches from LH to RH and up/down stays correct. Is it possible that the switch panels have been swapped? Or LH/RH harness plug ends? The schematic shows that memory seats use a Seat Control Module (SCM) thats includes a Serial Data connection. The non-memory seats usea Seat Relay Center module that does not include serial data, but shares many connections with the SCM. If I had your existing Plug and Wire colors, I could tell you exactly whats going on.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:50 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question (ACELRNT)

thanks for the offer of help

I'm not going to be home till Thurs (traveling on business) and will look then

I have memory feature in my Z06 and the Sport Seats did too

will get connector wire positions and colors, but I believe they match on the one plug the Z06 has with the mate on the Sport Seats

and, don't think the Sport Seats have been altered
Old 05-25-2003, 07:52 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

So, installed both seats today.

I took the easy way out on the driver's side -- took the OEM seat track and seat control assy and bolted the Sport Seat to it. As soon as I get to a dealer, I'll try to piece together the right stuff (think I need a different harness) to get the original base seats back to stock configuration. The Seat Control Module for both Z06 stock and vert Sport Seat were the same part number, but the wiring harnesses were very differnt.

for the passenger side, took the Coupe harness bought from Gene at the KarShop and dissected it. Lots of work to replace harnesses, so I took the seat sub-harness out of the Coupe harness and plugged it into the Z06 fuse box. Works fine. Will document this later.

Old 05-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Teddy98Z28M6
Pro

Neal are you putting in the sport seats so you can put in some kind of 5-point belt system? :steering:
Old 05-26-2003, 10:23 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question (Teddy98Z28M6)

eventually, yes, but when and if I do use it for SCCA autocross, I'll have to replace with the stock seats

that's why I want a 4 bolts only quick replacement capability

the main reason now is that ever since trading the Coupe for the Z, wife has let me know she misses certain features

so, in the interest of marital bliss, I've been adding them back (auto headlights, tire press sensor, better seats)
Old 05-26-2003, 10:30 AM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Neal: Going to all this trouble for your wife. What a great husband you are!

Look forward to running into you again someday and seeing all the updates since I last saw the Z.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Lambinator
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In V AutoX Winner

Default Re: Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question (C5 StockSwap)

If you are putting Sport seats into the Z06, they will drop right in and hook up just fine, no changes needed. You just need to make sure the seats are from a non-telescopic steering wheel donor car, and it has/doesn't have memory (match your car's option). Otherwise, you'll need a new seat wiring harness and seat control module (the black box attached to the seat bottom) to eliminate odd actions from the power seat switch. In other words, the memory/telescope options on the donor car need to match the options on your car to avoid extra headaches and costs.

If you are converting base seats to sport seats (like Vette Essentials did for me), you need new seat foam, new trim, the air bladders/pumps/lines for lumbar and bolsters, a new seat control module, a new wiring harness, and a new seat switch with lumbar controls.

You can't go power on the pass side at all without running new wiring off the body harness.

Old 05-28-2003, 03:34 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question (SpeedStyleSound)

thanks for the reply

I have found that out the hard way. The driver seat I got was obviously from a telescoping steering wheel car. The SCM on my Z06 (with memory seats) is the same part number as the one on the Sport Seats. I have tried to order a different underseat wiring harness, but don't have confidence the parts guy ordered the right one. If you have a PN for the harness, that would be very helpful.

On the passenger side, I did run wires from the original power location in the footwell fuse box and to ground at the original location.

Old 05-28-2003, 03:53 PM
Lambinator
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In V AutoX Winner

12455476=driver sport memory seat wiring harness

12455477=pass sport harness

Noma Automotive is the supplier.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:42 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

thanks!

that is a great help

I reordered just now, and will know the answer when I get back from the Power Tour next wee.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:49 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

SpeedStyleSound

got the PN you recommended and it is what I already have that doesn't work

it has an extra blue connector to go to the car wiring harness that a Z06 doesn't have

any other suggestions other than figuring out the wiring diagrams and trial and error on building my own harness?

Old 06-05-2003, 06:25 PM
Lambinator
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In V AutoX Winner

If I recall correctly the blue connector goes to the seat (air bladder motors or switch?), not to the body harness....it's been a while now but I am sure the part number I gave you was the right one for the options I listed...maybe you have different options?
Old 06-05-2003, 10:02 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question (SpeedStyleSound)

I don't think so

the seats I bought had the complete air system hooked up, and the blue connector wasn't hooked to anything

and, the blue connector is adjacent to the black one that definitely goes to the body harness
Old 06-05-2003, 10:25 PM
ACELRNT
Advanced

The Seat Relay Module and the Seat Pump Module in the non-memory seats must have all it's orange leads connected to constant 12V source and the black leads to ground.

The Seat Control Module in the memory seats adds a brown/white wire that must be connected to the Serial Dala Link, (provided that your vehicle has the memory option), in addition to all orange to a constant 12V source and black to ground.

Correct fusing for the memory seats would be:
Connector C1, pin3 ORN to SCM-L Fuse4 'A' side (10A)
Connector C3, pinA ORN to PWR ST/DRV CircuitBreaker35 'A' side (20A)
Old 06-06-2003, 12:21 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

yes, thanks, that is what my Helms manual shows for the black body connector to the body power sources

but, the driver Sport Seat I have has the matching black connector, plus a blue one that my Z06 does not have on its body harness

when only the black connector is plugged into the Z06 body harness, the seat controls do not operate properly even though the Seat Control Module is the same part number on the original Z06 seat and the Sport Seat

that's what I'm trying to figure out -- the wiring on the seat itself so that the seat controls including the memory functions, plus the air bladder functions work correctly

was hoping to buy a new seat wiring harness from GM, but apparently that isn't available

other than piecemealing something together and trial and erroring, don't know where to turn
Old 06-06-2003, 12:58 AM
ACELRNT
Advanced

And the blue connector wire colors are...?
Old 06-06-2003, 08:47 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

it is an 8 pin connector, two rows of four

looking into the male (seat) side, with the connector retainer snap on top

top row blank --- orange ---- pink --- orange
bottom row red black purple black (maybe brown)

one real difference in the OEM sport seat harness I have, besides having the blue connector, is that the wiring going into the SCM has about twice as many wires as the harness on the Z06 came with

plus of course, connectors to go to the air pump and many more wires going to the connector for the seat adjustment module on the side of the seat

Get notified of new replies

To Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Sport Seats into Z06 wiring question